Thread: School Me on AccuTrigger

Basic Member

School Me on AccuTrigger

I am sure that there have been lengthy discussions previously on this subject. However, here is my dilemma. I am in search of a donor rifle for a 338-06 build. Thus far I have stayed away from those with the accutrigger because I have heard of some issues. Mainly that people have been in hunting situations and due to the trigger the gun not firing. I have heard this from a gunsmith as well as a acquaintance who has several Savages but no longer those with the accutrigger. So, I have the following questions;
    Are these statements and situations common?
    I know there are alternative triggers. Is it worth the change?
    Are there certain years or models that have had more problems?

Thanks

Basic Member
    My wife and I each have 110 Storms, hers is 30-06, mine a 300WM both with accutrigger. The 30-06 has trigger set at 2.5lbs, the 300 is at 2.0lbs. I have been working up loads for both rifles right now (weather permitting) mainly the 06. Between us we have well over 100 rounds closer to 150 down the barrel on the 06 and probably 75-100 on the 300. Neither has had any failure to fire of any kind, in fact no problems of any kind at all.

Mike

Basic Member
    I have both an Axis and 111 with accutrigger and have had no problems with either. As long as your trigger pull is straight back with no side to side pull you should be OK. Really like mine and for hunting set them to about 2.5 to 3 pound pull.

Basic Member
    If the Accutrigger is set too light, the trigger may decock when the bolt is closed. It does not slam-fire; it decocks. If that happens, increase the trigger pull weight until it does not happen. It's part of the safety features of the Accutrigger, which, IMO, is the safest trigger on the market. Do NOT remove or alter the blade in the middle of the trigger. That's what makes it safe. If that is removed or altered improperly, the Accutrigger becomes one of the least safe triggers. I have played with just about every trigger - OK, not the Gruenig & Elmiger, Tubb, Bix n Andy, or Huber - and I have no plans to replace my Accutrigger, even if there was a Jewell option (my favorite).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    If the Accutrigger is set too light, the trigger may decock when the bolt is closed. It does not slam-fire; it decocks. If that happens, increase the trigger pull weight until it does not happen. It's part of the safety features of the Accutrigger, which, IMO, is the safest trigger on the market. Do NOT remove or alter the blade in the middle of the trigger. That's what makes it safe. If that is removed or altered improperly, the Accutrigger becomes one of the least safe triggers. I have played with just about every trigger - OK, not the Gruenig & Elmiger, Tubb, Bix n Andy, or Huber - and I have no plans to replace my Accutrigger, even if there was a Jewell option (my favorite).

I agree. I think the issues you have been hearing about must be from people adjusting them too light for what they intend to use them for. They then either close the bolt too hard, or jarr the rifle tripping the sear, which then makes it to where you can not fire until you raise the bolt handle to recock then close it again.
    Being adjusted very light is great for bench and target shooting, not so much for hunting where it may be handled a little rough.

I love my accutriggers. I agree with the above, it is a very safe trigger without being cumbersome or annoying to the user.

There you have it. The trigger on a hunting rifle is not designed to be set as low as a target rifle. As it has been explained, if set too low it will trip to the safety catch on bolt closing or on any slight bump.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The other thing that will trip the safety feature is if you put sideways pressure on the safety blade. This is a matter of poor trigger discipline/form, not a design flaw as some would like to claim, as it ensures that if dropped and the rifle lands at an odd angle the jolt can't permit the sear to be released allowing the rifle to fire.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I've put 600 rds down range with my accutriged 308 and several thousand trough my 22lr Target with no problems

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I don't like them but as you can see I'm in the minority. Give me a tuned three screw trigger, SAV-1 or Timney. With that being said I'm not sure I would swap it out if it came with the rifle I wanted.

Basic Member
    I have an Axis Accutrigger with just about 1000rnds through it. Mine is fired at ranges only. Adjusted almost as light as it can go. No problems.

I also have a 12 with the 'light' Accutrigger. Adjusted as it came from the factory, probably less than 1lb. About 500rnds through it without a problem.

I like them, but, I don't abuse them in the field either.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I don't like them but as you can see I'm in the minority. Give me a tuned three screw trigger, SAV-1 or Timney. With that being said I'm not sure I would swap it out if it came with the rifle I wanted.
    I'm with you dav, I'll add the SSS and the SAVII to the list.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Add me to this list too. The one that’s on my 223 has been absolutely stone reliable at 1.5 pounds and I’ve never ever had it trip. One thing I’ve learned over the years is there’s a lot of people who can go out and kill big deer every single year and that’s a result of being a good hunter, not a result of knowing a damn thing about firearms or proper cleaning methods, shooting position, trigger habits etc.

Basic Member
    I have 5 Savage rifles with Accu-triggers, one with the Precision Target Accu-trigger that came from the Factory set at 10 ounces. Minimum pull is spec'ed at .5 lbs.
    All of the other 4 are LE/Varmint Accu-triggers. All of those are set at 2 lbs. (minimum is 1.5 lbs.). I had a problem with one of them that loosened up after about 2000 rounds and dropped to minimum pull. It became extremely sensitive to side pressure on the blade and eventually would lock if I closed the bolt too briskly. Resetting it to 2 lbs. with a dab of Loc-tite on the spring adjustment screw solved the problem.
    The Standard Accu-trigger minimum is 2.5 lbs. It is on the majority of Savages, those without a model 10 or a V in the model identification.
    In my experience, as long as I stay 0.5 lbs. above the minimum setting I've had no issues.

Basic Member
    1. make sure the accutrigger is clean.
    2. don't adjust below the recommended pull weight.
    3. if the spring loosened up after lots of rounds down range, tighten it up again.

I have only ever had one decock on me and it was on the red target trigger and It went 700 rounds perfectly without a decock until the trigger spring came loose. I took the slop out of it (tightened it) and there we were at 8 ounces again and again worked perfectly and no more decocking. I have never had a hunting rifle trigger fail on me. If you follow these guidelines and still get a decocking trigger then it is either defective or more likely you are the problem by having bad trigger technique.

I have plenty of accutrigger rifles , never had any of the problems I've read about online.
    This leads me to believe that most of those who poo poo the accutrigger are the same ones who claim Savages are ugly because of the barrel nut.
    Just my opinion......
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Accutrigger is one of the major reasons why I buy Savages. I cant believe its such a joke when other manufactures are copying it in some form or another.

Basic Member
    I converted all my AccuTriggers to the SSS trigger. I personally much prefer it to the insert blade of the AccuTrigger but to each his own.