Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 110 Scout Rifle, factory peep sights are not workable

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by doowroh View Post
    Just got my Savage Scout back. I haven't been able to get to the range to shoot/evaluate it yet.
    What are you're thoughts on the barrel being "untrue". Seems a bit too good to be true.

As far as "untrue", was that their explanation and fix?
    I shortened an ER Shaw barrel once and noticed it had a lot of curvature in the bore. Indexed it high at 12:00 and chambered accordingly.....long story short, it shot so high that a Bushnell elite did not have enough moa (only 34 moa total) to reach zero (as your iron sights). Rather than change to Burris Sig see rings, I switched out the scope to a vortex viper with 54moa spread and I was golden.
    If their "untrue" is barrel indexing then I could see it happen.
    Some Savages suffer the same affliction in the horizontal caused by a combination of barrel curvature, recoil lug thickness inconsistency and sometimes the scope bases screws are not in line with the action center-line.
    Keep us posted

Unfortunately, I just came back from the range and have the same problem as the OP. It is not the shooter. It is the sight setup. It is not workable. Yes, the front sight blade has to be higher.
    I will contact Savage to see what they say. I am NOT happy about this and I expect much more from Savage.

I am planning to run a scope on this, but I want the irons to be proper. Otherwise, I just take off the scout rail and irons and get an EGW rail for a conventional scope setup. Not what I want to have to do. But I will.

It is Monday and I will call Savage about this iron sight problem. They need to fix this. I am sure they will get lots of complaints about it. It is poor engineering on their part.

I have already removed the rear iron peep sight and the scout rail. I am installing an EGW base and my Weaver Grand Slam 2-10 scope on this rifle. It no longer is a scout rifle. That is OK. It is a great gun other than that iron sight issue.

If Savage comes up with a better iron sight setup, great. I will not need it at this point. I will have a soft-shooting, short bbl .308.

Team Savage
    Been following this since I have owned two of the older Model 11 scout rifles in the past. They had more traditional front sights, but I do like the design of the protected front sight on these later scouts.

Here's my take - Savage should be ashamed of themselves for putting the wrong front sight on these rifles, and they should fix the problem. Full stop.

Suggesting that someone should have to personally modify a factory sight and then be happy with that is ridiculous. Do some of us do those things? Sure we do. But it's because we want to, and under no circumstances should we have to. Savage should fix this problem, period.

Army_eod, I hope you get what you need out of Savage. You are spot-on. It really is poor engineering out of Savage and it's a black mark on them IMO.

Savage scout rifles are a real treat when they work correctly. I gave one of mine to my brother for his 50th birthday, complete with iron sights (that worked) and a Weaver 4x scout scope. He absolutely LOVES that rifle. His son has fallen in love with it too.

I wouldn't be satisfied until Savage fixed the issue if I were you.

I just spoke to Savage customer service. They are clueless. All they know is to tell me to "send it in." I told her I am not sending it in and if they do not understand or know they have a problem with this model then it reflects poorly on their business.

She is a robot. No knowledge of firearms. I did say I was not happy with them.

So contacting Savage is futile. I am just making the best of it and setting up a conventional scope mounting.

Good luck to you all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
    I just spoke to Savage customer service. They are clueless. All they know is to tell me to "send it in." I told her I am not sending it in and if they do not understand or know they have a problem with this model then it reflects poorly on their business.

She is a robot. No knowledge of firearms. I did say I was not happy with them.

So contacting Savage is futile. I am just making the best of it and setting up a conventional scope mounting.

Good luck to you all.
    Often customer service people are trained to "act dumb" when known problems surface. This scout sight issue and right now their new "axis" style bolt/FTF problems are two that come to mind. Members posts reflect this. Often liability for recall is their greatest fear. A lot of companies practice this.

That sucks. One "solution" might be to find a sadly discontinued Lyman 57 for the Savage . . . but you shouldn't have to and that would involve additional receiver holes.

I had a similar issue shooting Remington slugs from a Hastings barrel and was able to find a very shallow Williams rear leaf from Brownells. The rear on the Scout looks very much like the Williams 336 WGRS but I don't see where there are any lower peep slides for the ramp that might be an after-market fix.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Keeping this rifle. I just scoped it with a great piece of glass. Thing weighs 9lbs 2 oz unloaded, but is well balanced. It is now a keeper.

I just picked up my new Ruger American Predator in 350 Legend. She is scoped with a Weaver GS and weighs in at 7 lbs 1 oz unloaded. It also ha a 16 inch bbl and muzzle brake. Nice rifle.

Basic Member
    Makes you wonder what Savage was thinking if you cant zero it out at 50 to 75 yards.

Agreed. There is not much sense in running a "Scout" rifle that doesn't have effective iron sights. Otherwise you can save the weight and expense of the iron sights and get a better scope interface with an iron-sightless rifle.

Obvious this is a QC issue with the front sight assembly simply being too short to properly zero. I’m shocked this left the factory.

So how much taller do you think the front sight needs to be a 1/16 or an 1/8 inch

How much taller? No idea. Regardless, I finally traded this thing away on a 1980 Colt Trooper MK III.

Basic Member
    FORS front opposite, rear same. is there any way to raise the front, it will lower POA and POI, if you are already bottomed out in the rear. Also, if you strike out with Savage, take a look at the various fronts that Lyman makes. It might be the least frustrating and most expeditious way to handle this problem.

If you knew someone with a vertical mill that could dovetail out the one piece sight and ears fitting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GnkxRdy.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	6834

I was wondering about grinding flat the front blade and tapping in a thread for a vertical screw post - like an AR-15 front sight.

There are oodles of variations on the threaded post front.

Modifying for the A2 (or similar) adjustable front sight post is also what I think I would do had I not just given up and mounted a Sightron in the traditional location. Savage crapped the bed with the irons on this one.

Basic Member
    I’m sorry to hear about your issues. I have the older model 11 and have not had an issue with my irons. My guess is that they used the front sight from this model which has a 2” longer barrel. Maybe the shorter barrel length of the new model with that same front sight is the cause of the this sighting issue.

I go hunting often, and I am asking about a rangefinder because I use one when I go hunting. It is something that can help a lot... I go hunting on my bike and when you hunt for small animals it is actually cool. I go everywhere on my bike, and it is great. My car is sitting in the garage all the time, and I drive it only when I go shopping for a lot of stuff. Anyway if anyone needs a good rangefinder, check out ATN website, you can use them for a lot of stuff.

Has anybody tried rising the comb height provide for more adjustability in the rear sight? I took my 110 Scout to the range today and am suffering from the same problem. I've taken the rear peep as far back/down as you can and am still about 6 inches high.

Quote Originally Posted by doowroh View Post

Actually that’s not the way I see it... Move the rear sight in the same direction you wish to move the point of impact, or move the front sight in the opposite direction you wish to move the point of impact. That’s what I’ve always been taught. Perhaps I misunderstand though.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=3
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Hi,
    I have the same problem with an Axis II scout in 7.62x39. Was getting light strikes too. Gunsmith says nothing wrong, sights all the way to bottom and left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12