Thread: Model 12 ejection (not)

Model 12 ejection (not)

Hello all. First time posting here because I have no idea where else to go after my phone conversation with Savage this morning left me with VERY LITTLE confidence in Savage customer service.
    This is a copy of the email I sent them to which I received NO response, ergo the phone call:

"This rifle is a 308 WIN. I purchased it new and it has always had marginal performance in regard to ejection. However it has finally reached the point where it will not eject whatsoever. It just extracts the fired case and drops it into the receiver on top of the next round in the magazine.

I have installed a new extractor and an 9/64" extractor detent ball.
    The ejector plunger and spring are free and appear to be doing what they are designed to do
    I have tried several different brands of ammo and they all fail to eject.
    It appears that the bolt face is so large that when the case is pulled clear of the chamber by the extractor, as the case mouth clears the chamber and tips to the right in the receiver recess, the left side of the cartridge case rim tips far enough for the rim to clear the bolt face recess and allow the case to become disengaged from the extractor."

I did a search here on the forum about this problem and found I'm not the only one to experience this problem but I didn't find a fix. If I missed it, and I sure could have, would someone please either repost the fix or steer me to the thread/s that explain the fix?

Thank you for any help and/or advice.

This seems to be a somewhat common issue. From what I've found, the most common fix is to get the Sharps Shooter Supply extractor and ejector upgrade kit. I need to get one ordered myself, mine is lethargic at best.
    I just wish SSS had a better online ordering system.

One thing you can do is get a larger ball for the extractor detent. This keeps the extractor in the proper location, the smaller detent ball lets the extractor float back and away from the rim just enough to be an issue in some cases. I can remember the size but I think it was just a couple of thousands smaller than the hole. If someone else doesn't respond with the size I will post it later.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

9/64’s ball will fix it right up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Original post says he has already installed a 9/64 ball and new extractor.
    First thing, I would clean the chamber to insure there is nothing making the case stick a little after firing .
    I have had success changing the extractor before but I had several and one finally worked.
    I think it is hit and miss due to the tolerances.
    The sharp shooter kit might do the job but it might not. It was designed to fix a certain problem with a specific caliber but it does seem to help other calibers sometimes.
    Another option is change out the bolt head - you need to check the head space if you do this.
    Sorry you are having problems.
    Hopefully others will post ideas
    Jack

Basic Member
    Try the SSS kit from Tac Works when they get some more in: https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...actor-Kit.html

All of my Savages would eject, just pretty weak. I put in the larger balls but it made no difference as I really didn't have an extraction issue in the first place. It was the ejector in the kit that really made the difference. Brass will fly out now.

Sorry bout that, missed it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Years ago I had this problem with mine, something tells me that if you get a different calibers extractor it is slightly larger and the problem goes away. Mine eject very well now and I have not put any aftermarket parts into that system.

I skimmed over that as well. I have never had an issue with extraction or ejection when everything was cleaned. I have replaced all of my detent balls with the .141" ball. There were no issues prior so what the heck do I know anyway.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I’ve had this issue on several rifles. Installing the 9/64 detente ball and polishing/lube the extractor and bolt where the extractor slides fixed it. Mine had a bur on the bolt where the extractor rides. Wouldn’t eject for crap. After removing this I haven’t had a single issue.

Yes I did read that you tried the 9/64 ball and new extractor. I’m suggesting you check the bolt for burs. Check the ejector as well.

Sometimes the ejector can feel ok but is actually weak. Or hanging up/not coming out the full distance

Basic Member
    Also check for two sharp scratches on the case below the shoulder. Some calibers the shoulder diameter and position are just right for catching in between the sharp edges left on the corners of the bolt raceway on the ejection side of the receiver and bolt lug and grabs the case as it drags past. Polish those corners.

Basic Member
    Hard to analyze what is going on with out the bolt in one's hand. You might try removing the bolt and put a spent case in the head and try to figure out what's going on. Ejector is suspect but the extractor might not be holding on long enough. You'll probably find the issue.

Is the ejector the newer canted type?
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
    Also check for two sharp scratches on the case below the shoulder. Some calibers the shoulder diameter and position are just right for catching in between the sharp edges left on the corners of the bolt raceway on the ejection side of the receiver and bolt lug and grabs the case as it drags past. Polish those corners.
    This was the issue I had with a 223 Savage. As the case cleared the breech it would slam against the bolt lug buttress where there is a sharp corner, denting/gouging the case. This would knock it off the bolt head. I could literally count the number of cycles on the brass by the dents in the case. Since I shoot off the bench exclusively with this gun, I chose to remove the ejector altogether. Now I simply pick the brass off the head and put it back in the block.

When the barrel was shot out, I used the opportunity to round off the offending corner, and I do this all my Savage actions while a barrel is off.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    To muddy the waters-

I pretty much have learned to live with it in my Model 12, .223, F/TR. All brass other than Lapua will not eject. Lapua will eject about half of the time. As I said, it is a slight pain in the ass, unlike a colonoscopy.

After almost two years of putting up with poor extraction from my model 10 GRS, including getting the parts from Savage and then sending it to get checked (when I had a separate issue that required checking) with no improvement, after reading through the various threads here I replaced the detent ball and it is extracting flawlessly. Wish I had found this sooner. Thanks.