Thread: Tourbon Cheek Riser Adjustable Cheek Rest... or similar?

Basic Member

Tourbon Cheek Riser Adjustable Cheek Rest... or similar?

I found this on Amazon. It's Chinese-made, cheap, but has decent ratings from users.

"US Warehouse"... Also... first time I've seen a solid wooden trigger guard.

I'm wondering if there's something comparable out there that's made closer to home, maybe in FDE or some sort of tan color. I like the following features of this one:
    • adjustable height
    • ammo carrier
    • admin pocket

Basic Member
    Wow, "USA Warehouse"...? That whole thing looks sketchy.

I have high cheekbones and have yet to find a cheek riser that I like. So, far the closest thing I've found are the adjustable ones such as what Boyd's offers for some of their stocks. The only bad thing is that they can snag on brush and clothes. I haven't tried the Savage Accufit either, but I don't really like how you have to thread the screws in and out of plastic every time you want to change the height. There has got to be a decent solution out there. Perhaps simply going back to foam pipe insulation and grip tape

Basic Member
    I've since found a couple other vendors. The ones that claim US fabrication don't have any in stock. I Googled "stock pack" to find these. They don't have a good built-in cheek riser solution because they recommend building up layers of velcro strips. I think I'd use foam pipe insulation or something similar before that... but I think a few of these could work with a homemade pad underneath for a riser.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html - no tan. Coyote is close. Fixed ammo loops.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRAX43Y/ - they have tan, and the loops are modular with hook & loop. The inside construction looks pretty low-grade.
    https://tacticalsharpshooter.com/col...ter-stock-pack - I like these ones, but they're pretty much all sold out.

EDIT: late entry - http://www.snipercentral.com/product/tacops-cheekpad/ - I'll order one of these if I can confirm they're in stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    https://tacticalsharpshooter.com/col...ter-stock-pack - I like these ones, but they're pretty much all sold out.
    I emailed these guys last night and got this response:
    Hi XXXXX,

I was able to find 2 Tan Hunter packs w/ammo loops. They have been added to the store's inventory and now available to purchase. Here's a Link.

There's a few of the other colors and styles available as well. We got wiped out on inventory over the holidays and I haven't had a chance to balance the leftover items yet.

Let me know if you need anything else!
    Can't beat that! I ordered one of those. Now to find some EVA foam cheek pads.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

I make my own for my rifles using a piece of closed cell foam sleeping mat and a 3M product for bandaging animals called Vetrap. It sticks to itself but nothing else making it ideal for this, comes in several colors, and costs about $1.00 a roll at any farm supply store. I like the thumbhole style stocks from Boyd's and with the monte carlo comb a lot of commercial pads either don't fit right or look funny.

Rusty Shackelford

I haven't had much luck with stock packs. They always seem to slip around between shots and don't give me a consistent result. I have made a couple of the adjustable Karsten style with some sheet Kydex I bought online and some bolts and knobs from the hardware store. Only got a couple of bucks a piece in making them myself and Kydex is really easy to work with. plenty of tutorials online.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I hope I have good luck with my pack. It arrives tomorrow.

I'm probably going to order this set, if only for the foam pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I haven't had much luck with stock packs. They always seem to slip around between shots and don't give me a consistent result. I have made a couple of the adjustable Karsten style with some sheet Kydex I bought online and some bolts and knobs from the hardware store. Only got a couple of bucks a piece in making them myself and Kydex is really easy to work with. plenty of tutorials online.
    I'll second the Karsten-style cheek rests, and have done a few for friends as well. While at first I liked the idea of adjustability, I think I've only actually adjusted one ever. They are stiff though, and you can get an excellent, repeatable cheek weld with them.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member

I like the idea of a stock pack just for the benefit of compact storage for extra ammo, a bore snake, and maybe some small tools. I have one on the way today, and will post photos assuming it arrives.

I think the kydex idea is a way to go. I went to the Karsten website, and WHOA, $60 for a sheet of kydex and some hardware. Yikes. I’ll build one (or seven) before I spend that much. I think I’ll screw one on with flush hardware under the stock pack, if it’ll fit. And I’ll epoxy some Velcro to the top of it so the pack doesn’t slide around.

I’ll carry on all of that discussion in my build thread.

Basic Member

OK, to close this out... I ended up going with the Sniper Stock Pack. How I finally got the one I wanted is a long story, with a lot of help from Bill at TacticalSharpshooter.com and no help from the USPS.

I started by ordering the Hunter Stock Pack. I figured that since the FCP-SR has a fairly small stock, that would be the right size for the rifle. I got a notification Friday that it had arrived in my mailbox. I went to check, and... nothing. No package. I emailed customer service and let them know I was starting a lost package case with USPS, and Bill let me know he’d handle it. He immediately got another one in the mail and sent me a shipping notice with a new tracking number. Saturday, I happened to catch the mail carrier... and she could not have been less helpful in finding my lost stock pack.

On Monday, I had TWO stock packs in my mailbox; the original, and the replacement Bill had sent. The original had the correct mailing label with another sticker on top with the same address and a note, “Please notify shipper of new address.” I vote we make the civil service exam just a little harder.

Anyway, I got my stock pack out and tried it. It fit fine, but I was hoping for more storage. I let Bill know, and he told me the Sniper pack is what I was looking for. He got a new one out to me, and I sent back the other two.

I really like the pack I ended up with. It's multicam with a real suede cheekpiece. TacticalSharpshooter currently offers a variety of colors and few different materials for the cheekpiece.

My plan was to fab up a Kydex cheek riser, screw it to the stock, and then put the stock pack over it. However, the stock pack comes with several velcro strips that serve to raise the cheekpiece up. I don't have a lot of cheek, so I ended up using all six. The photos show the stock pack with all six pieces of velcro. That puts my eye about where I think it'll need to be; I have rings, but I'm still waiting on a scope. I think I'll be able to get away without using the Kydex or drilling holes into my stock.

Another reason for the Kydex was that I thought I'd need to epoxy some velcro strips to it to prevent the stock pack from “rolling,” or shifting around the stock. Once it's fastened on, though, it's pretty resistant to rolling. Even more so with the velcro cheek risers installed underneath.

Inside the stock pack I have a bore snake, 5 rounds of ammo in the sewn-in loops, and a couple of hex wrenches. There's extra room in there for a small handful of other stuff. I'm sure I'll find a way to fill it.

I can't speak to the other products I was looking into, since I didn't end up buying them, but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Glad you got something to raise the comb.
    Now go shoot it, see what you've got and let us know how you like it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Their hunter pack looks identical to the one I got from Tactical Works. I used a couple layers of corrugated cardboard under the pack to raise the comb height and get a feel for how much height I needed. Still need to get my butt over to Hobby Lobby one of these days to get some 1/8" thick foam sheets to replace the cardboard.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Still need to get my butt over to Hobby Lobby one of these days to get some 1/8" thick foam sheets to replace the cardboard.
    The stacked velcro strips don't provide a whole lot of cushion. I found these purpose-built Eva foam pieces awhile ago and might try them one day.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    The stacked velcro strips don't provide a whole lot of cushion. I found these purpose-built Eva foam pieces awhile ago and might try them one day.
    You don't want cushion anyway. Any give is going to affect the consistency of your cheek weld.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain