Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyds AT One Thumbhole on a Model 12 FV

Basic Member

Boyds AT One Thumbhole on a Model 12 FV

I recently purchased a Model 12 FV 223 and love the gun, and was even fairly happy with the original stock, but decided to try one of the Boyds AT One Thumbhole and see if it helped.

I ordered on a Monday and it was delivered on the following Friday, great service and I really liked the looks. Of course I had to immediately get it mounted so I preceded to do so.

It was a pretty simple process, I did have to relieve some of the wood to get the trigger guard to fit but that was not too bad, had 1 instance when the Dremel got away from me but it is what it is. Took it to the range Saturday morning and was very happy with the results. No bedding or anything and honestly had 2 groups right at .5 from factory 55gr HP loads!

Dang that thing is awesome, looks good, got it adjusted so it was comfortable, helped to balance the rifle out some and it seems to be working. Don't know that I will bed it, will wait and see. Barrel is free floated all the way back.

The only issue I have is if I load the magazine ( blind ) the shell will pop way out of the mag as I slide the bolt forward to load, the back of it is way up and it will jam. From what I understand if I tweak the mag side rails some that should help this issue? If anyone else has experienced this and fixed it, please let me know.

Otherwise I am extremely happy with the whole setup. Cant say enough about the stock definitely like it and the service I got from boyds, the gun is a shooter.

Thanks in advance, hope I helped someone and again any help on the mag issue would be appreciated.

Shoot well..

Pics or it didnt happen lol. I'm intrested in how the setup looks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

interested in pic's as well. my 12 FV 6.5 needs a new home to sit in.

Bedding will be an improvement worth doing.

Did the magazine box exhibit the same feeding issue in the factory stock? If not, it's not a magazine issue - it's a stock issue so don't mess with the feed lips.

Now for clarification, is this a center feed or staggered feed 12FV? In other words, is the mag box attached to the action or does it stay in the stock when you pulled the barreled action? I'm going to assume it's a center feed for now...

In my experience with Boyds stocks for centerfeed blind mags their inlet for the mag box is a little short front-to-rear making it a very tight fit for the mag box and L-hanger. This tight fit can compress and distort the box (bowing the sides out) which could be what's causing the feeding issue now. Typically the rear of the mag box inlet has a bit of a hump in the center compared to the corners and you can just use your dremel with a sanding drum or course grinding bit to knock it down a little for a more tailored fit.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    it did it with the original stock as well, although maybe not quite as bad. Yes you are correct it is a center feed. The mag box was tight in the boyds stock, perhaps I will try taking just a bit out, I may try the narrowing the list a bit as well. I suspect a little will go along way.

Thank you for the reply. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post a pic of the rifle with the new stock.

To post photo's you will need to upload them to a hosting site like PhotoBucket or Flikr first, then copy the link they provide to embed it in your post here.

Or if you become a paying member here you can embed your photos right from your computer.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Try this..

Group post Boyd Stock upgrade.

Basic Member
    Sorry for the big obnoxious photo..still learning that trick. Pretty sure I will soon become a paid subscriber, Site is well worth the money.

Anyway, I will try and get a pic of the rifle for you.

And to you real shooters those groups probably aint nothing, but I am working on them. I really think the gun and setup can do better, I just have to work on
    my shooting skills, settle down and get steady, used to the trigger, etc.., and we are going to work on some handloads, but at any rate, there will be some
    hurting praire dogs come spring...

Thanks for your patience..shoot well..

R

No worries on the photo size.

As for the groups, good groups come with time and familiarity with the weapon. My first few groups with most any new rifle I buy or get in for review usually print around 1.5 to 2" if I jump on the gun cold (meaning not shooting anything else first to settle myself down). Once I get myself settled in and get a little more acquainted with that particular gun the groups start to tighten up.

Basic Member Desert Tactical Nimrod's Avatar
    I can't find the At One Thumbhole on Boyd's website. What am I missing? I see the standard At One but no option for the Thumhole. Can some direct me?

Basic Member

Looks to weigh a bunch, but nice looking for bench shooting.

Basic Member
    at the opening page, https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/, at the top is the BUILD and PRICE, select your Mfg, Model and Action hit go, you will see a section called SHAPE, those are the shapes that are available for that Mfg, Model and Action, select the one you want and it changes as you make your selections.

Basic Member
    I believe the stock was 3 lbs. It actually helped balance it out, but no it is NOT lightweight, but its like shooting a 22.. I see the 204 Ruger caliber is on sale at 329, if the 6.5 creedmore goes on sale, one is coming home...

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    at the opening page, https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/, at the top is the BUILD and PRICE, select your Mfg, Model and Action hit go, you will see a section called SHAPE, those are the shapes that are available for that Mfg, Model and Action, select the one you want and it changes as you make your selections.
    I see all that. Been to their site many times now. I see the At One shape but no option for the thumbhole! Again... what am I missing?

Basic Member
    I don't know, the only thing I can think of is maybe they don't offer the AT One Thumbhole for your model of rifle?

Basic Member
    Mr. Baker,

Should the magazine be able to move side to side? seems like it does a little too easy. I called Savage, CS is going to send me a new magazine, at least I will have a backup if things go awry.

I fiddled with it some last night thought I made some progress with the lips but its still doing it.

I don't know, the only thing I can think of is maybe they don't offer the AT One Thumbhole for your model of rifle?
    That's was a thought I had also.

Mr. Baker,

Should the magazine be able to move side to side? seems like it does a little too easy. I called Savage, CS is going to send me a new magazine, at least I will have a backup if things go awry.

I fiddled with it some last night thought I made some progress with the lips but its still doing it.
    A tiny bit of play isn't unusual, but if it's more than that you can just shim it with some paper or ?? to keep it centered. With no ammo in the mag there's no tension on the box so it may move a bit.

I'm just picked up a Thumbhole AT-ONE for my Savage Model 12 FCV. It required some light dremel work and sanding to get it functioning but it was well worth it.

Looks good. Nice groups too.

I ordered one for my 6.5 in walnut. I'll post some pics when I get it and mounted.

I did find out that Boyds doesn't yet offer the At One with thumb hole for the savage short actions yet.

Basic Member
    Sweet! I sure like mine so far! I got it on the model 12 FV 223.

so the 12 FCV that has the drop magazine? Mine has the blind mag, I wish it did have the drop mag.

Basic Member
    Just an update on my Model 12 FV feed from magazine issue. I called Savage, they had no problem sending me a magazine box, z spring and L bracket. Got that and then I decided to see what I could find out.
    To update the issue, if I loaded rounds in the magazine ( this is a 223 ), as I started to slide the bolt forward, the round would come up out of the mag so fast that the base half of the case would be above the bolt, thus jamming and making a mell of a hess. It did this in both the factory and Boyd stock. I did relieve a bit of wood in the boyd to see if that helped any, no it did not. I made darn sure everything was seated well and properly, compared the 2 magazines, etc., nothing seemed to work. So I started looking at the z spring, what if I could decrease the amount of "spring"? I got my vice grips and turned them down just a bit smaller than where the metal made a turn on the Z, and crimped this down, then I did it one a second turn, reassembled and tested. It Worked! I have fed 56 rounds so far and have not had 1 failure.

So, if any one else has that issue, you might look at that Z spring and compress, thus lightening the tension, just do a little at a time, but it worked for me.

Thanks and shoot well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast