Thread: 110 storm scope question

110 storm scope question

I recently purchased a 110 storm 30-06. I am not experienced in scopes. I am looking for a scope and mount recommendation that wont break the bank. The gun will be used mainy for black bear hunting over bait in maine. Thanks in advance

Team Savage
    First thing you have to decide is what "break the bank" means. Like most optics, there is a model for every budget, and typically, you get what you pay for. So, decide on a hard number for your scope budget, then look in that class for the features you want. That will really narrow it down from thousands to probably less than a dozen.

Personally, I like lower powered scopes than most folks, because they bring in more light and honestly, because people just think they need more power than they really do. For hunting bears over bait, I'd get a 1.5-4x20 Leupold or just a good fixed 4x.

I have gone the "cheap" route in scopes most of my life, then finally learned why so many people are so high on Leupold scopes. They really are the best overall value for the money. Took me about 30 years and 100 scopes to learn this. I'm kind of slow sometimes. LOL

Basic Member
    I agree with NewtoSavage. You have to decide what features you want and go from there.

As mentioned, you don't need a high power scope to hunt over bait. However, a 30'06 has an effective range near 500 yards if you wanted to use it that far. I say that because you may find that you use the 30'06 for more than just bear hunting in the future. A 1 to 4 power scope or a fixed 4 power scope is plenty for hunting over bait. If you hunt anything else you'll want a bit more power. Something more like a 2 to 7 or a 1 to 8 power scope is what I would want.

Lastly, I second a good Leupold scope as a hunting scope. Vortex is popular these days, but I won't own any more Vortex optics. Vortex has a great warranty, because you'll have to use that warranty.

Team Savage
    Leupold VX Freedom or used VX-2 with 2-7 power. Lifetime Warannty. Good glass. Good in low light conditions. Hold their value if you decide to sell.

For your intended use I would stick with a 1-4x or 1.5-6x as far as magnification goes. You want that minimal magnification for close in hunting because you need the wider field of view when hunting shorter distances. 4x and 6x on the high end is still plenty enough magnification for taking deer size game out to 400-500 yards.

Like NewtoSavage noted, most folks buy way more scope than they actually need - mostly because they want the extra magnification for punching paper at the range.

As for scopes to look at that won't break the bank, these would be my top contenders:

Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm

Primary Arms Gen III 1-6x24mm w/K.I.S.S. reticle
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for the responses guys. I think im going to go with the leupold vx freedom

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The only thing I don't understand is why Leupold doesn't offer a quick/fast focus eye piece on this level of scopes. That is a big issue for me now that I am older. I have to switch from contacts to glasses and back. Contacts are my best shooting option. Heck, even different colored shooting/safety glasses change the focus for me. The Leupold has it locked down with a ring and is stiff to move even after you back off the lock ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The only thing I don't understand is why Leupold doesn't offer a quick/fast focus eye piece on this level of scopes. That is a big issue for me now that I am older. I have to switch from contacts to glasses and back. Contacts are my best shooting option. Heck, even different colored shooting/safety glasses change the focus for me. The Leupold has it locked down with a ring and is stiff to move even after you back off the lock ring.
    Ummm.....they do. The difference is the Leupold's have the whole ocular bell as the fast focus rather than just a small ring at the very back. I actually prefer this because 1) it's easier to grab hold of to turn, and 2) technically I don't have to pull off my flip-up cap to adjust it - though I would have to re-orientate it after getting it adjusted. As for the stiffness, usually it's only stiff when turned all the way in. Once you adjust it out a half turn or so there's a lot less resistance.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Ummm.....they do. The difference is the Leupold's have the whole ocular bell as the fast focus rather than just a small ring at the very back. I actually prefer this because 1) it's easier to grab hold of to turn, and 2) technically I don't have to pull off my flip-up cap to adjust it - though I would have to re-orientate it after getting it adjusted. As for the stiffness, usually it's only stiff when turned all the way in. Once you adjust it out a half turn or so there's a lot less resistance.
    10-4, noted.