Thread: Remington Recoil Lug on a Savage?

Basic Member

Remington Recoil Lug on a Savage?

Hi Guys,

I have a line on some very cheap (price-wise), high quality aftermarket recoil lugs. They will fit a Savage small shank, but do not have the "peg" for aligning in the slot on the action (they are Remington Style). How hard are they to line up with out this? Or would there be a way to add one?

Thanks,

Adam
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

dcloco

Re: Remington Recoil Lug on a Savage?

Drill, tap, and add a flat head screw.

I have always wanted to build a fixture that would line up the lug to the center of the action screws (of course, we are assuming the action screws were drilled on center).

Sinman - r u listening??

Basic Member

I thought of that, but aren't they hardened steel? Would that affect the procedure?
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

dcloco

They should be stainless. Sharp bit at slow speed.

dcloco

Got me thinking now. Remove the alignment screw from an aftermarket lug for a Savage, place the new Rem lug and Savage lug on a barrel....to align the inner circle, align the base of the lugs, and lightly punch the location for the hole to be drilled.

82boy

There is a tool made (Don't know who makes it) for aligning the recoil lugs. (I think it runs $25 bucks, watch Gun broker, and Auction Arms, they are sold on there from time to time.) The tool is round and follows the curves of the receiver, and it is attached with a screw threaded in the front action screw hole. It has two tangs that go out that the recoil lug rest in, and is held strait.
    But lets think about this, by the time you bought a tool, or spent the time drilling and taping the lug and placing a screw in there, (Count the cost of the drill bit, tap, and screw, and the recoil lug, and hopefully you get it right the first try) are you really that much ahead of buying one for $28 bucks?

1Shot

...Been there done that...Best to just buy 1 already done... :-X

Basic Member

I don't think I want to mess with them, but they are CHEAP, $5 over on ebay, just search Savage, if anyone does want to do it.

Adam

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher
    I don't think I want to mess with them, but they are CHEAP, $5 over on ebay, just search Savage, if anyone does want to do it.
    With $4.95 shipping making them $9.95, not a bad deal. I check it out, Brownell's discontinued these, they still have the standard chrome moly steel selling at $18.74, untill they are sold out. The ones he is selling for $5 bucks would fit a large shank action. The problem is the Factory large shank recoil lugs are not that bad, the main problem children are the small shank lugs.

Basic Member

Are you sure these are large shank? 1 and 1/16 inch is 1.0625, shanks are 1.055" and 1.120". . .

82boy

Considering that Brownell's no longer list the lug he is selling the 078-000-028 which should be the over-sized lug. The standard CM lug 078-000-026 Brownell's has discontinued but it is still in stock shows an ID of 1.062, I would guess his measurement are off, because the over-sized (Still listed in stainless) lug shows a ID of 1.077. I am looking at Brownell's measurements, do to the lister on e-bay doesn't have an exact measurement just states that they are 1 1/16 ID. I guess I am partily wrong because the oversized lug will not fit the large shank barrels. They would be a sloppy fit on a standard shank barrel. Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...ZED_RECOIL_LUG

You was wondering about the tool this is close to what it looks like, this tool may even work.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7...00_BARREL_TOOL

Basic Member

I use a Callahan chrome-moly .30" lug without the centering button so I can match the standard blueing. I just made an action vice, mostly out of junk, (except for the 1/4 sawn white oak "jaws") it will always center the lug. It will fit Savage (flat rear) and Stevens (round rear) LA & SA for extra stability works great and I can also headspace the gun while it's in it, too. I'll send you photos and description if you'd like.

Basic Member

khuff, I for one would like to see what you made and a description. thank you
    6CM