Thread: New Guy from the land of aliens

New Guy from the land of aliens

Hey folks, just joined the site yesterday after stumbling upon it while doing some research. I'm from Roswell and most of the shooting I do is in preparation for my hunts. Up until recently, I've never been too interested in shooting much farther than 200 yards but I have seen videos of guys shooting steel at long range and it looks pretty fun.

I've been a hunter most of my life, but started deer hunting when I was 13. Saved up my lawn mowing money and bought my first rifle as a teenager, which happened to be a Savage Model 110e in .270. I killed several deer with it and shot it often until one day it started shooting really weird groups. After eliminating all other variables, I'm left with what I believe is a worn out barrel. In my research into options for replacing the barrel and updating the rifle, I stumbled across this website and I've been blown away by all the info. Looking forward to learning as much as I can about my beloved rifle.

-Guy

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Welcome. My wife has title to homesteaded land out your way from her great grandparents. Failed Hoosier endeavor, don’t know if they survived. My father in law woouldnt tell where it is ‘cause he figures I’d sell it. He never understood me!

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Basic Member
    Welcome to our forum, and know that we all appreciate your cash contribution to the site. This is what keeps the collective going so we can share our experiences with all who wish to learn more about accuracy and consistency in shooting sports.

Now, about that barrel. How's your copper cleaning regiment going? Is it possible your barrels lack of accuracy and consistency is due to copper build up? Seen it before.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Welcome to the site Guy!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

welcome, now lets get that 110e upgraded and back in use...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Welcome to our forum, and know that we all appreciate your cash contribution to the site. This is what keeps the collective going so we can share our experiences with all who wish to learn more about accuracy and consistency in shooting sports.

Now, about that barrel. How's your copper cleaning regiment going? Is it possible your barrels lack of accuracy and consistency is due to copper build up? Seen it before.
    Copper build up eh? Never heard of that before, so I'll look into it. Gun was cleaned regularly after shooting, but never had a specific copper cleaning regiment.

The issue I'm having is hard to explain. Almost seemed like it would site-in somewhat, but then the next session it would be way off, so I'd dial it in again and the next session it would be off in a different direction. Couldn't get it to shoot a tight group like it used to either. Started with my old scope, so I got a new one and it continued. Sent the brand new scope back to the manufacturer to get checked, and they said it was fine. Same scope went on another rifle and shoots great. Checked rings, bases and everything else to make sure nothing was loose, which led me to the barrel being the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
    Copper build up eh? Never heard of that before, so I'll look into it. Gun was cleaned regularly after shooting, but never had a specific copper cleaning regiment.

The issue I'm having is hard to explain. Almost seemed like it would site-in somewhat, but then the next session it would be way off, so I'd dial it in again and the next session it would be off in a different direction. Couldn't get it to shoot a tight group like it used to either. Started with my old scope, so I got a new one and it continued. Sent the brand new scope back to the manufacturer to get checked, and they said it was fine. Same scope went on another rifle and shoots great. Checked rings, bases and everything else to make sure nothing was loose, which led me to the barrel being the culprit.
    Sounds to me like your scope took a crap and isn't holding a zero anymore.

Next time you take it out, get the rifle setup in a good solid rest so it can't easily move. Line the crosshair up on your target/bullseye at 100 yards, then give the turret on the scope a few good taps (firm, but not excessive) with the handle of a screwdriver or similar. Now look back through the scope and see if the crosshair is still on the bullseye. Another (and better) option is to test it with a collimator-style bore sighter if you have one. These have a grid in them that you can verify the movement of the scope with when making adjustments.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Sounds to me like your scope took a crap and isn't holding a zero anymore.

Next time you take it out, get the rifle setup in a good solid rest so it can't easily move. Line the crosshair up on your target/bullseye at 100 yards, then give the turret on the scope a few good taps (firm, but not excessive) with the handle of a screwdriver or similar. Now look back through the scope and see if the crosshair is still on the bullseye. Another (and better) option is to test it with a collimator-style bore sighter if you have one. These have a grid in them that you can verify the movement of the scope with when making adjustments.
    When sighting it in I was using a solid rest (lead sled). This problem happened with the first scope (a Tasco I used for years), so I bought a new scope (Nikon) thinking that would fix it. The problem persisted with the new scope, so it was sent back to Nikon who checked it out and said all was good with it. When I got the Nikon back I put it on a different rifle and it performs flawlessly. I put a third scope on the Savage, but I honestly can't remember if I shot it with that one or not. I ended up hunting with a different rifle that year, then got into muzzleloading so I haven't spent much time with my rifle.