Thread: Distance between sling attachment points?

Basic Member

Distance between sling attachment points?

Is there a "rule of thumb" or recommended distance between front and rear sling attachment points? There's a lot of room on the front handguard of the MSR10 LR.
    Thanks,
    Barney

Think it's more of a "put it where it feels best to you" kind of thing, and likely will also vary a bit depending on what sling style you're running. Some guys run the front one way out at the end of the forearm, and I've seen others put it as close as they could to the receiver. Location for the back mount can be all over the place as well - far back on the bottom, either side just aft the receiver, on either side of a collapsible in various places via a QD pocket.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Think it's more of a "put it where it feels best to you" kind of thing, and likely will also vary a bit depending on what sling style you're running. Some guys run the front one way out at the end of the forearm, and I've seen others put it as close as they could to the receiver. Location for the back mount can be all over the place as well - far back on the bottom, either side just aft the receiver, on either side of a collapsible in various places via a QD pocket.
    Thanks J. Baker!

Quote Originally Posted by Barneyhunts View Post
    Is there a "rule of thumb" or recommended distance between front and rear sling attachment points? There's a lot of room on the front handguard of the MSR10 LR.
    Thanks,
    Barney
    I don't think there is a one-sling fits-all formula. It took me a couple of years to decide on two setups for my ARs.
    A "summer" sling which is a single-point bungee cord sling QD attached just behind the charging handle for wear over light summer clothing.
    The second is a two-point "winter" sling (for carrying over heavy winter coats) QD attached near or on the front sight tower and as far back on the AR adjustable buttstock as possible.
    There are several QD attachment options available so search around.
    Of course you don't have to go QD. There's lots of permanent ways to go. Some more elegant than others.
    Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitnine View Post
    I don't think there is a one-sling fits-all formula. It took me a couple of years to decide on two setups for my ARs.
    A "summer" sling which is a single-point bungee cord sling QD attached just behind the charging handle for wear over light summer clothing.
    The second is a two-point "winter" sling (for carrying over heavy winter coats) QD attached near or on the front sight tower and as far back on the AR adjustable buttstock as possible.
    There are several QD attachment options available so search around.
    Of course you don't have to go QD. There's lots of permanent ways to go. Some more elegant than others.
    Thanks.
    Thank you Spitnine. I'm trying different points to see which I like.