Thread: Small problem with Rifle Basix 2 trigger assembslly on savage model 12

Small problem with Rifle Basix 2 trigger assembslly on savage model 12

I installed the trigger following all of the instructions and everything worked great
    then I hit a snag I cannot get the bolt out tried everything the sear will not move far enough into the trigger housing
    took it apart put it together without the trigger and no problem put the trigger and the arm back in and no good
    not like I take the bolt out every day but
    Old Smokey

This was meant to go out as guestion looking for suggestions
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    Is this a top bolt release? If it is, the sear has to travel at least that far when it fires. It cannot hang up like you say when you pull the trigger or I don't believe it would fire.
    If it is a bottom bolt release I think I read where Robinhood made one work with the sav2. But I've never worked with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Is this a top bolt release? If it is, the sear has to travel at least that far when it fires. It cannot hang up like you say when you pull the trigger or I don't believe it would fire.
    If it is a bottom bolt release I think I read where Robinhood made one work with the sav2. But I've never worked with that combo.
    top bolt release and the sear travels pleanty far enough to fire but it needs a 1/8 more travel to release the bolt
    I can put the bolt in but it goes hard but going in it goes with angle of sear arm coming out it is against it and it hangs up
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    Is it possible to see the interference area? If so, as long as it is not the actual sear where it contacts the trigger arm, can a small amount be removed with a dremmel to allow the clearance you need?

Remove the rifle from the stock, squeeze the trigger and depress the sear. What is restricting the sear from going all the way back? this will be were you find your answer.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    I'll bet it is the stock, the sear is rubbing against it. Like Robinhood said, remove the stock and try to remove the bolt, I'll bet it comes out. Look in the stock and see where it is rubbing. Remove a little material.

Bill

The action is not in the stock
    it hits a stop on the arm the rifle Basix trigger is actually a 2 part trigger the trigger and the arm
    the arm contacts the sear when it fires the sear drops but midway down the arm ther is a stop that the sear hits
    with out the arm in it works fine so it’s in the stop

yea I thought about grinding the stop back a bit but did not want to hurt anything
    the sear arm that holds the bolt in I also thought of rounding that point?? But I don’t want bolt coming out while cycling action

the action is a model 12 accutrigger never had trigger though I bought it stripped
    the bolt is a used bolt not sure what action in came out of
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    The Rifle Basics sav2 has three holes for mounting the lever arm (if I remember right for different mechanical advantage).
    Will the sear clear if it is mounted in one of the other holes?
    Without seeing it I am guessing. If it does you will have to start all over but might be worth a try .

Team Savage
    Chuck,

I think your problem is the accutrigger action with a borrowed bolt. Maybe Fred or Robinhood will be able to comment on that. I would hesitate grinding on the trigger or sear too. In my foggy memory it seems like I read about having trouble with the Rifle Basic 2 in a accutrigger action. Will the accurtrigger bolt interchange with a standard bolt?? Have you tried calling the folks at Rifle Basic??? I understand they have great customer support.

Bill

Team Savage
    I had the same problem on two Model 12 with the Rifle Basis II Trigger kit. By modifying the bolt release stop material on top of the stop, I was able to make it work perfectly.
    No other modification was needed for either the .223 or the .308 rifle. No stock mods were needed, it was the bolt release.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    The Rifle Basics sav2 has three holes for mounting the lever arm (if I remember right for different mechanical advantage).
    Will the sear clear if it is mounted in one of the other holes?
    Without seeing it I am guessing. If it does you will have to start all over but might be worth a try .
    thats 3 holes for trigger the arm has just one
    Old Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Chuck,

I think your problem is the accutrigger action with a borrowed bolt. Maybe Fred or Robinhood will be able to comment on that. I would hesitate grinding on the trigger or sear too. In my foggy memory it seems like I read about having trouble with the Rifle Basic 2 in a accutrigger action. Will the accurtrigger bolt interchange with a standard bolt?? Have you tried calling the folks at Rifle Basic??? I understand they have great customer support.

Bill
    I did not mean the sear I meant the bolt release tec they are separate but they are 1 piece. I believe halftrack ran into same prob and fixed it I mean it’s so close that in the stock I can actually put enough pressure on the release to get it it like a 1/16 th
    i can actually fix it with dermal with it assembled or even a file
    Old Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTrack View Post
    I had the same problem on two Model 12 with the Rifle Basis II Trigger kit. By modifying the bolt release stop material on top of the stop, I was able to make it work perfectly.
    No other modification was needed for either the .223 or the .308 rifle. No stock mods were needed, it was the bolt release.
    thank you that was my thought also
    Old Smokey

Big, with the bolt removed and the trigger installed, look into the right lug raceway and see how much of the sear lever sticks up into the raceway. I have modified the top once like halftrack. It did not take much. The RB Sav2 is made a little more forward that the factory setup causing this issue.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Big, with the bolt removed and the trigger installed, look into the right lug raceway and see how much of the sear lever sticks up into the raceway. I have modified the top once like halftrack. It did not take much. The RB Sav2 is made a little more forward that the factory setup causing this issue.
    Yea and it’s a brand new sear/ bolt release comes to sharp point easy fix the trigger itself I really like
    Old Smokey

Which pivot point you've chosen makes a difference as well as the overtravel screw, it's been awhile since I studied mine but I do remember that the trigger and the bolt release have to be in sinc

Might be the trigger stop screw needs backed out.

Basic Member
    I have gone through the exact same problem.

Call Rifle Basix and tell them what the problem is. The will send you another sear. Several months ago they had a problem with the supplier.

They sent a new one and no more problem.

May I suggest this first, before the call.

Put the bolt in part way. Gently pull on the trigger and hold it down. Depress the lever while gently pushing on the bolt. Release the trigger entirely. The bolt will MOST probably continue on its way and close.