Thread: Building a 224 Valkyrie on a model 10 receiver

Basic Member

Building a 224 Valkyrie on a model 10 receiver

This question is for folks who have actually built or are building a 224 Valkyrie on a model 10 action.

I do NOT want posts from people that say it's a waste of time,there are better options, "this caliber is better ", etc because I don't CARE about your opinions-I'd love to hear from builders who've actually done it. I have a Valkyrie AR with a Criterion barrel that I built that shoots .5 MOA and I want a bolt gun to go with it.

IF I get some responses from actual builders I'll get into my detailed questions and thanks for any building related replies!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
    This question is for folks who have actually built or are building a 224 Valkyrie on a model 10 action.
    Was there a question in there, somewhere?

Basic Member
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...d-for-Valkyrie

It's an awesome shooter. I love it.

Basic Member
    OK, here are some questions....

I'm a Lefty so I'm going to pick up a left hand model ten, factory trued action in .308 (because that's all they have in left hand) from Northland Shooters as well as a Criterion 24" 1/6.5 twist barrel. I'll need a 6.8 bolt head and I see that Pacific has them BUT Eabco will do the install, parts included for like 70 dollars. Does anyone have any experience with the Eabco bolt head and install?

Next question is magazines-what are you using and where did you find them? My chassis uses AICS mags.

Thanks for the replys!

P.S. Awesome rifle you built!!!

Basic Member
    As I read it, $75 is for bolthead swap and installation of a Shaw barrel- not one you send them (CBI).
    By the time you pay shipping, you could probably get a PTG bolthead and take it to a local smith for not much more $, and have it done in a few days (or same day if you get lucky). Less than an hour to swap a bolthead and screw on a barrel.

Same work for a smith as a simple barrel swap, since the bolt needs to be stripped anyway...

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Bolt-Fa...O_p_14318.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    As I read it, $75 is for bolthead swap and installation of a Shaw barrel- not one you send them (CBI).
    By the time you pay shipping, you could probably get a PTG bolthead and take it to a local smith for not much more $, and have it done in a few days (or same day if you get lucky). Less than an hour to swap a bolthead and screw on a barrel.

Same work for a smith as a simple barrel swap, since the bolt needs to be stripped anyway...

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Bolt-Fa...O_p_14318.html
    I've built 4 rifles using Rem actions and "Remage" barrels so barrel install is no issue. The bolt head is different but I'm assuming that lapping the lugs (which was done on all of the actions) is the same procedure with a Savage bolt head as it is a Remington bolt?

Basic Member
    I own a Savage .223 bolt gun but have never built one, just changed trigger, bolt shroud, bolt handle, firing pin and spring-what is the bolt alignment cut that Pacific mentions?

Basic Member
    It's a cut for older savage bolt bodies. You shouldn't have to worry about it with a new rifle. It won't matter if it has it and you can use it in either bolt body.

I wouldn't worry about lapping lugs with a PTG bolt head due to how they are machined, but to each their own.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2018/10/...ing-the-build/

That link is a blog from a fella that built an AR 15 and R700 in 224 Valkyrie, very good read, I'm a bit jealous of his abilities.

And just go with a 22-250. sorry couldn't resist. Best of luck with your build, it should be fun with that little case.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hi. Just joined this site to comment on this thread. Last year I got the Savage bolt action 224V bug. I ordered a 3 grove, 28 inch, PacNor. It arived on Christmas eve, earlier than I expected. UPS said they left it at the door. The next morning I found it out by the highway wraped in plastic. Anyway I took rifle and bolt face, and a new lock nut and put it in the shop. Just got it back week before last. It is awsome. Groups at 258 yards pretty constant at .5 to .6 MOA. If your interested in building Valkyie bolt action definitely just do it. I used a Savage benchrest I got in a trade. And the bolt face came from pacific tool. I also got it glass bedded while in the shop. The bolt face also had to be machined. All labor charges ran around $260.