Thread: Here's a blast from the past!

Here's a blast from the past!

This was filmed somewhere back in the 2004-2006 timeframe. I think Fred and I laughed more on the day this was filmed that either of us had in a long, long time. This poor guy had scripted out his lines and practiced them extensively, yet couldn't get through a single sentence without buggering it up when the camera was rolling. Fred on the other hand just winged it and never missed a beat. After about two hours of struggling Fred offered him some Captain Morgan's to help take the edge off.

I also don't think Fred's shop has been that clean and tidy since. haha
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I enjoyed that. Thanks. I finally have a face and pony tail to go along with the name.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The customer isn't always right, but he is always the customer. lol
    I think they both did well, enjoyable video, and my idea of what a nice gun looks like.

Basic Member
    I had a lot of fun with that guy, but he was a wreck by the end of the day. It took 14 takes before he actually walked through the door. He came in after the 12th take, bangin' his head against the wall and mumbling, and beating himself up, and I said, "Hey, thespian......you know yer mispronouncing my name?" That just added to his disappointment.
    It took 4 takes at the counter. He'd ask me a question, I'd give him a thorough reply. The problem was, he was actually listening so intently, he'd forget what his next line was. So he'd ask me the same question again, only I would give him a slightly different answer......same result. By the 3rd time, I'd given him a completely different answer, and he got so cross-threaded, we had to post his lines on a filing cabinet that was out of view.
    Once we got to the big reveal, I figured he had things under control, but he bumbled his opening lines 3 times in a row and the cameraman/producer was getting real aggravated, suggesting he take me up on the offer of a shot of Captain,(hell, I had a couple already).

So, he finally got his opening line right, but he still has no idea what I'm going say. I couldn't resist the temptation to mess with him one more time. When he completed the line of
    " What all did you do to it?" Without hesitation I replied, " You mean that dusty, rusty, bent barreled piece of crap you brought in? My god, I had to rub, scrub, steam, ream and dry clean, port, polish, buff, blue, balance& blueprint and then sanitize it for your protection." That's about the time Jim helped the cameraman up off the floor.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Fred years ago you did an article for I think a "Varmint" hunter magazine. In it you had a custom built 22-250 with a fine custom wood stock...that was my first real "wakeup" call for what could be done with a Savage. You still have that rifle or am I mis-remembering?

Basic Member
    That rifle was one of the custom project guns I built for The Varmint Hunter magazine, entitled "Poor Man's Pride". They had about 20 or so custom guns built by various gunsmiths to use in articles.
    This gave their writers something to review, and to promote the advertising gunsmiths. They would always display these guns at the Jamboree so everyone could experience them firsthand. The staff would also use these guns when they had promotional functions and their annual prairie dog hunt. I was told the gals on the staff would fight about who got to shoot this particular gun, because it was everyone's favorite. I even got a phone call from Jim Carmichael, expressing how impressed he was with the rifle. He had a chance to shoot it at a press function, and he said of all the rifles that were there on display, this was the only one that caught his eye. That was the ultimate compliment to me.
    All of the project guns eventually got sold, when Jeff Rheborg took over operations at the Varmint Hunter, to raise money for range improvements.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Used to have that article and pictures of the rifle up here on the site, but it must have gotten lost in one of the changeovers as I can't find it now. If you still have a copy of the article stashed away out there I can scan it and get it posted up again.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

That was the ultimate compliment to me.
    It should have been...that was a fine piece of work.

I can scan it and get it posted up again.
    Great!

Basic Member
    Isn't there another video of Fred, thought I seen one years ago.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Basic Member
    Thanks for reposting that! I had not seen it before.

It was cool to actually see and listen to Fred at least once.

I do not know if I will ever get around to sending a project in but it is good to have a feel for the craftsman who would do the work if I did.

The thing is these factory barrel takeoffs have been so good to me and my real quarry are coyotes, I just have been having an absolute ball with other people’s cast offs and bone stock actions thus far.

Now if I was a Prarrie dog shooter I would be in a different frame mind. My California ground squirrels are nearly always a 200 yd proposition or closer and my builds exceed that accuracy standard with forum barrels by a wide margin. I did install the red blade accu and target sear on a couple of short actions just to jazz things up a bit, woooo hooo!

Best regards

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    This was filmed somewhere back in the 2004-2006 timeframe. I think Fred and I laughed more on the day this was filmed that either of us had in a long, long time. This poor guy had scripted out his lines and practiced them extensively, yet couldn't get through a single sentence without buggering it up when the camera was rolling. Fred on the other hand just winged it and never missed a beat. After about two hours of struggling Fred offered him some Captain Morgan's to help take the edge off.

I also don't think Fred's shop has been that clean and tidy since. haha
    I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but need some advice. I have a Savage model 10 308 and I want to know best height/scope rings to use when mounting your scope. I hope my question makes sense.
    TIA

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk