Thread: 6.5 CM Model 12LRP to 6.5 PRC

6.5 CM Model 12LRP to 6.5 PRC

Hello All,
    I have been mulling over swapping my nearly shot out 6.5 Creedmoor with a change to 6.5 PRC. I know this would require changing the standard .473 bolt face for a magnum .540 face. Looks like my options are this savage part that never seems to be in stock anywhere or a PTG bolt face.

however im a bit confused... ive read a few post about others doing similar changes and it seems pretty straightforward but the PTG site mentions

ATTENTION*
    Be Advised: Bolts may need to be fitted to receiver. The bolt locking-lugs will likely need to be trued to your receiver; a gunsmith would be required.
    Can anyone comment on this specifically.... maybe im misunderstanding what a drop in replacement is....

thank you

Basic Member
    Great question OP. I'm interested in what smithing is required if any. I can't answer the question though.

Quote Originally Posted by Keone View Post
    Hello All,
    I have been mulling over swapping my nearly shot out 6.5 Creedmoor with a change to 6.5 PRC. I know this would require changing the standard .473 bolt face for a magnum .540 face. Looks like my options are this savage part that never seems to be in stock anywhere or a PTG bolt face.

however im a bit confused... ive read a few post about others doing similar changes and it seems pretty straightforward but the PTG site mentions

ATTENTION*
    Be Advised: Bolts may need to be fitted to receiver. The bolt locking-lugs will likely need to be trued to your receiver; a gunsmith would be required.
    Can anyone comment on this specifically.... maybe im misunderstanding what a drop in replacement is....

thank you
    The warning on the PT&G bolt heads is because PT&G knows little to nothing about Savage's and thus doesn't know how to make their parts to fit within the actual production tolerances of Savage actions. There's been more than a few people who got them and they wouldn't even fit into the raceway of their action, others had issues with the lugs being to thick and not being able to rotate once they reached the lug ramps. They also come "as machined" meaning they haven't been tumbled to remove the sharp edges so you'll need to hit them lightly with a file to keep them from binding up while passing through either end of the ejection port. The faces on them are just as oversized as the factory bolt heads, so there's no reason to justify the added cost. They are also all equipped with a large firing pin hole for the larger firing pins which Savage hasn't used since what - the late 1990's or early 2000's? This results in a lot of cratered primers and guys having to pay someone to bush the firing pin hole for them.

The other problem with this conversion is that magnum bolt heads on newer center feed guns require a different front baffle and firing pin assembly as they have thicker lugs. Now you're looking at even more money for additional parts that are hard to come by. Much easier to just start with a rifle already setup for a magnum cartridge.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    As a matter of fact, I just received an action today for T&T that has a PTG bolt head that will not fit into the raceways, not to mention the fact that it is a magnum face with 7/16" lugs. It will take more work to make it fit, than the cost of a Savage bolt head.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks for the replies... is it a bad idea to replace the entire bolt ? Is that even possible ?

Basic Member
    So why not use the EABCO service?

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Bolt-Fa...O_p_14318.html

Thanks Charlie B.... I wasn't aware of this service.