Thread: Foolish old guy on a boring winter day.

Basic Member

Foolish old guy on a boring winter day.

On whim I bought a cheap Axis in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Now I need another rifle like a need a hole in the head, but am looking for something to tinker with on these winter days.

As a boy my first real rifle was a Savage in the 222 Rem. It was a gift from my grandfather at age 12. He was an accomplished long range shooter and NRA instructor. He taught me how to reload and shoot. I was able at that age to shoot dime size groups at a 100 yards, at his range at the house. I spent my summers there in the Berkshires hunting over 20 fields covering a five square mile area. I had no license at that age and hunted for 3 to 4 hours every day. I would limit myself to 3 woodchucks a day and shoot at nothing less than 200 yards. By the end of the summer I had made my furthest shot at 360 yards, not bad for a 12 year old boy with ammo he had loaded himself.

I am now an old guy, I have spent many summer days shooting woodchucks, back when we had them here in Up-State NY. I use a wind gauge portable shooting table and a rangefinder. Have some nice rifles and most of the shots consists of doping the wind and looking at my range card. and competing with my shooting partner. I have wasted untold hours building rifles and working up loads over the years. I have come to find that one of the most rewarding parts of shooting, is doing the legwork to get a rifle to shoot it's best. Hours on the range, quiet hours reloading ammo and working on guns has always been on of my favorite pass times.

So, I figure why not buy some cheap piece of junk that has tons of potential but needs tuning, in a caliber I have never loaded for.

I plan on converting a wooden stock to fit, get some decent optics, spend some time fine tuning a well designed rifle and meeting some other like minded shooters along the way. I am fortunate to have 100 yard range outside of my bedroom window that has been unused in the last couple of years, and I am excited over the thought of working up new loads. I am sure there are many others here who are driven by the same passions, I am looking forward to meeting you...Bob

Welcome to the site Bob. Nothing wrong with the Axis, and I know a few guys have built benchrest rifles off one of those actions and done pretty well with them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Thanks for the welcome. It's hard to beat a Savage when it comes to a starting point. I am hoping to build something that works ok, but not have so much money in it that I can't leave it in the pickup all the time. I am not known for being moderate when it comes to things in life so hopefully I don't get carried away with a build. I have enjoyed looking over the forums and the wealth of information here.
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    Might be good enough for a truck gun just the way it is Bob.
    Id personally be finding that out first.

Basic Member
    I don't doubt that for a minute...but that would take all the fun out of it.

I actually have an idea about using a wooden stock off of a Remington 700. None of the holes or inlets will line up. I want to hog out that section of the stock and basically glass bed the action and trigger Assembly, with glass. I would mill out the forearm and insert carbon rods and also tie in the rear stock in the same fashion. I figured it would be fun to play with a stock I am not using, to see if I could make a rigid platform, for pennies. I am looking forward to breaking in a new barrel, and tinkering with some loads. I am sure I could kill a woodchuck or coyote with it just the way it is...but that would be boring.

to use Ginger

Limited mode
    I [QUOTE=yobuck;449356] Might

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    I don't doubt that for a minute...but that would take all the fun out of it.

I actually have an idea about using a wooden stock off of a Remington 700. None of the holes or inlets will line up. I want to hog out that section of the stock and basically glass bed the action and trigger Assembly, with glass. I would mill out the forearm and insert carbon rods and also tie in the rear stock in the same fashion. I figured it would be fun to play with a stock I am not using, to see if I could make a rigid platform, for pennies. I am looking forward to breaking in a new barrel, and tinkering with some loads. I am sure I could kill a woodchuck or coyote with it just the way it is...but that would be boring.
    I can understand what your saying, an old stock just laying around wouldn't cost much of anything but some time.
    But like fixing up a house, best pick a good neiborhood to do it for best all round results. Otherwise, you will just own a nice house.

Welcome,
    Sounds like you're gonna fit right in :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    So, I figure why not buy some cheap piece of junk that has tons of potential but needs tuning, in a caliber I have never loaded for.
    Understand what you're saying but "piece of junk" is a bit harsh. "How about "simple and inexpensive"?

I was looking for a modern replacement for a Remington 788 I owned many years back (and like an idiot sold away) as a no-nonsense hunting tool when I went with the M11 in .260 Rem (an "unexplored" cartridge for me). I went with the cheap synthetic stock because I was planning on a laminated thumbhole replacement. So far delighted with where it is taking me.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I say junk because of the plastic. The release for the mag looks like it would break on a cold day. The rifle came with a bipod, and just the weight of the rifle is enough to deflect the stock to touch the barrel. Maybe it is an age thing, but the rifle has all the feel of cheap. To keep things in perspective this rifle in inflation adjusted dollars is almost half the price it was in the 70s. I own expensive rifles, if I wanted a tricked out rifle in this cal I could have just bought one. But in the old days when I had no money I had to make shoot what I could afford, which meant making every fine adjustment myself, that was the rewarding part.

When I first dated my wife, it would be safe to say that I was simple and cheap. Dates consisted of evening walks and dates to a restaurant consisted of a buffet or very affordable food. I wore my barn boots, and often came to see her after a day of working on the farm. Her friends, maybe even her family 43 years ago would have thought she could do better, I may even have been junk in their eyes. After a lot of hard work, countless hours of fine tuning, my wife still thinks I am worth having around. Past the ruff exterior she saw something she could work with.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum
    Nothing like taking a rifle that usually shoots well and make it shoot even better
    There is a lot of knowledge here and the folks are willing to help if you need it.
    Have fun with your new rifle
    Jack