I purchased a new 110 Scout rifle in .308 a few weeks ago and decided to try and master the factory peep sights before buying an optic. I've shot it twice now - once in the woods and once at an actual range. When I shot it in the woods, I got the rifle sighted in OK at around 25 yards, but it would hit nearly a foot high at 120 yards with the back sight nearly all the day down. At the range, I could barely get it to hit on the paper at 50 yards and many of my shots went right over the top of the target and into the backstop - no matter where I set the rear sight elevation.

I took it back home, lined a long straightedge up on the picatinny rail, and found that the center of the rear Williams peep was a good 3/16" higher than the top of the front blade, even with the rear sight adjusted all of the way down. No wonder I couldn't hit anything - either the factory front sight is too low or the Williams peep is just too high.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's a bit frustrating to have a brand new $700 gun with factory sights that aren't workable. I contacted Savage via email and sent them pictures showing the situation, hopefully they will rectify the issue.

Pics of sights against straightedge:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMjemP6YnPmmCvsy6