Thread: 10/110 barrels vs. Axis barrels

Team Savage

10/110 barrels vs. Axis barrels

I've used both for various builds and can't say I can tell any difference. I don't want to just assume they are the same though. Does anyone know for sure? Are they the same barrels, just stamped differently?

Same barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Same barrels.
    How about the actions ?

Basic Member
    Actions on Axis are different than the 10/110, the barrels are interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    On Axis the actions are the same, to go from short action to long action calibers you change barrel, trigger guard and magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I guess what you are asking is the quality the same? I know the barrels are interchangeable as long as the shank size is the same. But, is the quality the same? I have read on this forum there is no difference in barrels if they are essentially the same specs. I sorta find that hard to believe, but I really don't know. Certainly they are different to some degree such as a 5R barrel on my Savage 10 FCPHS. With Savage, I do know barrels is probably not a big factor in the overall cost of their firearms. The stock is perhaps the biggest cost on many models IMO....which is the reason why a .308 12FV from Cabela's will be much cheaper than what I paid for my 10 FCPHS in a HS Precision stock with bottom metal/detachable magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I guess what you are asking is the quality the same?.
    Yes, quality of the actions ?? If it's the same I can start looking for a left handed Axis rifle for the action

Basic Member
    On the Savage FAQ section they used to list the accuracy standards. IIRC, Axis was 2MOA, sporter barrels were 1.5MOA and target/varmint barrels were 1.0MOA. They also had a chart with the specific ammunition they used to test those standards. The only one I remember is the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn for the .308

My Axis is much better than that, after firing many rounds through it. With good ammo it started out as around 1MOA. Now it is in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA range. My BVSS is just at 1MOA.

Basic Member
    My only Axis rifle must have had a rough barrel. It is a .223 and shot awful groups initially and very low. I had to use Burris rings to correct it and should have just sent it back. Over a hundred rounds it got better and I have now shot some pretty darn groups with it. My Savage 10 .308 with 5R barrel was good to go at shot #1. I know there are a lot of variables though.

Pretty sure some of the finishes are different. I had a matte finished sporter and the finish started flaking off. The finish was kinda rough textured matte black and almost looked like a powder coat paint or something. Never had a barrel off a 110 start doing that.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have shot many Axis barrels on many 10/110 actions and NEVER found any difference in quality or accuracy. I don't believe they put any effort into building one barrel that's better or worse than another. The difference in their standards for shootability/accuracy is in the total rifle, not the barrels. Axis barrels are stamped "Axis", 10's are stamped "Model 10". OTher than that, they are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    On the Savage FAQ section they used to list the accuracy standards. IIRC, Axis was 2MOA, sporter barrels were 1.5MOA and target/varmint barrels were 1.0MOA.
    No offense, but that right there is a bunch of hogwash.

When Savage is cutting the raw bar stock down to lengths, deep hole drilling it, and pulling a rifling button through it they have no clue what model of rifle it's going to go on. It then goes from being that raw blank in a given caliber/twist to have all the outside work done (contour, crown, threading, etc.). At this point what model it will go on will be narrowed down a bit - a sporter contour won't be going on a 110 Varmint for example, but still no definitive idea what model it will go on. From there the bore gets straightened, then it's sent over to have the chamber cut. Still no clue what model rifle it will be going on.

Next it's mated up to an action and headspaced which will further narrow down what model it will be (action type and barrel contour), but there's still enough variables that you can't definitively say with a few exceptions. After that the barreled action gets proof tested, and from there goes over to the finishing area where it will go through a tumbling process and then get blued unless it's stainless.

At this point it's ready for final assembly where it's actual model designation will be determined by what stock, magazine type, etc are used to finish it out. After final assembly it goes back into the proof room to be function tested (full mag fired through rifle to ensure proper feeding, extraction and ejection). From there it goes to the final stage of production where it gets it's serial number and roll stamp indicating the model.

In other words, there's no difference as Savage makes them all the same from the same materials on the same machines with the same tooling and to the same specifications.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Jim, thanks for the detailed post. Where would it be separated from a traditional model (10, 11, 12, etc..) and an Axis, and would that effect the QC process any?

They're not separated, that's the whole point. You guys are trying to manufacture some kind of quality difference between Axis v. 110 barrels that simply does not exist.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    They're not separated, that's the whole point. You guys are trying to manufacture some kind of quality difference between Axis v. 110 barrels that simply does not exist.
    I’m not trying to manufacture anything, just trying to understand the process. I would think that once the barrel is mated to an Axis receiver that it would then be in a different product line up.

Team Savage

When Savage is cutting the raw bar stock down to lengths, deep hole drilling it, and pulling a rifling button through it they have no clue what model of rifle it's going to go on. It then goes from being that raw blank in a given caliber/twist to have all the outside work done (contour, crown, threading, etc.). At this point what model it will go on will be narrowed down a bit - a sporter contour won't be going on a 110 Varmint for example, but still no definitive idea what model it will go on. From there the bore gets straightened, then it's sent over to have the chamber cut. Still no clue what model rifle it will be going on.

Next it's mated up to an action and headspaced which will further narrow down what model it will be (action type and barrel contour), but there's still enough variables that you can't definitively say with a few exceptions. After that the barreled action gets proof tested, and from there goes over to the finishing area where it will go through a tumbling process and then get blued unless it's stainless.

At this point it's ready for final assembly where it's actual model designation will be determined by what stock, magazine type, etc are used to finish it out. After final assembly it goes back into the proof room to be function tested (full mag fired through rifle to ensure proper feeding, extraction and ejection). From there it goes to the final stage of production where it gets it's serial number and roll stamp indicating the model.

In other words, there's no difference as Savage makes them all the same from the same materials on the same machines with the same tooling and to the same specifications.
    Thanks Jim for the excellent information. I kinda figured that was the case, but wanted to ask. I mated an Axis barrel with a Model 10 action recently, and my results have been every bit as good as I had hoped. I figured they were the same barrels.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
    I’m not trying to manufacture anything, just trying to understand the process. I would think that once the barrel is mated to an Axis receiver that it would then be in a different product line up.
    I think he covered that in his explanation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I think he covered that in his explanation.
    Well kind of. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything. After working in manufacturing for over 20 years, I'm simply trying to understand the Savage process. When I worked in food manufacturing, I know that all things started out the same, but once they got separated from McDonald's to Western Family, the QC process changed. Same thing with Aluminum. Once it went from aerospace to bicycles the QC process changed. I was simply wondering if Savage had a separate process for the Axis vs the more traditional models.

Basic Member

I read it off their website. I understand all their barrels are made the same.

For example:
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en...Specifications

..._.

Basic Member
    I did an Axis SS sporter 22-250 install on a LH SS SA flat back recently and it is shooting 3 into .230” @100 thus far.

I got no complaints!

Three44s

Basic Member
    The beauty of the barrel nut and floating bolt head. Both features introduced simplicity into the manufacturing process,and enabling the user to fairly easily change barrels and bolt faces,giving the user a plethora of cartridge options.
    I don’t know how savage culls the “soooo close” parts but their must be a scale they grade everything on. My guess is the axis barrels are one step up from recycling. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. They are an inexpensive entry level hunting rifle that’ll put meat in the freezer every time.
    I’m curious to know now that the topic has presented itself too,how savage barrels are tested and what exactly are the standards are for each rifle line up,if there is one.

Team Savage
    I found all the answer I need from the Axis 7mm-08 barrel on my model 10 action.

Consistently 1/2" 3-shot groups from a cold barrel. Not a thing wrong with that!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I found all the answer I need from the Axis 7mm-08 barrel on my model 10 action.

Consistently 1/2" 3-shot groups from a cold barrel. Not a thing wrong with that!
    for a hunting rifle that’s excellent.
    We are in the golden age when it comes to bolt action rifles. Computer aided design has allowed for really interesting stock/action bedding platforms.
    Like the V-groove Thompson Center is using on the dimension up front. It acts as a recoil lug too. And isn’t ruger using some kind of V block type system in their entry level American line up. The axis uses a recoil lug,don’t they? Recoil lug is a better system however those other rifles print MOA no problem. For a few hundred bucks.
    Great time to get Into the sport. Wont cost a small fortune.