Thread: Savage Model 11 Left Hand 22-250

Thumbs Up Savage Model 11 Left Hand 22-250

Hey Everyone, This is my first post.

I've had a few savage rifles over the years and have grown to love them all. I bought a left handed, model 11 in a 22-250 because i got a good ( And i'm left eye dominate). Originally, i threw a bushnell banner on top, cheap weaver base and rings, grabbed some Hornady Factory loads and called it good. This inexpensive, impulse buy, turned out to be a true tack driver. Now i've found a few handloads that literally leave nothing to be desired and i am stuck. I've upgraded the trigger and have it dialed in around 2 lbs, 2 ounces. I've bought a new scope, mounted it in Warne Base and Vortex rings and have dialed my handloads in to be exclusive to this rifle. The gun shoots lights out, but for the life of me, i can't figure out a few things,
    What is the factory twist on my barrel?
    Id like to upgrade stocks, but am not sure what my best bet is as a lefty, as well as having a stock, thin walled barrel. I do not have a magazine or a bottom drop out area on this gun. would this be a short or long action?

The main point of me upgrading stocks, is having a higher Comb. is there an add on pad or rubber adjustment in the aftermarket world i'm not finding?

Thanks.

TB.

Welcome, 22-250 is a flat effective calibre.

22-250 is short action. Model 11 are short, 111 long, (12/112, 14/114 etc)
    Yours sounds to be a blind (internal) mag, but blind mag vs detachable does not determine action length, calibre does.eg 243, 308, 223 etc are all SA

If you call Savage with your SN they can tell you the twist rate, assuming original barrel still on the gun.

As for comb height, there are aftermarket options for raising your comb, such as Beartooth, Voodoo tactical and others. The Savage adjustable riser on purpose built synthetic stocks is basically two carriage bolts and a foldover plastic cheekrest that is slotted to allow vertical adjustment. Mathews makes an aftermarket version similar

If the barrel is stamped Model 11 then it's most likely a 1-12" twist. Savage made 22-250's in 1-14" twist up through 1993, after that they were 1-12" (1999 catalog says 1-14" twist, but I have a feeling that was a typo). Two-digit model numbers didn't come into being until 1998.

You can determine year of production by using the chart in the stickied thread in the Date My Savage board down in the Vintage section.

As for a stock, you need to determine what you have before we can really recommend anything. Measure the action screw spacing center to center as that's the best and easiest indicator.

If you just want a cheek riser, check out the TacOps Cheek Pads or the Karsten Cheek Rest. I have both on different rifles and prefer the TacOps pad as it doesn't require drilling the stock and the adjustment range is infinite by just adding/removing layers of 1/8" foam padding (from Hobby Lobby) between it and the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for the help. I apologize as i've been traveling for work and have not been able to respond to this post.I believe i do have a Blind Mag and have attached a link to some pictures for reference. Also, i took a measurement of my action bolts (Roughly 4.400" center to center) as i see this being asked a lot regarding a stock replacements. Any Recommendations on replacement stocks?

** Edit, i'm new to the forum and had some issues with posting pictures, here is a link to the pictures,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fa2m3jn0m...0sBhuxP5a?dl=0

Just an update to this project, now that i have the trigger cleaned up, budget friendly optic setup and am looking at stocks i have also thought about re-barreling to a 260 Rem. What is everybody's take on this? Obviously this is not a blue printed, bench rest top shelf project but having a Left Handed 260 Remington to use as an all around toy has it's appeal to me. This would simply be a Range toy, paper puncher, occasional varmint/Coyote, reloading project gun with no real intentions of shooting any sort of competition. Is this really as simple as replacing a barrel and barrel nut and setting it with Go/No Go Gauges? I will make a separate post with specific questions if i decide to move forward, but i wanted to get everyone's opinions before pursuing further? is a Savage model 11 Action worth toying with?

Picture Update;

I am assuming this would be approximately a 20" Barrel? Not sure how Savage measures them.

22 inch barrel as the breech of the barrel threads into the action about 3/4".

What you have is a modern short-action centerfeed (4.40" screw spacing) rifle with top bolt release and blind mag. Action will accept any small-shank factory or pre-fit aftermarket barrel.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tbouma89 View Post
    Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for the help. I apologize as i've been traveling for work and have not been able to respond to this post.I believe i do have a Blind Mag and have attached a link to some pictures for reference. Also, i took a measurement of my action bolts (Roughly 4.400" center to center) as i see this being asked a lot regarding a stock replacements. Any Recommendations on replacement stocks?

** Edit, i'm new to the forum and had some issues with posting pictures, here is a link to the pictures,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fa2m3jn0m...0sBhuxP5a?dl=0

Just an update to this project, now that i have the trigger cleaned up, budget friendly optic setup and am looking at stocks i have also thought about re-barreling to a 260 Rem. What is everybody's take on this? Obviously this is not a blue printed, bench rest top shelf project but having a Left Handed 260 Remington to use as an all around toy has it's appeal to me. This would simply be a Range toy, paper puncher, occasional varmint/Coyote, reloading project gun with no real intentions of shooting any sort of competition. Is this really as simple as replacing a barrel and barrel nut and setting it with Go/No Go Gauges? I will make a separate post with specific questions if i decide to move forward, but i wanted to get everyone's opinions before pursuing further? is a Savage model 11 Action worth toying with?
    I built my 260 Remington off of the 111 action (wanted to make sure I had plenty of room to feed the long skinny pills from the magazine). I put a CBI Varmint barrel (25") on mine and it shoots better than I can... .5 MOA is about my best group size. I did put an aftermarket Boyds Pro Varmint stock on it too. It really is as easy as swapping out the barrel and setting headspace ( I used both the GO and NOGO gauges to set mine). I also built mine for the same reasons you did. Long range steel (1000 yards), Coyote & prairie dogging, etc... It's my favorite rifle by far now... I'm seriously considering picking up a Swagger Bipod to use in the field for Coyote hunting this spring. It sure seems to really be geared towards Coyote hunting and the reviews I've read and Coyote hunting videos on you tube I've watched, it's a darn nice setup. Guys are shooting coyotes from 400 yards with 22-250s, 6mm XC, etc...

Basic Member
    That's one of the finer Savages you've got there,IMOP. Polished blue AND left handed in a walnut stock. Not that many floating around and they quit doing the polish work so all the newer ones are dull black. Not nearly as well made either. I'm guessing yours is a Model 11 BGL, but all you have to do is call Savage Customer service and give them your serial number and they'll tell you exactly what model it was when it left the factory and year made.

You can buy a new lefty lady hunter fairly cheap, or get one in a local pawn shop if you want to do a custom build. Personally I would not chop up what you have. If you watch the for sale boards here, you will find the occasional left handed action for sale. Good starting point.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.