Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyds AT One Thumbhole on a Model 12 FV

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    Just an update on my Model 12 FV feed from magazine issue. I called Savage, they had no problem sending me a magazine box, z spring and L bracket. Got that and then I decided to see what I could find out.
    To update the issue, if I loaded rounds in the magazine ( this is a 223 ), as I started to slide the bolt forward, the round would come up out of the mag so fast that the base half of the case would be above the bolt, thus jamming and making a mell of a hess. It did this in both the factory and Boyd stock. I did relieve a bit of wood in the boyd to see if that helped any, no it did not. I made darn sure everything was seated well and properly, compared the 2 magazines, etc., nothing seemed to work. So I started looking at the z spring, what if I could decrease the amount of "spring"? I got my vice grips and turned them down just a bit smaller than where the metal made a turn on the Z, and crimped this down, then I did it one a second turn, reassembled and tested. It Worked! I have fed 56 rounds so far and have not had 1 failure.

So, if any one else has that issue, you might look at that Z spring and compress, thus lightening the tension, just do a little at a time, but it worked for me.

Thanks and shoot well..
    Glad that worked out for you,
    The last time I tried to manipulate one of those Z shaped magazine springs it snapped. I do know that the spring steel is brittle and doesn't always take kindly to bending especially in the existing bends where it bends back on itself.
    Sounds like either you pulled a rabbit out of a hat or I need some spring bending lessons and maybe a different pair of pliers :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Yes I suspected it was, I was pretty gentle with it. Don't know if a heat treat would work on not either. I do know its pain..

I would recommend, if you are having this issue and the gun is new, trying to have Savage send you a replacement set of parts, Magazine, z spring and L bracket, before attempting..and again very gentle with
    it.

Looks good!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Received the walnut At1 thumbhole today, had to relieve some material so the trigger gaurd would fit. The front of the slot was so shallow that I had to grind down to the action screw hole and flush the front of the trigger gaurd. Some slightly off fitting around the front plastic panel but hey for the price I'm ok with it. Anyway a picture.

Basic Member
    Looks nice, what optics are you using? I would you describe then, when it comes to function and clarity?
    Run until your heart bursts

I'm using a nikon prostaff 4.5-18 × 40 ffp. Glass is good for around 400$ scope I haven't gotten out much farther than 600 yards yet. The bdc reticule isn't quite what I needed but my other scopes have it. I set this up for plinking as close to the way my 300 win mag hunting rifle is as far as optics go so the view is the same. I should have it out Saturday and will start a new thread on how it works for me.

Basic Member
    I am looking forward to your review. I have a straight 18 power Nikon that I like but it is 20 years old so don't know if it is fair to judge todays optics by what they did 20 years ago. I am leaning towards another, but figured for the under the $500 mark I might not be able to get decent optics in a variable power. I guess 4 to 18 or 4 to 20 would be nice. My older Nikon scope is just fine crosshairs so I have to decide what I want as far as the many options out there for what I buy next.
    Run until your heart bursts

Years ago I looked through a bunch of scopes and found the clarity of Bushnell scopes were better for me then the Nikon. When I decided to get back into rifle hunting a couple years ago there's no comparison now I like the Nikon. I think Baush n Lomb used to make the glass for Bushnell back then even in the cheaper scopes. I put Buckmaster 4x12 on a couple guns and then went to the Prostaff for the 12fv, changed to the Prostaff on my 300 win. They come with short and tall turrets. Nikon has been really upping they're game and I feel that price/value is excellent. Hope this helps, guess you're just going to have to go somewhere you can peek through a variety of scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    I am looking forward to your review. I have a straight 18 power Nikon that I like but it is 20 years old so don't know if it is fair to judge todays optics by what they did 20 years ago. I am leaning towards another, but figured for the under the $500 mark I might not be able to get decent optics in a variable power. I guess 4 to 18 or 4 to 20 would be nice. My older Nikon scope is just fine crosshairs so I have to decide what I want as far as the many options out there for what I buy next.
    Plenty of good variable power optics out there in the $300-500 range, just depends on what bells and whistles you want and how much magnification you need. Getting real hard to find fixed power scopes these days.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12