Thread: 111 stock question

Basic Member

111 stock question

I have a 111 blind mag 25-06 build and now have a question on the stock. I put a one piece scope base on and it is hard for me and my old fingers to load with this base, I know I can put the 2 piece base back on and probably do OK. I like the DM on my Axis and have a couple of 30-06 mags for it, so been thinking of finding a DM stock for my build. I can't seem to get my mind straight on what stock will work, I want a factory plastic DM but can't figure out exactly what I need. Does the "plastic" bottom metal come molded on the stock or will I need to find it, and will the Axis mag work in the 111 stock? Hope some one will help clear up my confusion and thanks in advance for any help.
    '

When you take your barreled action out of the stock, does the magazine box/follower stay in the stock or is the box attached to action?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If it is a flat back action you might have some problems , staggerfeed can be done but I think the stock needs to be fitted with the bottom metal , center feed I think you need a stock cut for a DBM and the bottom metal

Basic Member
    This is a center feed, box/follower stays with the stock.

I can only give my experience with converting to a Boyds stock. I have the 111 action which was originally a DBM also, so there may be a little difference.

1. Measure your action screw spacing (center to center)
    2. look for your action specs on the Boyds site (Ex: 111 right hand bolt, top or bottom bolt release, and in your case look for DBM)

I swapped out the synthetic stock on my 111 for the Pro Varmint... I had to acquire the "Bottom metal for wood stocks" from Savage directly, as well as the magazine bottom... $150.00 or so
    Your existing blind mag should work, once you've clipped the new bottom on your magazine.

Basic Member
    SageRat Shooter,
    I am wanting to go from synthetic blind mag to a DM synthetic (top bolt release) so my question is if the DM stock is molded or will I need bottom plastic? Since you recall or still have your stock to check and see if molded or not.

My synthetic stock was molded... therefore I couldn't take the bottom metal (Plastic in this case) off of the synthetic and move it to the laminate. Sorry, I didn't see the part where you want to stay with a synthetic. I can't really help you with the after market synthetic options...

Basic Member
    SageRat Shooter,
    Was trying to say cinch you replaced yours do you recall or still have to look at (old fingers and mind again)

If you just want the plastic bottom metal you can get it from E. Arthur Brown.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Long-Ac...l_p_16056.html

This will use the Axis style magazines with the plastic bottom and integrated plastic retention clip.

You will probably need to order the Axis magazine bottom cap from Savage to use with your existing mag box/follower as I'm not aware of any retailers carrying them (maybe try Gun Shack?). The other option is to just purchase a complete Axis magazine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    OK, if yours was molded then if I find a factory take off I won't need bottom plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    SageRat Shooter,
    Was trying to say cinch you replaced yours do you recall or still have to look at (old fingers and mind again)
    I still have one synthetic stock on my 30-06 which is about 4 years old, and it had the same stock as my 111 that I built my 260 on. The mag well housing is molded to the stock, so for you, being that you are currently "blind mag" you'll have to find a synthetic that already has the molded mag well housing (Savage synthetic specifically). Then you'll need the bottom cap for your existing mag and it should work. As the "bottom cap" has the latch on it, that keeps the DBM locked into the stock.

Basic Member
    thanks Mr. Baker I have looked at E.A. Brown's site and saw that piece, just wasn't sure if I needed it with a factory takeoff synthetic stock. I have a couple of complete 30-06 Axis mags to use if this all works.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys I'm a little slow typing so behind: I think I got it straight now. I need to find a factory DM synthetic and can use my Axis mags that I have and be OK

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    Thanks guys I'm a little slow typing so behind: I think I got it straight now. I need to find a factory DM synthetic and can use my Axis mags that I have and be OK
    You are Correct. Look for the synthetic that was made in the last 4 years to help make sure that it's one of the "molded" mag well housing. there were some older synthetics were the plastic bottom metal was removable.

Hate to hijack but, this is important for a project that I have let sit stagnant because of lack of parts. Did you buy the metal parts from savage recently? If so, do you have the part numbers. Buying parts from Savage is difficult not knowing the exact parts. Last time I called (2016) they said they did not have the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I can only give my experience with converting to a Boyds stock. I have the 111 action which was originally a DBM also, so there may be a little difference.

1. Measure your action screw spacing (center to center)
    2. look for your action specs on the Boyds site (Ex: 111 right hand bolt, top or bottom bolt release, and in your case look for DBM)

I swapped out the synthetic stock on my 111 for the Pro Varmint... I had to acquire the "Bottom metal for wood stocks" from Savage directly, as well as the magazine bottom... $150.00 or so
    Your existing blind mag should work, once you've clipped the new bottom on your magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdcguns View Post
    Hate to hijack but, this is important for a project that I have let sit stagnant because of lack of parts. Did you buy the metal parts from savage recently? If so, do you have the part numbers. Buying parts from Savage is difficult not knowing the exact parts. Last time I called (2016) they said they did not have the parts.
    I actually built my 260 Rem about 2 years ago. What I did was called Savage directly and provided them with my Serial Number off my rifle, and told them I was going to be swapping out my original OEM plastic stock with a Boyd's Laminate stock. I asked for the "Bottom metal for wood stocks" which comes in plastic or actual metal (I went actual metal including a new trigger guard). It was as easy as that in my case. The hard part was pillar bedding the stocks (have a Prairie Hunter on an Axis also).

They may have been out of parts maybe??? The Pro varmint is one of the most popular aftermarket stocks for Shooting LR, Bench, Prairie Dogging etc...