Thread: Accustock

Accustock

Okay here it goes, need some opinions/advice. Purchased a Model 116 Weather Warrior w/accustock in 7mm rem mag when they first came out, thought the accustock was going to be the s**t. After extensive load developement, still cannot find consistency in a load, I believe the accustock to be the culprit. Sent the rifle to Fred at Sharp Shooter and had a T&T done, excellent work very satisfied, still no consistency in finding a good load. Have read on here that some guys have removed the wedge and bedded the rifle w/ great results. Should that be my next step or should I just send the rifle out and have a new stock put on it? Also I called Savage and told them that I was having accuracy issues with my rifle and I believed the accustock was the problem. The person I talked to wanted to know what kind of groups I was getting I said around 1" to 1.25", he said that falls well within Savage's expectations. So much for that. I then asked him if Savage was changing the accustock and was told that YES Savage has removed the WEDGE from their accustock. When I asked if I could buy one of their new accustocks for my rifle I was told NO. I don't understand how they can admit that the accustock's wedge was causing problems but yet they won't even offer this stock to those of us who have the earlier accustocks. And yes, I have retorque the stock per the instructions using a torque wrench, I have even tried the special tighting sequence I read about here on the forum and also have tried it with the wedge removed. Any opinions would be appreciated.

82boy

Re: Accustock

I found that removing the wedge was a big help, I never tried bedding the rifle after doing so. I would take the wedge out, heck if it don't work you have not changed the rifle. (You can put it back in.) You would be surprised sell your accu-stock, I have seen people jump on them when they come up for sale. (Don't know why.) Then, buy a nice stock.

longpoker

Quote Originally Posted by dmini
    Okay here it goes, need some opinions/advice. Purchased a Model 116 Weather Warrior w/accustock in 7mm rem mag when they first came out, thought the accustock was going to be the s**t. After extensive load developement, still cannot find consistency in a load, I believe the accustock to be the culprit. Sent the rifle to Fred at Sharp Shooter and had a T&T done, excellent work very satisfied, still no consistency in finding a good load. Have read on here that some guys have removed the wedge and bedded the rifle w/ great results. Should that be my next step or should I just send the rifle out and have a new stock put on it? Also I called Savage and told them that I was having accuracy issues with my rifle and I believed the accustock was the problem. The person I talked to wanted to know what kind of groups I was getting I said around 1" to 1.25", he said that falls well within Savage's expectations. So much for that. I then asked him if Savage was changing the accustock and was told that YES Savage has removed the WEDGE from their accustock. When I asked if I could buy one of their new accustocks for my rifle I was told NO. I don't understand how they can admit that the accustock's wedge was causing problems but yet they won't even offer this stock to those of us who have the earlier accustocks. And yes, I have retorque the stock per the instructions using a torque wrench, I have even tried the special tighting sequence I read about here on the forum and also have tried it with the wedge removed. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    I recently did the test myself and found that it shot much better with the wedge than w/o it. I sent my stock back to savage because the finish was peeling off!,called Savage an was told to send it back for a new one. Maybe they will send me one of their new improved A.S., I will find out in a couple of weeks. My LRH shots really well the average is around .600" or less.

juliomorris

We played around at the range with 4 stocks and one rifle. We had a Mcmillian, a B&C, and the accu stock W/O wedge. Oh we did have a tupper wear also. The Mac and the Accu stock gave equal accuracy with B&C right behind (which in fairness may have been me I had biggst group) and the tupper wear opened up considerably. The Mac was bedded for that rifle.

mugsie

I would talk to Savage again and tell them you are going to send the rifle in for repair because of no consistency in the grouping. Let them take a look at it - the most it's going to cost you is the shipping.
    I had a 10FP in .308 with the Choate stock, that no matter what I did it strung vertical. Match ammo, hand loads, other shooters, all vertical. I called Savage, told them the steps I had done and they suggested I send it back and let them look at it. Long story short - the changed the barrel. Now it groups in little ragged holes! You'll have nothing to lose by insisting they do it right.

cummins cowboy

MOA from a 7 mag out of a light sporter barrel isn't bad accuracy, IMO once you start using magnum cases if you want accuracy to be much better than that you have to step up to heavier barrels. I don't think you should be unhappy with how the gun is shooting for what it is. you could try putting another barrel on it, but unless its heavier it may or may not shoot any better.