Thread: Savage Axis & Edge trigger

Savage Axis & Edge trigger

Hi all I'm very new to this so it's a learning curve :) please excuse

My buddy has an Edge, I have an Axis.

So we purchased a trigger upgrade kit for both. (over travel screw & spring )

Came to install on both our rifles and found he has a different trigger set up to mine in that his overtravel spring/bolt location isn't threaded, whereas mine is (you just unscrew the OEM spring and away you go)

So, i did a little research and asked savage a few questions, to find the edge was the first rifle introduced and they, for some reason, just changed the name to Axis with everything the same setup etc so basically it was just a name change.

My question is why is his trigger different to mine

Thanks in advance

Probably just a matter of a few years between when his was made and when yours was made. When the Axis/Edge first came out it was completely bare bones/no frills. After a few years Savage started adding features to them here and there (AccuTrigger, heavy barrel option, hardwood stock option, etc). It could also just be a matter of changing suppliers for the trigger or a minor design revision at some point.

I will tell you this though, don't try to tap it as you'll likely just break your tap off as they're hardened.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yes we did look at trying to tap it out but backed off as you say its hardened...Is there a similar trigger kit like it that doesn't have the threaded area...Thank you for your help much appreciated

If this is the basic trigger (non-AccuTrigger), you can lighten it up by replacing the wire spring on the side with one made from 0.049" piano wire. Do a Google search for "Savage Trigger + Piano Wire".
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I too had one of the early Savage Edge rifles. My brother and I bought them sight unseen based on reviews. there was a pretty sharp learning curve there as at the time there was no aftermarket and little sharing of info as tinkers scrambled to find ways to improve them.
    Mine too had the trigger spring hole that wasn't threaded. The solution I used is to put a roll pin in the hole from the hardware store, (right off hand I cant remember what size so you may need to take the trigger with you to find one that fits snugly) cut it to length shorter than the safety screw, slide the new spring over the roll pin and and use the roll pin to capture the trigger spring and hold it in place.
    Not a competition trigger by any means but it was much better than it came from the factory. wound up being at about 3# maybe a little more or less.
    Good luck and I hope this helps.

Here's an old link and the photos are gone but it describes the same trigger job I was talking about
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com...40#Post1717240
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 02-24-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: to add link
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Thank you all.