Murphy showed up at Mass one Sunday and the priest almost fell over with joy, as Murphy hadn’t been to church in years, and had been known to be living in sin.

Enthused with Murphy's presence, Father delivered an impassioned sermon on the Ten Commandments. After Mass, Father caught up with Murphy at the church door. “Murphy, I am so glad ya decided to come to Mass, what brought ya?”

Murphy said, “To be honest Father, a while back, I lost me hat and I really, really love that hat. I know that Kelley had a hat just like it, and I knew that Kelley came to church every Sunday. I figured I would sneak to the coat check and steal his hat."

Father said, "Well, Murphy, I notice ya didn't steal Kelley's hat. What changed your mind?"

Murphy said, “Well, after I heard your sermon on the Ten Commandments, I decided not to steal Kelley's hat after all.”

The priest gave Murphy a big smile and said; “After I spoke about the seventh commandment, Thou Shalt Not Steal, you decided not to steal Kelley's hat?”

Murphy shook his head and said, “No, Father. It was when you got to the sixth commandment, Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery.”
“I remembered where I left my hat.”