Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member from Kentucky

Basic Member

New Member from Kentucky

Hi guys and gals. I just joined the other day. I have recently purchased a 110 Tactical LH .308, and have yet to glass it and get it going. But I thought I'd check out this site and see what's going on the world of Savage rifles. I have a Savage .22 bolt gun, but that's the only Savage I have ever owned. I will be mostly a bench shooter with this rifle. I was looking at a Weatherby Back Country to start building a new rifle, but a buddy who is an avid shooter convinced me the Savage would be the way to go. Yeah me, saved 450.00 there.... Anyway, looking forward to outfitting this rifle and getting to the range.

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome to the site lot of great information here. Where abouts from ky are you I'm in the Louisville area

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'm in Louisville as well...Fern Creek area

Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post
    I'm in Louisville as well...Fern Creek area
    I'm on the east end springhurst area. I've put together a 308 recently also, on a 12fv action.

Basic Member
    Looks good. I was in Lawrenceburg, close to the 4 Roses distillery, and shot on farms. Been in Louisville for about 4 years now. Lools like the only HP rifle range around here is Knob Creek, and I think it is 400yds at most. Have you been out there?

I try as hard as I can to not pay to shoot i have a family farm in lagrange and can shoot out to about 400yds there. Funny enough my parents also own 50 acres on lake Harrington and we drive through lawrenceburg all the time. At the lake house I will be setting up 500 or 600yd range. There is a range in bordin Indiana that has monthly 500yd competitions. Its southern Indianan rifle pistol club. There is another range in bowling green that goes out to 1600yds call rock castle.

Basic Member
    Great, good to know. I found a range in Tn. That goes to 1400, but you have to be a member and theres a waitin list (and a 3 h. drive.... I'll look into Rock Castle

Rock castles public range goes to 700 or 1000 then you have to become a member for the 1600

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the site Sled, I am also interested in coyote hunting as well, while they seem to be all around me they must be hunted pretty hard, they don't make many mistakes. I am looking forward to see how your new 110 tactical shoots when you find a place to test it out. I have the Choate stock on a Rem 700 in the .223 it is a great stock, a little heavy to lug around but I was real happy with the improvement from the factory wood. Are you reloading for it?

Glad to have you as part of the Savageshooters family...Bob
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    Thanks. I do not reload, because I mostly shoot my AR's and handguns, and I can buy bulk ammo cheap enough I never bought the equipment or gained the knowledge to not blow myself up. The 30-30 is my deer rifle, and I just buy Remington ammo for it, and it likes it. The .308 may change all that if I find the right spot to shoot a lot. I'm deciding on a scope right now, so it may be awhile. I'm leaning towards a Nikon FX1000 6x24x50 for the range. (I have hunting scopes I can switch out if I wanted to take it to the stand.) Once I get the right scope and a Harris Bipod on it, it'll be ready to test out.

Basic Member
    Sled, I reloaded for things I just wanted to shoot better. I used to shoot IDPA a lot, so reloaded the 9mm for that with a Dillion press, it was cheaper back then verses buying. The cost of components seemed to have gone up more than the ammo lately. I do buy for the AR but still do .223 for the Rem 700 for woodchucks. I keep getting different guns so I can shoot further, each one means time reloading and testing. While I can shoot further today than I could years ago, the fields around here have not gotten any longer. I have a camp in VT and when the lake freezes over I have a place I can shoot out to a 1000 yards. My the gun ranges around here all seem to be around the 400 mark for the furthest distance. I have only one Nikon Scope, it is fixed power but, it is the best I own.

Basic Member
    I here you about the distance. I would love a place to shoot 1000 yds., but those places are few and far between around here.... I think we should start a new shooting discipline, where you go to the range for competition, but have to shoot uphill, downhill and in between trees.....

Basic Member
    I here you about the distance. I would love a place to shoot 1000 yds., but those places are few and far between around here.... I think we should start a new shooting discipline, where you go to the range for competition, but have to shoot uphill, downhill and in between trees.....

That is an excellent point about holding a competition in a more realistic environment. I shoot once in while in a group called T.a.g. stands for tactical arts group I have shot off and on with them for the last 30 years, they are based out of Manchester NH. My brother
    Tom runs the group so I can pretty much come and go when I like. There they shoot behind cover, on the move. They use all sorts of drop down and reactive targets. They do all sorts of drills before hand to get your heart rate up, they have shoot and no shoot targets and also do house clearing drills as well.

While most long range shooting is done from a rested state, wouldn't it be cool to do a bunch of stages that required shoot and no shoot targets, moving targets and all sorts of natural obstacles to shoot around, like hills and cars and buildings. I would travel to shoot in that kind of event. A 500 yard course would work with smaller targets if you worked at making it exciting

Of your intrested in this type of shooting nrl22 has a few places within driving distance of Louisville. They shoot from baracdes and has a max distance of 200yds is I remember correctly. Plus its 22lr only so it's cheap to do.

Basic Member
    Oh, trust me, I have no desire to shoot from moving positions and all that. I did that crap my whole career on Lexington PD. I'm not even real thrilled with lying on the ground prone... more of a benchrest guy. I was just joking about having a competition more like sitting in a Kentucky deer stand.... you know, uphill, downhill, through the trees, over the old tractor, legs asleep... that kind of stuff.....

Basic Member
    My brother is a LEO instructor, and also does the quals for private investigators and security companies. He teaches a bunch of live action real life style classes. Years ago I remember him training guys that had signed on with Black Water and needed some class three practice. His idea of good scenario starts out with him zapping you with a stun gun, he is a firm believer that every should be out breath, disorientated and stressed out. The sim classes teach you more about cover than anything I have ever done. It shows when he runs things, once you get used to it, the days of cold ranges and standing and just shooting don't even make sense anymore.

So what your saying is you'd be cool with a nice hide, and the targets doing all the moving...I get it. It does seem as though we could have some more realistic types of matches.

Basic Member
    Zapping you with a stun gun sounds about right. Our instructors idea was to run us to death up and down the hill until you were completely out of breath, then shoot. All that stuff is great practice, but with my bad back, it's just not for me anymore.... Yep, put me in the recliner with a bipod and I'm happy.....lol

Basic Member
    Hello from central Kentucky Harrodsburg this road leads to a great time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Zapping you with a stun gun sounds about right. Our instructors idea was to run us to death up and down the hill until you were completely out of breath, then shoot. All that stuff is great practice, but with my bad back, it's just not for me anymore.... Yep, put me in the recliner with a bipod and I'm happy.....lol
    It is a long winded story and one probably most are not going to read on this site...but about 12 years ago our home was broken into while we were home. We had a small dog that I determined, was my wife's job to let out at 3 am, not mine. The dog was growling, I figured nature called, and I really didn't care for that small dog. She headed down the stairs.

My wife went down stairs to let him out only to see someone peek around the corner of the kitchen. She hollered out, "There is someone in the house!" I heard there is a, "Fire in the house!" I ran down stairs with a fire extinguisher, not a gun. After tumbling down the stairs and getting up she repeated, "There is someone in the house!"

This is where I would love to tell you I did everything right, instead I did everything wrong.

I had been training as a kickboxer for the last 2 1/2 years at that time, about 20 hours a week. The only training that kicked in was my fighting with my hands and feet. I walked by two loaded guns in the process, only to somehow think I was going to solve the problem with my body, not a weapon.

My training kicked in...not the one I needed and I wish I had more training at the time under stress with my firearms. I have no excuses I have spent hundreds of hours on the range dealing with what I thought was real life problems, doing all the drills from retention to disarms.

My training kicked...just not the right one for the moment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimhoag View Post
    Hello from central Kentucky Harrodsburg this road leads to a great time

Looks familiar...lol. Spent a lot of time in Harrodsburg, I have a buddy with a farm in Cornishville that I took my last deer on a few years back...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    It is a long winded story and one probably most are not going to read on this site...but about 12 years ago our home was broken into while we were home. We had a small dog that I determined, was my wife's job to let out at 3 am, not mine. The dog was growling, I figured nature called, and I really didn't care for that small dog. She headed down the stairs.

My wife went down stairs to let him out only to see someone peek around the corner of the kitchen. She hollered out, "There is someone in the house!" I heard there is a, "Fire in the house!" I ran down stairs with a fire extinguisher, not a gun. After tumbling down the stairs and getting up she repeated, "There is someone in the house!"

This is where I would love to tell you I did everything right, instead I did everything wrong.

I had been training as a kickboxer for the last 2 1/2 years at that time, about 20 hours a week. The only training that kicked in was my fighting with my hands and feet. I walked by two loaded guns in the process, only to somehow think I was going to solve the problem with my body, not a weapon.

My training kicked in...not the one I needed and I wish I had more training at the time under stress with my firearms. I have no excuses I have spent hundreds of hours on the range dealing with what I thought was real life problems, doing all the drills from retention to disarms.

My training kicked...just not the right one for the moment.
    It happens.... under stress the body relies on muscle memory and what you know best. Early in my career, I made a DUI stop one night about 2am, and got the guy out to give him tests (he was really wasted) and he pulled a .22 cal pistol on me. For reasons unknown to me, instead of shooting him, I just went to work with the flashlight, which was not the right thing either, but it worked, he lived, I lived, he went to prison and I went home.

Basic Member
    I've spent to much time in Cornishville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast