Thread: New to Savage Bolt Actions, want one to re-barrel

New to Savage Bolt Actions, want one to re-barrel

As stated above, I am new to Savage bolt action rifles. I am looking for recommendations for one to re-barrel for my daughter to use. I will be chambering it in 357AR, which is a straight wall 35 caliber wildcat round based on the 5.56 NATO case (which Winchester recently copied for their 350 Legend). She shoots this cartridge really well already in an AR platform, so I am wanting to put together a lighter weight hunting rifle for her. The AR build is 7.75 lbs complete ready to hunt, hoping to shave of a pound or so on the rifle to make the overall package lighter for her (she is under 95 lbs herself).

Ideally it will have started life as a .223 sized bolt face from the factory. Is there a particular model I should be looking for? I would prefer a detachable magazine for it, since it may be easier to modify to get the feeding of the straight wall cartridge right, but I would consider a fixed magazine style also.

Basic Member
    Get a Savage Axis in .223. That is what I'm doing for a 6.5 Grendel build (also an AR cartridge originally). They come with a detachable mag and are lightweight. Get an Axis II if you like the Accu-Trigger. Get an original Axis if you are going to replace the trigger with an aftermarket one. Both Axis versions have a two position safety.

If you want a three position safety, then get a Savage 10 or 12 in .223. You will probably pay more though than you would for an Axis unless you get one with a blind mag.

Much as I hate to say it, you'd probably be better off just buying a new Winchester XPR chambered for the .350 Legend or rework the AR with some lighter weight components to get the weight down. At $549 MSRP the street price the base model Winchester XPR should probably be around $450-475. By the time you buy a Savage donor rifle and an aftermarket barrel you'll have more than that wrapped up in it, and then you'll still have to get it to feed reliably which will be a chore. Savage's centerfeed magazine boxes have a big dimple in the sides to support the neck of the stacked rounds which is going to cause problems with a straight walled case.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Much as I hate to say it, you'd probably be better off just buying a new Winchester XPR chambered for the .350 Legend or rework the AR with some lighter weight components to get the weight down. At $549 MSRP the street price the base model Winchester XPR should probably be around $450-475. By the time you buy a Savage donor rifle and an aftermarket barrel you'll have more than that wrapped up in it, and then you'll still have to get it to feed reliably which will be a chore. Savage's centerfeed magazine boxes have a big dimple in the sides to support the neck of the stacked rounds which is going to cause problems with a straight walled case.
    Agreed. Unless of course you are just looking for a project.

If you are just looking for a project and money is not an issue you might look at a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in .223. From Savage, "The Model 11 Lightweight Hunter offers a compact, flyweight design perfect for long hauls or tight quarters, without sacrificing Savage Arms'™ hallmark accuracy and reliability. Weighing just 5.5 pounds, the short-action rifle features user-adjustable AccuTrigger™ technology for fine-tuning trigger pull. Relief cuts in the receiver, a spiral-fluted bolt, lightweight contour barrel and material removed from the fore-end keep weight to a minimum. Blending style and function, the 20-inch, carbon steel barrel is button rifled with astriking oil-finish, American walnut stock. It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts, with detachable 4-round box magazine." They are pretty pricey but I don't know your budget or if you even have a budget.

I would be more likely to rework the AR than give Winchester a dime (bastards could at least admit that they stole the idea). Already have 1000 pieces of brass for the 357AR, and several good loads worked up. MDWS is who made the 357AR barrel for my AR, they also make Savage pre-fits and can chamber it for 357AR and thread the muzzle for suppressor use. Modifying the mags shouldn't be too difficult, but if it turns out to be, I could use the CDI bottom metal and a new magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    If you are just looking for a project and money is not an issue you might look at a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in .223. From Savage, "The Model 11 Lightweight Hunter offers a compact, flyweight design perfect for long hauls or tight quarters, without sacrificing Savage Arms'™ hallmark accuracy and reliability. Weighing just 5.5 pounds, the short-action rifle features user-adjustable AccuTrigger™ technology for fine-tuning trigger pull. Relief cuts in the receiver, a spiral-fluted bolt, lightweight contour barrel and material removed from the fore-end keep weight to a minimum. Blending style and function, the 20-inch, carbon steel barrel is button rifled with astriking oil-finish, American walnut stock. It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts, with detachable 4-round box magazine." They are pretty pricey but I don't know your budget or if you even have a budget.
    That would be a nice option if I could find one for a reasonable price.

Basic Member
    I actually quite like the Winchester XPR. I have one in 308. Nice gun. They are not too customizable though. Fixed bolt face and nobody has pre-fit barrels for them. No metal trigger guards, no aftermarket mag systems (that I know of anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
    I actually quite like the Winchester XPR. I have one in 308. Nice gun. They are not too customizable though. Fixed bolt face and nobody has pre-fit barrels for them. No metal trigger guards, no aftermarket mag systems (that I know of anyways).
    Not everybody buys guns just to tear them apart and replace half the parts on them as soon as they get it home. LOL
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Not everybody buys guns just to tear them apart and replace half the parts on them as soon as they get it home. LOL
    That's true The XPR is nice. Actually better than the Ruger American in many ways. It's my "loaner" gun for hunting buddies that need a rifle.

Seams like you have said that before....Say it isn't so!!!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    They don't? ��

I love tearing new Savage rifles apart and putting my own stank on them!

That is pretty much what I plan to do.

Man I'd suggest an old flatback from the 1990s (F serial #) maybe a model 11 in a synthetic stock for a couple of reasons.
    They're an older model without all the latest features so they're not so much in demand, therefore can often be bought for a song.(maybe around $200+-)
    The sporters are relatively light and easily tuned up with the factory parts.
    Trigger is easy to tune to a very good pull, they're easy to bed
    The way the stock and butt pad attach they're easy to shorten the length of pull.
    A rattle can paint job on the stock can make a big improvement.

On the down side the old stagger feed blind mags are getting harder to find if you need an extra or mess one up and the factory detachable mag models aren't really compatible with anything.(though a conversion to aftermarket may be feasible I've just never tried it)
    Maybe I prefer them because I've tinkered on them so long and I'm comfortable with them.
    That's my .02 keep us updated whatever you decide to do.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Man I'd suggest an old flatback from the 1990s (F serial #) maybe a model 11 in a synthetic stock for a couple of reasons.
    They're an older model without all the latest features so they're not so much in demand, therefore can often be bought for a song.(maybe around $200+-)
    The sporters are relatively light and easily tuned up with the factory parts.
    Trigger is easy to tune to a very good pull, they're easy to bed
    The way the stock and butt pad attach they're easy to shorten the length of pull.
    A rattle can paint job on the stock can make a big improvement.

On the down side the old stagger feed blind mags are getting harder to find if you need an extra or mess one up and the factory detachable mag models aren't really compatible with anything.(though a conversion to aftermarket may be feasible I've just never tried it)
    Maybe I prefer them because I've tinkered on them so long and I'm comfortable with them.
    That's my .02 keep us updated whatever you decide to do.
    The lack of availability for magazine parts these days is the killer for the older staggered feeds. If you can find one already setup for .223 that's one thing, but anything else I'd pass on as you may spend a year or more trying to track down a mag box and follower for a blind mag, and staggered feed detachable mag parts are all but unobtanium these days.

Basic Member
    Ok, I'm going to ask another stupid question. I keep reading about people re-barreling their rifles and switching calibers. When you do that, do you not also have to change the bolt, because it seems like you would so the extractors, etc. would line up???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post
    Ok, I'm going to ask another stupid question. I keep reading about people re-barreling their rifles and switching calibers. When you do that, do you not also have to change the bolt, because it seems like you would so the extractors, etc. would line up???
    That all depends on what the caliber was originally and what you want to turn it into. If both calibers use the same bolt face, such as the .308 and the .243, then there is no issue. You set the head space while you install the barrel, and the bolt head stays the same. If they do not use the same bolt face, then you need to change the bolt head as well. Fortunately, this is super easy on a Savage.

Putting the project on hold for the time being. Thank you all for your suggestions. Had a different more expensive project land in my lap.