Thread: Any interest in a scope comparison?

Basic Member

Any interest in a scope comparison?

I have a few scopes that I could do a side by side comparison of if anyone is interested. I also have some that I have access to that some friends and relatives have.

I have been thinking about building a turret tracking jig to see how well they track. I can post results if anyone is interested.

I have mainly mid and high end Burris (XTR2's, veracity, mtac) , low end Zeiss (v4 conquest), Athalon (midas BTR, Argos BTR, Talos BTR), scopes, low-ish end Bushnell (trophy and trophy extreme)

I can get ahold of the Cabelas Covenant, SWFA, Steiner, possibly a couple different Sightrons and if anyone really cares Shepard.

If anyone is in FAR northern Minnesota wants to bring something to add, that would be fine/encouraged.

If there is no interest it doesn't need to go farther than this :)

Basic Member
    Sounds pretty interesting to me. Looking forward to it now :)

Basic Member
    Totally interested...I love scope review comparisons. It's just too hard for the normal guy to know what to buy. I am especially interested in the glass clarity vs. price comparison.

I'm always interested in useful product comparisons I think you might find an optical resolution chart and maybe an eye chart useful in your comparisons.
    I don't know why big box retailers don't put them up inside their stores. Since they cant replicate dusk and dawn at distance inside the stores the charts would be very helpful for customers to help really show the difference in optics.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Two things I would recommend though...

1) Compare similar optics to one another
    What I mean here is don't compare a 5-15x40mm to a 5-25x56mm and instead try to compare models of the same range and size (i.e. two 3-9x40mm's). Doing so makes it a lot easier to compare them side by side - and will make it clearly obvious is one falls short on or has more magnification than claimed. Price range isn't as big a factor as the quality should naturally go up with higher priced, and you may just find a true bargain in the mix.

2. Establish a standardized and repeatable test so the results for each scope are directly comparable to those for another scope.

This recent article by John Barness might give you some ideas for testing methods.
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/index...flescopes.html
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me!

Two things I would recommend though...

1) Compare similar optics to one another
    What I mean here is don't compare a 5-15x40mm to a 5-25x56mm and instead try to compare models of the same range and size (i.e. two 3-9x40mm's). Doing so makes it a lot easier to compare them side by side - and will make it clearly obvious is one falls short on or has more magnification than claimed. Price range isn't as big a factor as the quality should naturally go up with higher priced, and you may just find a true bargain in the mix.

2. Establish a standardized and repeatable test so the results for each scope are directly comparable to those for another scope.

This recent article by John Barness might give you some ideas for testing methods.
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/index...flescopes.html
    I'm not so sure I'd agree with your #1 suggestion. Instead I'd just do a single compiled table of all the scopes and just list out their results. The reader can make their own inferences about them. I think if you break it down as you have suggested, the OP most likely won't have enough samples to compare against. But this is just my 2 cents.

And for the record, this is an awesome idea and would love to see it.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'd definitely be interested.

Basic Member
    Somebody do a comparison between the Nikon FX1000 6x24x50 and the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5x25x50. I'm in analysis paralysis over this purchase.....

Basic Member
    I will do what I can. I was looking to just add to the site as well as I can. I don't have time for more contribution like being a moderator (back in the 1990's I was a contributor for an audio website, and even then I couldn't be a mod).

I visit this sight almost every day and just looking for a way to contribute, and as my brother said "you have a scope obsession". I may not have top end stuff, but I read a LOT and have a science background. So, turret testing and recording data are my strong points. But I want to help out.