Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something has to change

Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    Could this be a algorithm issue? IE Google is not directing people to this site?

Do you allow political discussions?
    No clue on the algorithm, but it's a possibility considering the number of notification emails I have received from GoogleAds informing me that pages we had their ads on were found to be in violation of their terms due to containing "controvercial content" (meaning anything gun related).

As for political discussions, no we don't. We tried allowing it a time or two in the past but each time (as expected) it went south quick as political opinions different and tempers flared.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    No clue on the algorithm, but it's a possibility considering the number of notification emails I have received from GoogleAds informing me that pages we had their ads on were found to be in violation of their terms due to containing "controvercial content" (meaning anything gun related).

As for political discussions, no we don't. We tried allowing it a time or two in the past but each time (as expected) it went south quick as political opinions different and tempers flared.
    I use Tapatalk, does that effect your clicks etc?

Basic Member
    I would also like to know about Tapatalk, I keep 3 pages up all the time on my laptop this being one of them. I can be sitting beside my laptop and will check Tapatalk on my phone because it is a little easier, may be I'm just being a little lazy. I know it is a lot of work and time involved in running this site and I thank you Jim Baker for your fine effort. I would be glad to help any way I can but as a aging hunter and tinkerer I am past my best days and not as fast as I used to be. I'll help if I can. THANKS again Jim

Team Savage
    I joined this site shortly after purchasing my first Savage, a BVSS. I was new to target shooting but my friend/neighbor convinced me I needed go shooting with him and learn to reload. Much money was spent and of course, I was starting fresh.

One of the early impressions I had of this site was that certain members seems to think it was their site, that they were the experts and nobody else's opinion mattered. But again, this was MY impression, not saying it as a fact. But it did cause me to sit on the sidelines more fearing i'd be flamed for my posts. And perhaps they deserved flaming because I had little experience to share and was sharing what I'd read. But I was on this site at least 4 hours a day learning as much and as fast as I could. That's me, all in or nothing.

One of the features on another site I visit is the ability to "like" a post, with notification going to the poster. This allows members to give positive feedback, something sorely missing in today's digital age. This helps build friendships and connections that help further the learning. I really enjoy the feature as it promotes off line communication too.

Most of my buying and selling has been done on this site, even though the other site is much more active and the market much broader. For instance, an ad I place on that site becomes buried three pages down in one day. That used to be the case here in the past too.

I too am well aware of the downturn in traffic. You've eliminated many pages over the past few years, probably to cut costs, but this has the effect of driving down discussion. I also suggest to new members to buy an upgraded membership, something I think we all should do, to gain better access to the tools and markets available. Without those dollars to fund a website expansion, we're left with a static forum. That doesn't help either.

In the end, its the people the site attracts that make it what it is. Another site I don't frequent much anymore has become very toxic with brash, narrow minded and insulting individuals. I would imagine that for the administrators of any website, overseeing and managing that type of behavior is a time consuming and mentally draining job. You couldn't pay me to do it. But if it's not done, members will flee.

This site is IMOP the gold standard for Savage information, and I use it as such, and promote its name on other sites when someone asks about a Savage. But if I google a question regarding a Savage firearm, I rarely get a link to this site, so there may be something to algorithm question.

Lastly, as I finished writing this and hit the post button, my log on timed out and the post was not uploaded. I had to copy my post, log out, log back in, and then try to find where the heck I was to paste it in again. For my increasingly feeble mind, this is becoming a major PITA.

I don't know if any of this was helpful, but please know it's intended to be that way.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. Never forget what Wall Street did in 2008.

Basic Member
    I'll help in any way I can. It's the least I can do to repay for the valuable information the members of this forum have provided.

Between my pops and me, we've got a load of Savage rifles, so maybe I should write some short articles about tinkering and load data.

Alternatively, I'm pretty good at editing other people's writing. If you ever need someone to proof an article, I'd be happy to help.

If I had more disposable income I'd be neck deep in Savage builds. I'd love to build a Savage rifle dedicated to PRS style shooting. I've got an idea to try to make a Savage rifle as lightweight as possible. If I ever pursue these projects I'll definitely document the process. Unfortunately, right now, if I make either of these rifles a reality my wife will use one of them on me.

Lastly, I'm not sure if I'd ever qualify to be a moderator. I can't promise the time it takes to be an effective moderator.

On a positive note, so long as you keep this forum alive I will be here. My Savage rifles sure aren't going anywhere and I'm not done breaking pieces and parts on these rifles.

Basic Member
    I am not very computer savvy, but being retired and a long time reloader and shooter I would like to help out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12