Thread: The trouble with buying donor guns

Basic Member

The trouble with buying donor guns

My neighbor and I were just talking about this. He is looking for a model 99 that he can turn into a wildcat (I forget which caliber at the moment). I'm looking for something to turn into a 6.5 Grendel (Model 10, 11 or 12). The problem that we both have, is that after getting the donor rifle, it shoots too well to take apart and change.

Anybody have a model 99 in .300 Savage or a model 12 in .223 that can't hit the broad side of a barn? Our safes are filling up with rifles that we didn't want but are too nice to cannibalize. All joking aside, the search is half the fun.

Found myself in the same boat on more than one occasion.
    Especially when buying old used flatbacks for cheap and they just shoot way too well to tinker beyond maybe a trigger job.
    If it aint broke ........
    On the other hand a little spray paint on the stock and tuning a load for such rifles, and grabbing a bench next to custom rifle snobs and tactifools and then putting 8 to 10 rounds into one ragged hole can be great sport in itself.
    Especially when they see your groups and ask "what you're shooting?" and you tell 'em "Aww just an old beater pawn shop Savage that I spray painted" while listening to excuses as they pack up and leave.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Was just in that boat (kinda) with the Model 110 Tactical LH I reviewed in .308. Bought it with the intentions of flipping it, but couldn't even get a nibble since it was in .308 and not 6.5 CM. Much as I hated to part out a gun that shot 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with several different types of factory ammo that's what I ended up doing. One friend bought the barrel to swap onto his Model 11 Scout and another friend bought the rest to likely build into a .450 Bushmaster or a .17 Remington.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Easy way to cure that issue. Do not shoot the rifle you intend to build from. If I buy one for the action, I always tear them apart as soon as they come in the house. Who cares how they shoot when you bought them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Easy way to cure that issue. Do not shoot the rifle you intend to build from. If I buy one for the action, I always tear them apart as soon as they come in the house. Who cares how they shoot when you bought them.
    That's like telling a kid he can't play with his toys

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
    My neighbor and I were just talking about this. He is looking for a model 99 that he can turn into a wildcat (I forget which caliber at the moment). I'm looking for something to turn into a 6.5 Grendel (Model 10, 11 or 12). The problem that we both have, is that after getting the donor rifle, it shoots too well to take apart and change.

Anybody have a model 99 in .300 Savage or a model 12 in .223 that can't hit the broad side of a barn? Our safes are filling up with rifles that we didn't want but are too nice to cannibalize. All joking aside, the search is half the fun.

I had a model 12 in .223 that I just sold on the forum here. But you would have the same issue as that thing was a tack driver. My reloads were 3/8-1/2” at 100 yds on a regular basis. One of the most accurate savages I’ve owned. Unfortunately just don’t use it now that I own several AR rifles and graduated to much larger calibers to go further in the bolt guns.

My problem is I buy a rifle for an intended purpose. It’s built to serve that purpose. (Lightweight Hunting etc) Then you make one season on the gun and say “I’ll just put this piece on it as it’s just laying around anyways” Several grand later and I’m starring at the rifle going WTF have I done....6 months later buy a new lightweight hunting rifle and follow the same path again. It’s a serious undiagnosed disease.....

That’s why I never shot a donor gun buy and break down
    no shooting
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    That sir, takes impressive discipline.

Basic Member
    Not sure it requires discipline or just a plan you stick with.
    I mean we could also plan a 2 week trip from say NJ to Yellowstone, then allow ourselves to get bogged down with the sites and sounds of Cleveland and never make Yellowstone.

Basic Member
    going back and forth between the 2 barrels is just a 10min swap away...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    going back and forth between the 2 barrels is just a 10min swap away...
    Not always, but it is a valid point.

Basic Member
    Just picked up a Mod 11 in a sporter contor. Upgraded to a match heavy barrel.