Thread: What height base do I have?

Basic Member

What height base do I have?

So I bought a model 10 fcp, which I believe to be the LE variant since it has the heavy barrel, digital camo stock, but does not have the threaded barrel like all the other fcp models I see.

It also does not have the one piece scope mount. I had a vortex diamondback 4-16x42 on it with some Nikon rings that I had around. I dont know what height they were since the package was gone.

But I bought a new scope, a vortex viper 6-24x50 and I'm in need of new rings since the old glass was a 1" tube and the new one is 30mm.

But I am not sure if I have the 20moa base on the gun or the 0moa. Did savage make these with the two pieces bases in 20moa even? Just based off of looks, I'd say I do not have the 20moa bases.

I keep seeing conflicting information online since most guys I see have the one piece mount and it seems they are 20moa which obviously changes the height of rings I'd need.

I see some say low rings is what they use, and other say medium or even high.

I've tried the scope ring calculator I've found in the optics section but it keeps saying fail no matter what info I put in.

Those are most likely the cheap factory Weaver-style 0 MOA bases that Savage used to use on most everything. Either way, a 20 MOA base typically won't make a difference in what height rings you need.

Ring heights vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you really need to go to their websites and get their figures then do the math. One brands Low might be almost the same height as another brand's medium, and the heights can even vary from style to style within a single brand.

Generally speaking though, if you have a 1-pc rail like an EGW you can typically use low rings as the rail is a little taller than the 2-pc mounts like you have. For the 2-pc mounts you may or may not be able to get by with low's from certain brands, but I generally recommend mediums to be safe. Can't recall ever needing to use high rings on a Savage 110 for a 40-50mm objective scope.

The big "gotcha" with the 1-pc rail and low rings is the length of the scope, especially if it's a rail that extends out over the recoil lug and barrel nut.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Low, medium, high ??????

Make sure it is comfortable when looking through the scope ON THIS RIFLE, otherwise you are going to amass a collection of rings of various heights.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The big "gotcha" with the 1-pc rail and low rings is the length of the scope, especially if it's a rail that extends out over the recoil lug and barrel nut.
    The rail extending past the action has been a problem for me more than once. On my Savages I have never needed to put the front ring much forward of the front edge of the action. I will often chop off some of the front of the base and/or cut a bevel on it, so it won't hit the objective bell of the scope. Of those I did this to, I haven't ever needed that extended bit in decades of swapping scopes around.