Thread: model 70

model 70

i just aquired a 1949 model 70 in 270 cal. it is very heavy about 10 pounds, it has a tredded hole several inches behind the front sling attachment, does anyone kno what this hole is for, thank you

Basic Member
    As I recall, there was a screw to allow for applying tension on the barrel on some models.
    My father had a 220 swift, early 50s vintage, and I seem to remember that having one.

The standard weight rifles had a ring machined onto the barrel at that point and as yobuck says a screw held the barrel tight in the stock with a screw installed in that ring from the bottom with the rear sight installed on the top of the ring. Featherweights did not have the ring or the screw through the stock into the ring, but their rear sight was on the top of the barrel at the same location. The featherweight barrel was also thinner through its entire length.

I've got the same rifle, same caliber... Dad bought it in 1949, the year I was born, in San Antonio. It, too, has that second hole in the stock. No bolt or anything there, and I've never removed the stock, mainly because it's such a good shooter--

...just signed up with imgbb, so here's a pic... (I hope)

https://ibb.co/wCNJvYv