Thread: Thumbhole Stock Question

Basic Member

Thumbhole Stock Question

I have a question for you thumb hole guys that maybe you can help me with. I am a left handed shooter with a right hand action. Would the thumb hole work well for any of you guys if you held it left handed. If I could get any of you guys to grab ahold of your rifle with a left hand hold. to see how it feels and let me know I would really appreciate it. I have been looking at them hoping it might work, otherwise I am going to have to make the factory stock work my moding it or moding a wooden stock.
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    I have a question for you thumb hole guys that maybe you can help me with. I am a left handed shooter with a right hand action. Would the thumb hole work well for any of you guys if you held it left handed. If I could get any of you guys to grab ahold of your rifle with a left hand hold. to see how it feels and let me know I would really appreciate it. I have been looking at them hoping it might work, otherwise I am going to have to make the factory stock work my moding it or moding a wooden stock.
    I have two Boyd's thumbhole light weights (not "at one"). They are right hand. Left hand in the hole feels real awkward. Of coarse the cheekpiece is different than the at-one so nothing to compare there. The thumbhole probably could be re-contoured to fit better, but it might be less work to make a right hand stock out of a lefty.

PLASTICWELD
    I have an AT ONE thumb hole right hand with a model 10 TBR, staggerfeed, bull, in coyote. The stock is shaped exactly the same on both the left and right sides so it would work perfectly for your purpose. I pillared and bedded mine and my OCD got the better of me so i drilled the stock and made a brass bushing to snug up the adjustable cheek piece. It wasnt bad to start with but i couldnt help myself.

I just received one of the Boyds AT One stocks today. I'll be doing a full review on it in the near future. Its an ambidextrous design that allows you to use it from either side. I shoot lefty and built my Cousin a rifle using one of the right handed Boyds featherweight thumbhole stocks. I had to use it sorta like a vertical grip in order to test it and it was pretty awkward. Though I haven't even installed it yet I don't foresee any problem shooting the new AT One from either side.
    I
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I just received one of the Boyds AT One stocks today. I'll be doing a full review on it in the near future. Its an ambidextrous design that allows you to use it from either side. I shoot lefty and built my Cousin a rifle using one of the right handed Boyds featherweight thumbhole stocks. I had to use it sorta like a vertical grip in order to test it and it was pretty awkward. Though I haven't even installed it yet I don't foresee any problem shooting the new AT One from either side.
    I

Thanks a ton that is just the kind of information I was looking for.

As a fellow southpaw I will tell you the answer to this question depends on the stock design. Some thumbhole stocks are ambidextrous in design, others are hand specific - the latter being extremely uncomfortable to shoot with the other hand than they were designed for.

A few years back the then marketing manager at Savage Arms decided to have a little fun at my expense by sending me a B-Mag Target Thumbhole rifle to review which had a right-hand specific thumbhole stock on it (full review can be found here). The stock was the same pattern as the Boyds Varmint Thumbhole with a roll-over cheek piece comb and vertical grip. As Big Honkin Jeep stated, shooting one of those with the wrong hand is akin to an exercise in futility that will only lead to an expansion of your vocabulary of obscene words and phrases.

Thumbholes with an ambidextrous design on the other hand are very comfortable to shoot from either side. Most have a much larger opening for your thumb to go through and no cheek piece or rollover on the comb. Examples would include the following:

Boyds At-One Thumbhole

Manners T5 and T5A

Manners EH5 and EH5A

Stockade Coyote Stalker and Elk Stalker
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Seem like I read they can be used either way. As good as I am with my left hand, anything would feel awkward to me!

But sounds like they got you covered..

Basic Member
    A real nice write up about the Savage B Mag in the .17

The real question is, so which of those that you are familiar with, would you buy?

I own only one left hand action rifle, the rest of my rifles are all right hand action that I have to make work as best I can. This is the one reason I thought about trying to adapt the wooden stock off a 700 Rem. I figured why not chop it all up, to make it work, add an adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, and then chop up the grip so that it fit left handed. It might look like a Frankenstein stock when I am done. One part of me would just love to buy my way out of the flimsy stock on the Axis, but I really don't want to spend money on something that is rigid but not comfortable. The Frankin stock might just be a fun project.

Going to split the last several posts off into a new thread so we're not hijacking the OP's thread.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

That's better...

The fact that we're dealing with an Axis here changes things a lot as I think Boyds is the only thumbhole option for an Axis and only their AT-One Thumbhole pattern would be lefty friendly with a right-hand rifle.

Basic Member
    I think boyds make a lefthand right hand bolt stock for the axis
    you might want to check it out

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWW123 View Post
    I think boyds make a lefthand right hand bolt stock for the axis
    you might want to check it out

Thanks, I did not see that on their website and the sales department at Boyds is not answering.

Basic Member
    A month or so ago there was a LH right bolt thumbhole for sale in the rapid fire close out that I sent the link to a friend who is left handed, I think you can put the left hand right bolt when you build the stock on there website

Basic Member
    Thanks, I did not see that on their website and the sales department at Boyds is not answering.
    They are really slow in answering. The best thing I found to do was to leave a detailed phone message. They do eventually call back. They had the wrong photo associated with the stock that I wanted to order one time. So the description in my shopping cart was correct, but the image was wrong. I waited to talk to an actual person before placing my order. It was a couple of days before they called me back, but we got is straightened out and I got the one I wanted.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
    They are really slow in answering. The best thing I found to do was to leave a detailed phone message. They do eventually call back. They had the wrong photo associated with the stock that I wanted to order one time. So the description in my shopping cart was correct, but the image was wrong. I waited to talk to an actual person before placing my order. It was a couple of days before they called me back, but we got is straightened out and I got the one I wanted.
    My first call was to them yesterday, I missed their return phone call this afternoon. I did leave a message detailing my needs. I did only ask if their stock was left hand friendly...I will try again tomorrow.

Basic Member
    I have found there phone follow up to be slow, good luck I'm sure they can help you

I am lefty shooter, and have Boyd's stock for left handed bolt actions rifle, and when a righty wants to shoot my rifle, very difficult.

USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High