Thread: Best .17

Basic Member

Best .17

I am wanting a very accurate .17, not hooked on a brand but wondering if I can get top notch accuracy with a Savage?
    personal experiences appreciated.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    I purchased new, the model 25 Savage in .17 Hornet. I reload for everything I own and using either the Nosler 20gr or the Hornady 25gr bullets my little Savage is just plain wicked accurate!! I have a 2-4X scope on it and it's become my favorite groundhog hunting rifle of choice. Bang....wiggle, wiggle, flop out to 350yds with the 25gr. bullets.

Low report, low chance of a ricochet as when the little pill hits anything, it tends to shatter right there. Yes....when I miss it's not the rifles fault!!!

I have shot factory Hornady ammo and it's accuracy is great. I just prefer to reload what I shoot. BTW....if you do reload this little pill you need a special funnel to get the powder in the case. Not much of a PITA as I put the powder in the case while my RCBS powder dispenser does it's thing to measure out the next powder charge.

I hope this helps.

Basic Member
    I apologize, I see I failed to say .17HMR

Basic Member
    I had a .17hmr once. Sold it for half of what I paid for it. I don't have much respect for the rimfire .17 calibers as the range is far to limited. IMHO, if your gonna buy a .17 caliber...buy a centerfire .17 as they do the job up to coyote size game.

Basic Member
    I already know the capabilities and lack of for the HMR, that was not my question. I have plenty of centerfire Varmint rounds.
    Looks like I may need to go to rimfirecentral for this question, I asked here hoping some had experience with a Savage.

Basic Member
    Well, I understand. I'm giving you my experience with both cartridges. I got rid of the inferior .17 rimfire in favor of the much superior .17 centerfire. That was my experience with both cartridges.

You can get top notch accuracy with either. One is worth punching holes in paper, and the other punching holes in varmints.....successfully.

FWIW

Basic Member
    I have a B17 . The best I have gotten so far is just a hair over 1 moa at 50 yards . I can assure you that, in other hands, the B17 would shoot moa or a little better. Other than the stock not free floating the barrel perfectly, I have had no problems with the B17.