Thread: Identifying model 10 submodels...

Basic Member

Question Identifying model 10 submodels...

Hi SS'ers... first post here. I have no bolt-action rifles currently, but I've been interested and looking over the last few months. I was originally looking only at Rem 700's for their modularity and popularity, but my (younger, and often wiser) brother nudged me towards Savage Arms. I'm mostly seeking .308s at this time for the availability of ammo.

I've got a bead on a gently-used FCP-K with a garbage scope, mount, and bipod. However, a Savage described only as a Model 10 just came up for sale in my neighborhood; it's cheaper and better-equipped. It has the look of an FCP-K, between the muzzle brake and barrel profile, but I have only one photo to go on.

How do I identify an FCP-K? Are there any markings unique to that model? How about by S/N? Additionally, how can I identify whether a rifle has an Accu-Trigger and/or Accu-Stock? Thanks for your patience, in the case that this has been covered elsewhere.

Well to start off according to the recently abandoned model lettering system the F is for synthetic, the C is for detachable box magazine, and the P is for law enforcement series of rifle. Not sure about the K.
    Here's a link to the model designations
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...r-Designations

An accutrigger model will have a center blade that has to be depressed in order for the sear to fall and is clearly visible on these models. There have been a bunch of model 10s produced in so many configurations that the "letter designations" can get lost quickly in the shuffle. for instance there is a model 10TR that was made a few years ago that comes with the accutrigger, accustock with a wide beavertail fore end, heavy threaded barrel in a couple of lengths both fluted and unfluted, oversized bolt handle, scope base, and the letter designation of TR is nothing I've found as a useful description and i'm not sure the Savage website ever cataloged this model. Maybe as with many other models it was an uncatalogued distributor exclusive. ( a lot of these exist to further muddy the water)
    The only way I know of to ID an accustock is to remove the action and have a look to see if theres an aluminum bedding block. though the rifles I've seen with plastic around the magwell have never been accustock models.
    If you find a rifle you like at the right price I wouldn't get too caught up on the letter designation as even old plain jane flatback rifles (older models with a flat spot milled below the rear scope mount) from years gone by can be some real head turners at the range.
    Good luck and hope this helps.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member

Identifying model 10 submodels...

It helps tremendously... thanks!

I'm guessing the "K" represents the factory muzzle brake.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member
    Yes, the K indicates the muzzle brake.

The following indicator is usually after a dash like the K designation and are fairly new and not on the list linked in post #2.
    -HS indicates a HS Precision stock

The designators may be correct for some categories of rifles and not others.
    I have two Savages centerfire rifles with that have a T designator that the list claims are for rimfire rifles with peep sights.
    10T-SR - came scope ready with no sight rail
    11 VT (came with a scope mounted on a full length scope mount)
    They may be 'made especially for' models but they don't follow the list.

I also have a 12 LRP factory model that is not a left handed police model - it is a right handed, long barrel, long range precision model with a Precision Target Accu-trigger with a HS precision stock.
    I believe it was designated LRP to differentiate it from the already existing 12 LVP model that is not a Left handed police model but a long barrel, varmint model without a Precision Target trigger and a laminated stock.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 02-17-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added exceptions to the list rules

Basic Member
    The trouble is, this particular rifle is identified only as a Model 10 on the barrel. I have no letter designations, so I can only guess at that.

I do have some decent photos:

Top mag release. Muzzle brake looks factory. Trigger guard and mag well are metal. Accu-trigger. Fluted barrel, big knurled bolt handle.

I have a trade negotiated for a new (but poorly equipped) 10 FCP-K, but we can't meet up for about another month. This one looks like a good deal, but it'd be a cash purchase and not a trade. I'm trading a new Saiga 12 with three mags and two 20-round drums.

I'm on the fence whether to spend the cash or wait out the trade. As far as I can tell, the only difference between this rifle and the FCP-K I'm looking at is the fluted barrel.

Basic Member
    That rifle is not a 10 FCP-K because it does not have a lower bolt release or an Accu-stock. My 10 FCP-K comes with two front sling swivels. The picture looks like this stock may only have one.
    My 10 FCP-K came with a 4 round Savage magazine not the extended magazine that this one shows.
    The muzzle brake is not the standard 10 FCP-K muzzle brake (which has only horizontal holes without holes in the top of the brake).
    The standard 10 FCP-K barrel is a 24-inch fluted barrel. That one looks shorter than that in the picture.

In fact, it looks like my old 10 FP .308 that I had rebarreled with a 24-inch target barrel that I had Savage flute when they rebarreled it.
    The new target barrel came suppressor ready that would have allowed mounting a muzzle brake.
    However, the 10 FP has a hidden magazine.

I believe that around that time there was a 10 FCP-SR model that had an extended magazine (I believe from Savage) that this one might be but I am not sure it had a fluted barrel or a lower bolt release.
    I don't believe that model came with a muzzle brake but a third party muzzle brake would be easy to add if the barrel was threaded for a suppressor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    That rifle is not a 10 FCP-K because it does not have a lower bolt release or an Accu-stock. My 10 FCP-K comes with two front sling swivels. The picture looks like this stock may only have one.
    I was pretty certain this isn't an FCP-K; just trying to figure out what it is. On the swivel count, hard to say. How can you tell this isn't an Accu-stock? My only hint was the metal mag well.
    The standard 10 FCP-K barrel is a 24-inch fluted barrel.
    Oh, it IS fluted? The FCP-K I negotiated the trade on is a non-fluted heavy barrel. The seller claims it's brand-new.

Basic Member
    My 10 FCP-K .308, my son's 10 FCP-K .308 and .223, and a 10 FCP-K .308 and the two 10 FCP-K .223s that my range buddies shoot are have fluted 24-inch barrels with muzzle brakes, lower bolt releases, and Accu-stocks with two front swing swivels.
    I believe that all the series 10 models (Law Enforcement) had two front swing swivels.
    Even my old 10 FP (2008 vintage) had two front swing swivels and it didn't have an Accu-stock or a detachable magazine.
    The old 10 FP came with a non-fluted, heavy barrel that was not threaded and a top bolt release.

Our 10 FCP-Ks are all several years old. I bought my 10 FCP-K in 2013 or 2014.

Savage discontinued the 10 FCP-K at least a year or two ago, maybe more.
    The rifle you negotiated for might have had the barrel changed. I doubt it is in original configuration if the barrel is not fluted.

Find out if it has an Accu-stock (bolt release at the front of the trigger guard) - all 10 FCP-Ks came with an Accu-stock and lower bolt release.
    The rifle in the picture has a top bolt release lever. The magazine release is at the front of the magazine on both the Accu-Stock and non-Accu-stock.

I would check the serial numbers with Savage on both rifles.
    They can tell you what configuration the rifles were in when they were manufactured and the date of manufacture.

However, I would add that my old 10 FP with the new barrel (upgraded by Savage) shoots slightly more accurately than my newer 10 FCP-K.
    The original 10 FP barrel didn't shoot as well as the rebarreled version but I shot 6,500 rounds through it and was satisfied with its accuracy before I started to see some slight loss in accuracy and had it rebarreled by Savage.

Basic Member
    My 10 FCP-K .308, my son's 10 FCP-K .308 and .223, and a 10 FCP-K .308 and the two 10 FCP-K .223s that my range buddies shoot are have fluted 24-inch barrels with muzzle brakes, lower bolt releases, and Accu-stocks with two front swing swivels.
    Interesting. The seller of the FCP-K that I found said his rifle has an upper bolt release, and non-fluted barrel with a threaded-on muzzle brake. The rifle above I confirmed does have two sling studs on the forend. The bipod is mounted on the forward one.
    The rifle you negotiated for might have had the barrel changed. I doubt it is in original configuration if the barrel is not fluted.
    Hm. I'd like to confirm that, since the seller says it's new.
    Find out if it has an Accu-stock (bolt release at the front of the trigger guard) - all 10 FCP-Ks came with an Accu-stock and lower bolt release.
    The rifle in the picture has a top bolt release lever. The magazine release is at the front of the magazine on both the Accu-Stock and non-Accu-stock.
    This is the part I was missing. Upper bolt release means non-Accu-stock. Got it. Thanks!
    I would check the serial numbers with Savage on both rifles.
    They can tell you what configuration the rifles were in when they were manufactured and the date of manufacture.
    I was thinking about doing that, but I've heard Savage CS is less than interested in assisting end users.

The more I consider this, the more I'm thinking I should just pony up for the local rifle pictured above and worry about offloading the Saiga some other way.

Looks to me like someone may have installed that fluted barrel "after the fact".
    It appears that the recoil lug (sandwiched between the barrel nut and the action in the top photo) is stainless. I have never seen one that came from the factory that way.
    As I stated earlier, If you find a rifle you like at the right price I wouldn't get too caught up on the letter designation. If it has been altered after the factory you'll probably just wind up chasing your tail for nothing. For a while Savage had a "parts finder" at their website that would let you enter a serial # and tell you how your rifle left the factory. To my knowledge this feature is no longer available.

I mean if you really want to, simply follow the features on your rifle as it is now, and then assign your own letter code.
    thing is if the price is right and it's what you want then get it. if not then pass and get what you want. I really dont see it becoming a collectable or anything any time soon.
    Good luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Looks to me like someone may have installed that fluted barrel "after the fact".
    It appears that the recoil lug (sandwiched between the barrel nut and the action in the top photo) is stainless. I have never seen one that came from the factory that way.

As I stated earlier, If you find a rifle you like at the right price I wouldn't get too caught up on the letter designation. If it has been altered after the factory you'll probably just wind up chasing your tail for nothing.
    This bolded part is really the only reason I care what the letter designation is. It's not about the letters, it's about whether the rifle is what it was when it left Massachusetts in the box. The rifle in this trade I'd negotiated has stuff that, evidently, an FCP-K didn't come with, and the seller claims it's a brand-new FCP-K. So, something's a little wonky with it. Maybe it's not what he says it is. I don't know.

Ultimately, I want an Accu-stock / Accu-trigger rifle with a 24" or so heavy barrel and removable magazine. Metal trigger guard. Muzzle brake, or at least threaded for one. Not sure if I care whether it's fluted or not; I haven't looked into the weight difference. And relatively unmolested from the factory. So far that means an FCP in K or SR flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    For a while Savage had a "parts finder" at their website that would let you enter a serial # and tell you how your rifle left the factory. To my knowledge this feature is no longer available.
    Yeah, I tried using a link I found here, but it was a dead-end. Too bad Savage couldn't leave that up. Even if they just stopped updating it, it would continue to be a good resource.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member

Exclamation Call off the search...

I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a NIB Savage SKU# 22441 FCP-SR on GunBroker.com, and went to the shop's website directly for an even better deal. The rifle has most of what I was looking for:

• Accu-trigger
    • Accu-stock
    • 24" heavy fluted/threaded barrel
    • 10-rnd mag
    • EGW one-piece rail (probably 0 MOA; I'll change that out first)

I really wanted an Accu-stock and couldn't find one locally. I'm planning to paint this rifle with Aluma-Hyde epoxy, and I wanted a decent factory stock to start with (and not ruin an expensive aftermarket stock).

I'll be looking for a muzzle brake soon, and reading these forums for advice on that. And I'll attempt to trade my Saiga 12 for a good FFP optic in the 20x range. Maybe I can find something locally.

Thanks for your help, everyone, it was a big help. I'll be posting more later on as I get this rig put together.