Thread: New Scope for Axis II

New Scope for Axis II

Hi all,

Looking for some scope advice, especially from those of you with some gray in your hair.
    My dad bought himself an Axis II XP after giving me his old Savage 99. At 60, the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope his rifle came packaged with isn't cutting it. We're looking for something with a clearer sight picture and wider FOV.
    Mostly the rifle is for hunting deer in dense woods. Not sure if we should go with 3-9x50, 4-12x40, or just a better 3-9x40?

Looking for recommendations, thanks in advance

Well I qualify to comment now... My hair has some gray after raising two kids... LOL!!

I have upgraded to a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 on my hunting rifle... I used to use a 3-9 but I just can't see as well as I did when I was under 40... I usually hunt Elk in the deadfall and thick stuff similar to you, and I usually have mine set at 6X... Gives me the ability to see from 50 yards out to 150 pretty easily. And then I can crank it up if I ever have the 200+ yard shot... Works just about perfect.

Basic Member
    The packaged Bushnell is really not *that* bad. Define "clearer sight picture". Is the color, contrast, light transmission too poor...or does he needs more zoom range?

Basic Member
    How dense? What I called dense woods a 100yd shot was rare, so 4x is as high as I would go. I used to hunt with a Contender and 3x scope. A red dot would have been nice. Or, a red dot with magnifier. Great for those woods when lighting changes from bright to dim frequently. Back in those days I even used open sights.

Out here in the west most of my hunting was more open so a 3-9 or 4-12 was better.

Now days I just shoot at paper. I like my Vortex scopes (Diamondback and Viper) but most brands have their good and less than good models.

Basic Member
    Look at the Nikon prostaff I have been happy with the ones I purchased

Basic Member
    I would second the Nikon Prostaff. I also havea couple of the Stryka S5 3-9x40 that I picked up from OpticsPlanet for about $125 that I like a lot.

Team Savage
    Take a look at the Leupold VX-Freedom in 3-9x40mm. Lifetime warranty. Good glass and lens coatings for contrast in low light conditions at a price that won't break the bank. Compact profile and lighter than other scope brands. Most of us old folks don't want or need to pack a telescope around on our hunting rifle.

Thanks for the input guys. What are your thoughts on 4-12x40 versus 3-9x50? Is there an advantage in trading lens diameter for mag. power?
    One of my other rifles has a 3-9x40 Leupold VX Freedom. Image quality is great, but don't know whether it's worth looking into something with a larger diameter and/or magnification.
    I'll check out the Nikon ProStaff while I'm at it though

For greater context, by dense woods I mean visibility up to 100 yds, and shots being taken within that range.
    The area is a mix of evergreen forests with expanses of pine and manzanita in the drier parts, and big, open meadows in the wet parts.

@celltech, the issue is the image clarity. As part of an all-in-one package, the Bushnell is fine for what it is, but I think it would be better suited to a rimfire than a .308
    The biggest issue is the image quality. Granted, the Leupold cost at least twice as much, but in comparison it's image is bright with good contrast and just feels more open

Basic Member
    If the shooting is at 100 yards then 9X should be plenty. If he wants more clarity and brightness then my feeling is he would be better served by the 50mm. I have a Redfield 3-9x50 and I do have to admit it's pretty darn clear and will allow me to see things longer as the sun drops. Nikon has a Buckmaster 3-9x50 that is pretty dang cheap....

Basic Member
    I just bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40 to put on a 25-06 for a little less than $150, and I'm well into the grey hair group(73) and have shots out about 200 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWW123 View Post
    Look at the Nikon prostaff I have been happy with the ones I purchased
    What he said