Thread: extractor question

extractor question

I purchased a Savage 11 223 caliber a year ago. I soon after began having problems extracting the cartridge. It didnt matter if it was a loaded round or spent cartridge. I changed factory ammo and the problem seemed to persist. I feel like the extractor is actually pushing the round into the chamber to far . Sometimes the bullet even becomes stuck in the rifling and several times the exractor has pulled the casing from bullet and left the round stuck in the chamber. Does any one have an idea what the problem may be? Is it a chamber problem or extractor issue?

Basic Member
    Welcome to the site
    It sounds like a chamber issue because you said you are pulling bullets out of the shell sometimes
    I would clean the chamber/barrel with a good cleaner and see if that helps.
    If it does not, a closer look at the chamber is in order.
    Do you know if the barrel is a factory savage barrel or an aftermarket?

It is a factory.

Basic Member
    Are you having to forcefully close the bolt to chamber the round? And when you say it does not matter if it's a spent cartridge, what do you mean? if you chamber empty brass it won't extract?

from time to it will load normally. But sometimes if i shoot a round the casing will get stuck. And sometimes if i do not fire the round and just want to extract it the case will get stuck. Twice though the bullet was lodged in the rifling and a good pull only extracted the casing. Leaving powder all over. I had to use a cleaning rod to tap the round loose and out.

far from expert, but have you checked head spacing?

No sir

You are describing two issues. If your bullet is hanging up in the rifling then the suspect is a short throated chamber or a chamber designed for lighter bullets. Try some 55 grain loads if the loads giving you trouble are heavier. Can you tell us what weight bullets are hanging in the bore?

The second one may or may not be connected. If the bullet is getting stuck in the bore then firing one of those same loads could be causing over-pressure making extraction difficult. Again reduce the weight of bullet and test.

If you look at the rim of the case that you had to knock out of the chamber there will be/should be a spot where the extractor damaged the rim. Make sure you do not have some crud under the extractor in the detent ball and spring. Keeping that clean is a good habit. It should move freely. If you decide to take it apart either keep your thumb over the area or take it apart in a bag so you don't loose parts.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I'd like to suggest you call Savage Customer Service and arrange to send the rifle back to Savage. Presuming you are using factory ammo, there should be no way possible that a correctly chambered barrel is so short throated that you are pulling bullets upon extraction of an unshot off the shelf round. Please stop shooting it and return for inspection.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.