Thread: Remington 700 SPS or Savage 12FV

Basic Member

Remington 700 SPS or Savage 12FV

I'm considering getting a bolt action
    .223 and these are the 2 that I have narrowed it down to. Both have 26" bull barrel, and they both come with a synthetic stock. Looking for pros and cons to both of them. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had an SPS Varmint in 308 and loved it. Sold it to a coworker years back, but don't really miss it. The 700 action was a bit smoother than the Savage action in my opinion. There are still more aftermarket options in many accessories for a 700, but the market is catching up for Savages. I like the accutrigger better than the factory Rem offering. The stocks on both suck, so that is a draw. They should shoot about the same for you. The 700 scope base screw holes were boogered from the factory, but Rem customer service was excellent and had it fixed quickly. One of the reasons I like Savage more is the ease of maintenance/modification over the Rem, particularly swapping barrels when you want to move on from 308.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but the extra $ saved by buying a Savage could go toward the aftermarket stock, scope, etc.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    I have a 700 adl varmint 223 that wont group under 3/4", most are 1-1.2". I have put probably 150 or more rounds through it. I wanted the 12 twist to try light bullets. Dissapointing. Lots of people have great success with the 700, it just wasn't my luck.

I just bought 223 12fv, which has a 9 twist. Hopefully I can get it out this weekend.

Double post
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I have a 700BDL Stainless Fluted SPS varmint in .308.
    I usually find most factory stocks functional, even the Savage tupperware, but the SPS stock with it's "pressure point" setup is a total no go for me. Having a piece of plastic that cant support it's own weight much less a 26" heavy barrel and then marketing it as having a "pressure point" is pretty clever way to sell crap though. Traded that stock off for a bag of corroded shotgun shot to weight down a lead sled and some .257 caliber bullets.
    The factory "x mark pro" trigger that's marketed as "user adjustable" was also far from anything I found useful with tons of mushy travel "creep" before letoff and standard "user" adjustment to the lightest setting as intended though lighter did nothing for the mush and looong creep. After changing out the stock for a B&C Varmint Tactical and working over the trigger well beyond the "user adjustable" part by removing the yellow sealer and adjusting the sear (apparently not a recommended procedure) I was able to get it to shoot very well.
    As compared to my model 12 BVSS Savages I'd choose the Savage every time. Much more economical. ready to rock and stunningly accurate right out of the box. (and I dont have to worry about someone claiming I screwed up the trigger and made it unsafe)

With what you can buy the Savage for through Cabela's compared to the Remington it's almost a no-brainer.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I was already leaning towards the Savage to start with. Just kind of wondering if there were any benefits at all that I was overlooking on the Remington 700's

Basic Member
    Also I was wondering what you guys thought about the Savage Axis models with the heavy barrel ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock5857 View Post
    Also I was wondering what you guys thought about the Savage Axis models with the heavy barrel ?
    The 12FV action is just so much nicer looking and better functioning. The Axis bolt handle is tiny and whacks into low scopes. Plus it's only a long action and is a waste of metal. There is no recoil lug on the action...just a slot that meets up with a lug in the stock.

I know a lot of guys like em, but I'd skip the Axis for anything based on the 110 action every time.
    I had one of the early ones (Edge) and it was gone in short order because of the Trigger (after tune up it was still terrible), The cheesy stock, and the weirdo recoil lug arrangement. I took good care of it but whatever the matte finish was started flaking off the barrel in short order. It was also the first Savage I owned that I just couldn't get to shoot.
    Ordered it sight unseen based on the reviews and boy was I disappointed. Learned a lesson and wont make that mistake again. I know there's more aftermarket now but in my opinion the squeeze aint worth the juice. Took my beating and moved on.

Basic Member
    Anybody got any thoughts on a Savage 11 Prairie Dog .223 ?

Basic Member
    It would be a fabulous gun..what do you want to do with it? I love shooting 69gr Sierras in my 12FV...

Basic Member
    I'll probably just punch paper with it. Maybe shoot a few coyotes. Just wondering what people thought about it

Basic Member
    If the price is right it would be well worth it. Do you have a suitable scope for it?

Basic Member
    What would be a good price ? I'm looking at a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X44. I have a couple of other Vortex scopes, and I like them pretty good.

Basic Member
    I am assuming it's used? I am thinking $450ish

Basic Member
    I got it shipped for $347 plus the $20 transfer fee. I guess I got a pretty good deal. It also has Leupold 30mm rings and bases.

Excellent deal.
    You also mentioned scopes, Sportsmans warehouse has Vortex diamondback 4x16 for $200. I bought one and am pretty impressed for the money spent.

Basic Member
    I'll sure check on that scope. Thanks