Thread: 99H?

Basic Member

99H?

So I recently took the metal part off the rear of the forend of my breakdown 99, 244xxx sn, 1921 supposedly, and stamped under the S/N on that metal piece is an H, definitely an H. I also noticed after the S/N that's stamped in the wood by the latch at the other end of the latch hook is another H. Does this mean it's an H model? Is there any site or book that describes all the different models of the 99? I certainly haven't found one. It gets very confusing. One would think that different models would have distinctive features, but maybe not? I just don't seem to be able to find the info other than through hearsay and the bit I've gleaned here, but I find even some of that suspect.

Couple good Savage 99 books out there. The first is The Ninty-Nine by Douglas P. Murray (1985), and the second is A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle by David Royal (2016). Should be able to find both on Amazon.

As for the "H" stamp, I would be more inclined to believe that is an assembler or inspectors stamp.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I thought we figured out it was a 99G but as I reread that thread you never did give me a definite answer on if it had a pistol grip stock or a straight stock, which is it?

If it's a checkered pistol grip stock then it's a G.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Yes, checkered pistol grip stock. Must be a G. The H have a short barrel, no? My H must be a tooling mark of some sort. I finally found your descriptions of the models in the 'Savage FAQ's'. Thanks. I was wondering where it was.

I should have the Hornady SST 150gr factory ammo today, so it's going to snow and ice tomorrow. March is only 2 weeks away. Scope is mounted and sighted. Good with 180 Rem and 110 TNT's We'll see what the 150's do. I did get a Bushnell with the supposed 6" eye relief, but it's really not 6" with 9 power, maybe with 4. But it sits back about an inch more and may be acceptable, but it's not as good a scope as the Nikon. About as bright, but fairly heavy distortion at the edges.

Basic Member
    David Royal's book lists your 99 as 1923 manufacture and the "H" identifies the 20 inch barrel (though there were a lot of variations made to the H model). His book has most of a chapter dealing with all the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
    David Royal's book lists your 99 as 1923 manufacture and the "H" identifies the 20 inch barrel (though there were a lot of variations made to the H model). His book has most of a chapter dealing with all the changes.
    Can't be an H with a pistol grip stock.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Or checkering.

Basic Member
    Unless someone swapped out the butt stock. My 1927 99 has the serial number stamped on the inside of the butt plate and had it on the inside of the forearm. Royal's book dates the serial number as either 1922 (237501-244500) or 1923 (244501-256000) and also shows a 99H manufactured in 1923 that had a 20" round barrel. There's also a photo of an 99G (1923-1932) in 250-3000 with a pistol grip butt stock and checkering. I'd say to get/borrow a copy of his book. He may not be perfect but his pictures are of existing rifles.

Of course, all of the above information may not mean anything as it came from Royal's book. According to a moderator, any information from his book is worthless so please just take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Travis98146; 03-08-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
    Unless someone swapped out the butt stock. My 1927 99 has the serial number stamped on the inside of the butt plate and had it on the inside of the forearm. Royal's book dates the serial number as either 1922 (237501-244500) or 1923 (244501-256000) and also shows a 99H manufactured in 1923 that had a 20" round barrel. There's also a photo of an 99G (1923-1932) in 250-3000 with a pistol grip butt stock and checkering. I'd say to get/borrow a copy of his book. He may not be perfect but his pictures are of existing rifles.

Of course, all of the above information may not mean anything as it came from Royal's book. According to a moderator, any information from his book is worthless so please just take it with a grain of salt.
    Rather than getting all defensive when someone questions something you posted, maybe you'd be better off to take note of what they're saying and learn from them. Joe (Mag Dog) is very well respected among 99 collectors and is considered by many to be one of the most knowledgeable people in the 99 community. So when he's nice enough to take the time to share what he knows with you, maybe try being thankful rather than argumentative and combative.

Basic Member
    Baker, I don't know how many books Mad Dog has published about the Savage 99 rifles and I don't know him personally so I have nothing against his knowledge. You're welcome to look down through a lot of the quotes I made from Royal's book and see the disparaging remarks from Mad Dog about me and Royal's book. Since I was hunting with a 99 before Mad Dog was born, I won't get into a p...ing match over what he knows or what has been published.

You know what, your right.

It couldn't have been Davids book that was that incorrect. It has got to be you not understanding it. I know David Royal and there is no way he got that many things wrong in his book. Especially since I know some of the other guys that helped out with the information in that book.

As for me publishing, no, I haven't, but if you look at the acknowledgments in a couple books you'll see my name there.