Thread: rebarrel question

Basic Member

rebarrel question

what do you guys do when you replace a barrel on a different action and then the barrel info is off center?

Basic Member
    I have had those same thoughts, have not come up with good answer yet. Have just let mine go as long as I can see caliber, if one ends up hidden then I’ll find some way to mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The information on Savage 110 series barrels is stamped AFTER the barrel is put on the action. After putting the/any barrel on another action, the information/stamping may be ANYWHERE in relation to an action characteristic. This because the action threads are NOT located-the start-on any action characteristic. Nothing to worry about.

Shoot it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I would only worry about it for resale purposes. If I was to sell it there are a couple of things that could be done.
    1) Check for allowable headspace at desired position. Adjust and reset only if it meets go & no-go gauges.
    2) try above with different bolt head.
    3) run chamber in a deeper and set breech end back as required.

Even resale value may not be affected and then leaving it at its best headspace setting is the best practice.

Basic Member
    For me misalignment isn’t a problem as long as I can read the caliber. When it would matter is if I can’t see caliber and grab the wrong ammo, of course only us old and half blind and half awake hunters would do that. Usually I’m the only user of my rifles so not a problem, just wonder how to mark just in case.

I've been considering getting into the barrel swap hobby. This would drive me crazy.

Basic Member
    All of mine have been pretty close, just not like from factory. Maybe a line or 2 off either way.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by bronco2 View Post
    what do you guys do when you replace a barrel on a different action and then the barrel info is off center?
    I shoot it. That's what I do. :D

The most recent build I did has an Axis 7mm-08 barrel on a model 10 receiver. The script lines up at dead 12 O'clock. Almost like it was meant to be there. Reminds me of some old Winchester rifles and honestly, I think it's kinda cool and unique.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    For me misalignment isn’t a problem as long as I can read the caliber. When it would matter is if I can’t see caliber and grab the wrong ammo, of course only us old and half blind and half awake hunters would do that. Usually I’m the only user of my rifles so not a problem, just wonder how to mark just in case.

I've only had this happen one time. I put an Axis .308 barrel on a model 10 action, and the barrel marks were hidden under the stock. Didn't bother me at all. It made for a very clean look actually. If I had planned to keep that rifle that way, I would have taken a stamp and put ".308" on the barrel where it could be seen. Not hard to do.

Basic Member
    Have never paid much attention to the rollmark. My curiosity made me open the safe only four with factory take offs in there right now. One very close maybe a smidge tightened "in". Second one on very top. Third 180 out "upside down" on right side. Fourth can't see it at all.
    Grandkids have at least 5 more that have been swapped I would imagine they are just as random.
    All my other savage/stevens all have aftermarket barrels with no roll mark. The ones that I chamber myself are just etched on the breech end for caliber designation. Other after market are either stamped or etched also on the breech end. Obviously you can't read those calibers without practically removing the barrel.
    Someone out there probably has an ingenious way of simply remarking a barrel for those who may have trouble identifying which one it is.

Basic Member
    One Remington 700 that I rechambered to an AI ended up still visible after re-headspacing. I simply ground a flat spot with the dremmel after the caliber and neatly etched in the A.I.
    It was my rifle but didn't want that one mistaken in the case I was no longer on this earth.
    A little dab of cold blue & it wasn't perfect but hardly noticeable.

Basic Member
    I have 3 right now and marking is visible on all three but a little off. I have a 13 year old grandson and don’t want him to use wrong stuff together.

Basic Member
    Wayne,
    I'm in the same boat with the grandkids. Actually just made a "recall" with one of the boys. The one grandson uses a 260 and the other a 257 Bob AI. The 257 AI is becoming a real pain for me to "form" brass and reload for him 120 miles away. I have broke in another factory take off 260 for him on another action and it ended up shooting basically the same load as the other grandsons 260. I am going to swap out the 257 for the 260 and both boys will be shooting the same exact ammo ( much easier for gramps). They also can buy "store bought" ammo if the day comes when I'm no longer here.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Wayne,
    I'm in the same boat with the grandkids. Actually just made a "recall" with one of the boys. The one grandson uses a 260 and the other a 257 Bob AI. The 257 AI is becoming a real pain for me to "form" brass and reload for him 120 miles away. I have broke in another factory take off 260 for him on another action and it ended up shooting basically the same load as the other grandsons 260. I am going to swap out the 257 for the 260 and both boys will be shooting the same exact ammo ( much easier for gramps). They also can buy "store bought" ammo if the day comes when I'm no longer here.
    That is a good Grandpa right there Sir.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    I have 3 right now and marking is visible on all three but a little off. I have a 13 year old grandson and don’t want him to use wrong stuff together.

This.

If I ever build one where the barrel marks are not visible, then I will mark it myself because you just never know who might use it someday. No sense having a 3rd generation "Darwin" moment.

Basic Member
    the first one i did came to be perfect. the second a 22-250 was off about 12 oclock. and the last one was a take off 270 and put a 30-06 barrel on. it was almost right about 7 oclock off. so i turn it back to where i could see it. may shoot it and see what kind of case issue i have or if any

Every. Single.One.....that I have done has ended up at the 6 o'clock buried in the stock. It drives me crazy and makes my brain itch inside! I am going to ask around and see if there are any firearms friendly jewelers around here and get them marked. In the meantime I have printed some horrid looking labels and stuck them on the barrels to prevent an accident.

Basic Member
    Have them laser engraved....

I remove all my bolts and store them in Crown Royal bags with serial number of action and caliber written on an iron on patch on the bag..... I then store them away from my rifles.
    I'm very anal about doing this when I re-barrel any action!
    Usually you can peal an old patch off and iron on a new one with all the information if you re-barrel the action again. Them bags are cheap!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!