Thread: Re-Barrel question

Re-Barrel question

Hello Everyone.

I would like your thoughts on a project that I am thinking about. I have an old Savage 110 Model J chambered in 250-3000 savage. The poor old thing is just tired. The action and stock are in good shape, but the barrel has seen better days. What I'm thinking about is re-barreling it to either .22-250 or 243 Winchester. Unless I've missed something, this would be very straight forward. Change the barrel, set the head space, reassemble and shoot. A factory profile barrel should fit the original stock but could take a little work. The original bolt face is the same size, the cartridge (either of them) should fit well in the magazine and feed well. Please let me know what I'm missing. This seems too easy to be true.

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Basic Member
    You should be good to go with your plan.

The .22-250 and .250 Savage use a slightly different magazine box/follower that is specific to them due to their having more taper in the body. The .243, 7mm-08, .308 have their own magazine box/follower as well. Given how difficult it is to find staggered feed magazine boxes these days I would recommend going with the .22-250 just to save yourself any headaches.

The other option would be to put a Score-Hi single-shot adapter in it if you really want the .243 and can live with it not being a repeater.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    With a good barrel vise, barrel nut wrench and some patience, it is just that easy. My last two barrel swaps took me less than 30 min. start to finish. And that's only because I was using the smooth barrel nut and had to re-tighten the clamp a few times.

Basic Member
    When you select which cartridge you are going to go with. try one of the cartridges in the rifle as it is. You should be able to tell if it will feed out of the magazine. That way you will have more confidence in your build before you go ahead. I have a theory that your gping to it will workout. Good luck, you really can't miss with either cartridge. Both are very good

Basic Member
    .243 Win is a Barrel Burner. 6,5 cm oder 7mm08 are quite interesting ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the answers. I thought about putting one of the cartridges in question in the magazine to see of it would feed, so thanks for the confirmation on that. For my purposes (shooting deer and hunting other lesser critters on my ranch) the 243 is perhaps a better choice, but I do have plenty of other rifles to do that work. I'm trying to keep this old Savage alive for my son, and for that purpose, either cartridge would do. .22-250 is actually my preference here, so I'll probably head off in that direction. I have a barrel vise and barrel nut tool and I'm comfortable with head spacing Savage rifles. Hoping this goes well.

Thanks Again!