Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping cost

Shipping cost

I have to send a rifle back to Savage on my dime. I just went through the UPS online and it came to $48, seems pretty expensive. What should I normally expect, or any tricks? Sending from Iowa. Local gun dealer didnt want to touch it as then they would have to do paperwork.

TIA

Basic Member
    You can send it USPS much cheaper. They do ship long guns, so don't let the counter clerk tell you otherwise.
    However if it's a warranty claim, Savage should have sent you a shipping label.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I believe UPS charges by "zones". I would stick with UPS for the equivalent of the added cost of a few beers. I am in NY so my shipping to Massachusetts is much less. I have shipped to Savage a few times. Return was always on them. Be absolutely sure (by telephone) that they return ship per your written instructions. TWICE they shipped back to my office (not cool in a very large NE metropolis) instead of the UPS or Fed Ex center as instructed ( I forget which one).

Texas10- IIRC they will not classify it as warranty work until they analyze the problem and acknowledge responsibility. They are, however, very accommodating with allowing free, no charge, customer caused work (i.e. bent and buggered sleeve in a bolt clearly caused by my personal lack of ept) on their dime.

This rifle (12FV 308) is just out of warranty. When I finally put a scope on it and out to the range it shoots 1" @ 100yrds right and I ran out of adjustment. I seen another thread here on a rifle doing the same thing and they fixed that one. So I called the service dept, explained it hadnt been shot much (which they will see) and told me to send it in, they would supply return shipping.

I wonder if the receiver was drilled crooked or bent barrel? I also wonder what the chances are if it needs a barrel I can get it replaced with a 6.5 creed?

Basic Member
    I would not be surprised if USPS is close to that. They recently started charging more for larger packages regardless of weight. But, I never use UPS or Fedex if I can help it. When running our business we had a large damage rate from those two. USPS we ran about 1% damage rate (we only shipped about 500 a year). And, the USPS claim service was fast and easy.

FYI, the rules for firearms used to be that the bolt had to be removed from the weapon. Not sure if that is still true.

I personally would not use USPS. Their tracking system is bad, and I have had two bad experiences with them which leaves me to not trust them. One was a scope I shipped from Michigan to Westminster, Maryland. It supposedly spent 4 business days at the Baltimore hub. Surprisingly after I finally contacted them by phone it moved the next day and got delivered. I use UPS most of the time.

Basic Member
    BB68

It is quite possible the holes are off. I have that on my Model 12 F/TR in .223.

For vertical, obviously use a rail with whatever +/- you need. For lateral (and the method I used for my problem was Burris Signature Z rings on a rail. With the right combination of Burris' inserts you can get maximum +/- 40 by using two sets of +/-20 inserts.

I don't know how much you are going to have to pay Savage for custom work on changing caliber but as of six months ago, they will not sell a customer (me) a new barrel.

If I would not be immediately terminated for bringing a firearm on company grounds I could use our discount and go UPS. I didnt even think of the post office before, I took it down there and shipped it out for $40, at his point I have procrastinated long enough. I didn't get any questions other than the address, possibly because my gun dealer gave me a plain white shipping box to use. After telling me not to declare contents and to wrap as discreetly as possible. I just hope and pray with any shipping service these days.
    BTW im good on the bolt without even knowing as I put it back into the factory plastic bag. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    BB68

It is quite possible the holes are off. I have that on my Model 12 F/TR in .223.

For vertical, obviously use a rail with whatever +/- you need. For lateral (and the method I used for my problem was Burris Signature Z rings on a rail. With the right combination of Burris' inserts you can get maximum +/- 40 by using two sets of +/-20 inserts.

I don't know how much you are going to have to pay Savage for custom work on changing caliber but as of six months ago, they will not sell a customer (me) a new barrel.
    I have a feeling its all in the receiver, as it does have a nice grouping. How mistakes like that can be made in 2017 idk. You would think by now they would have a fixture or solution.
    They did replace a barrel for my son under warranty, that would make a pattern even at 25 yrds. On that one we were not looking for a different caliber though so no questions were asked.
    I figure I can only ask. If it is bent they would probably just press it straight.

Basic Member
    "... How mistakes like that can be made in 2017 idk...."

You would be amazed.

There is a certain company from the Czech Republic that apparently hand tightens the action screws on their .22's. I had one returned to me with the front action screw at 8 in/lbs and the rear one at 11.

Basic Member
    I'm an FFL, and ship long guns- and recommend the same to customers sending to me- to use USPS Priority Mail, with signature required.
    It's not only cheaper (shipping UPS from the east coast to Cali costs a small fortune), but gets there in 2-3 days- faster than UPS in most cases.
    Insurance is also available at a reasonable cost. Sending a rifle or receiver for service work to a licensee (FFL ) can be done legally with USPS with no special requirements.

With USPS ETA is Monday, I didnt mention that earlier. For UPS to deliver on Monday was close to $250.

Basic Member
    Buy the insurance. UPS turned a custom stock into kindling. Even with insurance it took 6 months of badgering for UPS {Crawford Insurane} to pay up. As I told the local UPS guy the advantage of keeping a home office is I can call him everyday for the rest of my life. It became a value proposition on how much he valued his time.

Basic Member
    And that is why we stopped using UPS, and FedEx is almost as bad.

PS in the last couple of years they have upgraded their tracking system to be as good as UPS/Fedex.

I ship USPS almost 95% of the time. I ship hundreds of small parts, actions, triggers, etc., and the USPS is by far the best.

"I always" ship my packages almost bullet proof. Even my long rifles are "double" boxed.

I can't tell your the "professionals" who ship parts with scotch tape! Then I receive a box of "grab" items the Post Office use to fill up the box, or what's left of the box. "THEN" the Shipper Claims it's not their problem. I am not dirty enough to mention their names, but their are a few.

I have been scorned a few times for "overpacking" some items I have mailed out. I ask the receiver how was the item in the box. Every time, the answer was A+++. It's easy to remove barrels from a tube if you just think a second or two. Get a 1" wooden dowel pin, and tap one end with a rubber hammer, it will come out.

Packaging is the number one most important item when shipping your goods. Same with rifles. I always ship in 3 different boxes, one for the stock, one for the barreled action, and one for the Scope. I HAVE NEVER HAD A RIFLE OR RIFLE PART DAMAGED IN SHIPPING.+

In all fairness, I have had a few people tell me it depends on what part of the country your in., this sometimes depends on the quality of your shipping. Understandable, I guess the same applies to UPS and FedEx.

Everyone, have a great day!

Regards, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Team Savage

I'd rather have shippers like Dennis every time than the other way around.

I do have to agree with Dennis on packaging. Reminds me of shipping a 70 Chevelle console, I triple packed that with 120 lbs. rated cardboard. That was probably the most nerve racking shipping wait I have had.
    The rifle should be delivered today. Now the other worry - if it will be stolen off our front step upon return. I think I will take that afternoon off and wait.

Basic Member
    I had to ship my BVTSS 22 back to Savage for a new barrel. I ended up calling the couple PO's around here and had a copy of the USPS statue printed out from gunbroker. It clearly states that an individual can ship long guns USPS to themselves (for hunting trips), and to the manufacturer/repair shop/ FFL dealer for repair/whatever. But to make a long story short, my local office said I couldn't ship it, I didn't argue, just left. The next closest PO about 5 miles away had no problem with it. They get a lot of firearms anyhow it turns out. I took it up there, told them what I had and they didn't say boo. It came back to my local office. I went down to pick it up because I don't accept packages at my rural box which is not near my house. It was obvious what was in it. I didn't say anything, I just took it home. Choose your battles. I don't think my shipping cost me $35 including insurance.

Basic Member
    When shipping valuables to you, request the shipper select the 'signature required' on delivery. You may have tomgo to thenpo to pick it up but at least itnwont be stolen off the doorstep.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

I would have fixed it myself.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I would have fixed it myself.

And how would that be?

Just checked my tracking number, delivered @ 10:04 AM. Thanks Texas10 I don't think I will ever ship a firearm any other way from now on.

Through various checks I would have identified the issue and repaired or replaced the offending parts.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I know some folks who've worked loading UPS trucks. They arrive to work at 3 am and literally throw the packages into the truck until 5 am. Then off it goes. It's no wonder so many packages are damaged.

I've gone to using USPS because it's much more reasonable in cost, and the packages aren't so likely to be handled by a gorilla. Yes, there is theft within the USPS system. I used to have neighbors who worked for USPS. He was an internal fraud investigator, and she an external fraud investigator. Taught me a lot.

TAPE OVER THE ADDRESS LABEL so it can't be bleached, bled, or peeled. Once it goes to the dead letter office, it's a goner to the thieves. I also write on the exterior of one end "addressee label inside this flap" so if the label becomes "somehow lost", the ship-to address can be obtained easily.

For shipping barrels, I use two pieces of "pool noodle" which is a closed cell foam pool toy. I tape a piece to each end of the barrel that has been wrapped in brown shipping paper so it can't rattle around in a box. Very stable way of packing it.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    The weight adds expense, but you can't beat shipping in a hard case- even one of the cheap "Plano" ones. I use stainless steel, locking zip-ties to secure before sending back to the customer. Not "theft proof", but you need side-cutters to remove them.

Pelican cases are bulletproof, but break out your wallet because of the weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast