Thread: 338-06

Basic Member

338-06

So iv just found out about this little guy called a 338-06 does anyone have one they could share some experience with I don’t know why but it has really intrigued me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great idea to me. I know Elmer Kieth thought highly of it.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    The gun is a Stevens 200 in 30-06 doing a rebuild the last to things to change is the barrel and trigger the round is unique and seem like the ballistics are pretty good as well it’s going to be a backcountry elk/Mule deer gun.

Keep us posted. Sounds like a great project.

Basic Member
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog90 View Post
    So iv just found out about this little guy called a 338-06 does anyone have one they could share some experience with I don’t know why but it has really intrigued me.
    What would you like to know?? my dad has been shooting one for about 15-20 years as his Elk rifle.

Basic Member
    The accuracy and range also any reloading tips I am new to reloading rifle rounds.

Well let me start with giving you the basics of my dad and his application or use of his rifles. He is strictly a game hunter, he does hand load his own ammo, and has since he was 12. He is only concerned with accuracy in the "minute of deer" measurement, but still wants to have a 3 shot group @ 100 yards that can be covered with a quarter.

He shoots Barnes TTSX bullets ( I think he's shooting the 210 grain bullet) for everything. His 338-06 is a Winchester Mod 70 in the original laminate or wood stock, a recoil pad that is from the 60's or 70's, and a long barrel with no muzzle brake. Gun probably weighs 10 lbs. at most, and is topped with a Leupold 4-12x40.

Reloading: get yourself a newer/newest reloading manual and start with low to mid range powder charges (recommended by the manual) and work your way up from there (while checking for pressure signs)until you find an accuracy node (or the group that is the smallest). From there you can tinker with the seating depth to see if you can shrink it down any further. The Barnes bullets generally like a .05 jump or somewhere in that ballpark.

He likes it better than the 338 Mag he used to use, as it kicks less. Not that I have ever pulled the trigger on it myself.... I'm recoil sensitive and won't shoot anything bigger than my 30-06. But my brother has shot it, and said that he wouldn't want to pull the trigger more than 2x in a day.

Basic Member
    Thanks great info is that the 338-06 he wouldn’t want to shoot more than twice or 338 mag

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog90 View Post
    Thanks great info is that the 338-06 he wouldn’t want to shoot more than twice or 338 mag
    That was for the 338-06 (brother)... Dad shot the 338 Mag, but it was too much recoil for him even (which is why he dropped down to the 338-06).

Basic Member
    Oh ok

Basic Member
    I have one with a Shilen prefit barrel and it seems to like Barnes TTSX 210 grain bullets with IMR 4895. I've gotten the best accuracy jumping the bullets .060" to the lands. For brass I neck up 30-06 brass although the brass comes out short (2.474") but it doesn't seem to cause any real problems. One thing that is really, really important, install a nice thick recoil pad on it. A 388-06 doesn't kick like a 338 WM but it's recoil is a bit pronounced.

Basic Member
    That’s the barrel I was looking at and didn’t think it would kick much harder than the 30-06 so that’s some good information thanks guys.

Team Savage

Barnes load data for the 338-06 is currently available on their website - http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-cont.../05/338-06.pdf

They indicate RL-15 is most accurate with the 210/225 TSX/TTSX and H4895 with the 185 TSX/TTSX

Just for comparison purposes the recoil table on Chuck Hawk's site shows:

30-06 with 180gr bullet @ 2700fps in an 8lb rifle will generate 20.3lbs recoil energy at 12.8fps

338-06 with 200gr bullet @ 2800fps in an 8lb rifle generates 23.9lbs recoil energy at 13.9fps

338WM with 200gr bullet @ 2950fps in an 8.5lb rifle generates 32.8lbs recoil energy at 15.3fps

Basic Member
    That’s good information thank you. That’s good info on the recoil I currently have 30-06 so it won’t be much of a change on recoil.

Here's a link to the Nosler load data for the .338-06 (A-Square version). Note that the .338-06 hasn't been "formalized" so you definitely want to work up from conservative loads.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/338-06-a-square/

Basic Member
    Be carful with the load data from Barnes Bullets. Their load data for the TTSX 160 grain bullets is way too hot, at least for my barrel. I started blowing primers even at the minimum. I purchased a copy of Quick Load and a chronograph to develop my loads for both the TTSX 160's and 210's. After blowing primers and questioning Barnes about their info I decided that I would find another way to determine a safe load.

Basic Member
    Steven's 200 A &B barrel BC stock
    30-06 brass resized
    Rem primers
    61 grains IMR 4350
    215 grn Sierra Gamekings
    And
    200 grain speer spts
    Honest 3 shot clover leafs off sand bags at 200 yards with sierras
    Recoil is a quick shove, not a sharp kick , much tamer than 338 win mag
    Love shooting it, a little heavy, the barrel is a magnum contour and I even had it fluted.
    Dropped 2 mule deer, both around 140 yards, drt.
    Have not seen an elk with it yet, hope too in near future.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member

338-06

What is a a&b barrel.. sounds like a good round!

Basic Member
    AB stands for Adams & Bennet. Midway sold this barrel for a few years. I think it was a generic made by ER Shaw but do not quote me on that.

I have a 338-06 barrel for Savage bolt guns.and ran it for a while. Bought it here and even shot cast through it. The cartridge is easy to work with. The breaking point on recoil really begins above 225 gr bullet weight. I pushed some 250 gr jacketed and that lets you know you have a real “bear stick”!

A very good cartridge indeed!

I used an 8mm Mauser die adjusted just to expand the 30 caliber neck of an 06 case before going to the 338 die to make an easier transition but I already had that die set so it was a no brainer. If you do as I did make sure you don’t push the 06 case’s shoulder back.

I found the 338-06 to be just as at home with cast as with jacketed rounds. Most cast shooters are most smitten with the 35 Whelen for cast (35-06) and it is excellent to be sure but I believe 338-06 is more flexible and has a better selection of jacketed high BC bullets, listed load pressures are higher thus you have a wider published operating range than the 35 Whelen. The Whelen does have a wider selection of older used cast bullet molds but there are shops that will make you a very decent mold at very reasonable prices for the 338” bore.

Further you can just buy the Lee 338” mold for cheap and though it sort of does not look like an optimum design it actually performs much better than it looks.

To get around having short cases after forming you could start with a 270 Win or a 280 Remington case. I would add an intermediate die step up the neck size and then trim final length for the 338-06. Annealing the neck seems like a good case saving strategy as well.

Three44s