Thread: Ashbury Precision Ordnance Chassis Decision

Ashbury Precision Ordnance Chassis Decision

I have been wanting to try a chassis for a Savage build. I have never owned a chassis before. I found the aforementioned chassis for $400.00 at Northland Shooters Supply and ordered it along with a Shilen Select Match in 260 Rem (26" varmint contour) with a VLD chamber and a threaded barrel. Also, I ordered one of their recoil lugs and a barrel nut. I already had an action that I took off of a new Hog Hunter .308 and a Ken Farrel 20 moa base. I ordered a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 moa scope, which should be delivered any day. Turns out, I did a VERY POOR job on researching this project. VERY POOR!!! After getting the chassis, I realized that the scope is going to have to be mounted in some VERY tall rings for the front scope bell to clear the handguard. That was my first mess up as I like my scopes mounted as low as possible! Then I noticed that the stock would be way too long for me because of the buttstock folding adapter (adds about 2" to LOP) that came with the chassis. I planned on using a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock which would make the LOP way too long for me. I could use a Luth AR MBA3, but I do not have any experience with them. Now my plan is starting to fall apart and my OCD is eating my lunch. I can use the barrel and scope on another project, but what do I do with the chassis? I was thinking about maybe putting the Hog Hunter barreled action in the chassis and making a compact .308 with maybe a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 (30mm tube) scope on it. That would make clearing the handguard a breeze and I could use the Magpul CRS stock with cheek rest that came with the chassis. The short barrel and folding stock would make it easy store in various places. I would like to hear some suggestions. What would you do? Thanks, Scott

Basic Member
    Sell it and get something else....that thing looks huge! I have one of the new Oryx chassis on order and can't wait to see how it works...

I put the Hog Hunter barreled action into the APO chassis, screwed the Ken Farrell moa base on, took a Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 in low TPS rings off of another Savage 10 and put it on the Hog Hunter in the APO. Scope height was perfect in regards to the handguard and the cheek piece on the Magpul CRS buttstock was perfect height. I closed my eyes, shouldered the rifle in a seated position on my shooting bench, opened my eye and it was perfect. It's heavy, but I like it. Now for the Shilen barrel and Vortex scope, I plan on finding another action and maybe try one of those Oryx chassis. One of the Trued Savage Target Actions for $775 from Northland Shooters Supply would be great! The Oryx chassis looked very nice! Thanks celltech for the heads up on the Oryx chassis! Scott