Thread: Stevens 200 action on a Model 10 fluted barrel

Stevens 200 action on a Model 10 fluted barrel

First time hello everyone. I enjoy challenging myself so decided to explore the world of Savage rifles and re-barreling and purchased the necessary tools.

I have a Stevens 200 rifle in .243 Win and I have re-barreled it with a Model 10 fluted barrel in 260 Rem. It was a fun challenge and I had some good learning along the way.
    Here is where my question comes in.

The Model 10 fluted barrel is a heavier profile than the original .243 sporter barrel. I am not sure ?? that it qualifies as a bull barrel but it is definitely thicker. So I would need to open the fore stock on the existing stock to accept the new barrel if I choose to stay with it. I have the ability to do that. Or I could purchase an aftermarket stock or keep my eye out for someone selling a used stock.

Here is where the picture gets fuzzy for me. The Savage web site says that the Stevens 200 action would require a stock from a Model 11 or Model 16 internal magazine. I understood that the Stevens 200 was essentially the Savage 110 re-branded?? And if I purchase an aftermarket stock or a used stock what barrel profile should I be looking for?

Any input or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Basic Member
    Varmint profile.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    There are only about 4 possible stocks that will fit your action. Short action, top bolt release w/ blind magazine (think 12 FV); 2) Short action bottom bolt release with integral bottom plastic (takes Axis mags); 3)Short action top bolt release that takes either metal or plastic bottom "metal" and 4) the Short action bottom bolt release that takes either plastic or metal bottom metal.

IIRC the Stevens 200 is the top bolt release action, so that eliminates two. Now your choices are either the 12 FV style stock (which will already have a wide barrel channel that will fit your barrel), or a standard top bolt release short action stock that will need either plastic or metal bottom metal parts. The plastic parts will take the Axis mags with the plastic clip, and the real metal bottom metal will use the magazines with the metal bottom and have the mag release lever built in to the bottom metal.

Sorry if that's confusing, but Savage mixes and matches actions, stocks and barrels and once you figure out the "system" then it will all make sense to you.

So long as the action screw spacing is the same (4.4" for the newer short actions), just about every stock will interchange although you might have to do some inletting if for example you have a stock originally intended for a bottom bolt release non-accutrigger and you put a top bolt release action in it with the accutrigger.

Just work through it and you'll keep learning, just like the rest of us have.

Good luck.

Team Savage
    Savage even mixes and matches magazine parts, and it's not that hard to convert a magazine with a metal bottom and no clip, to an Axis style mag with plastic bottom and clip. I've done it several times.

Thanks everyone for the advice. After sitting and staring at the stock and rifle for a while (it is -25 and snowing here) I decided to open up the channel in the fore stock to make a custom fit. Poking around in the shop I found what turned out to be the perfect tool for the job. My wife is a cabinet maker and we have fully outfitted her tool needs over the years. The drum sander had a cylinder shaped sanding attachment about 6 inches long that fit the barrel channel exactly as needed. I rigged up a mandrel so it would work in a 1/2 inch drill and went to work. The channel turned out exactly as I wanted it and I mounted the new(used) barrel/action into the stock.

I would post a picture but I do not know if I am allowed yet being a newbie. Bases, rings, scope and ammo and I can make it go Bang!

Next up is another Stevens 200 action in .243 Win to a Savage barrel in 07-08 Rem, both sporter barrels. This one currently sits in a terrible plastic stock so I will have to watch for a used stock or consider a Boyd's stock.

After that one I plan on getting a custom 250 Savage barrel made and putting it on a Savage 110 that I have in .243 Win.

Basic Member
    Next up, after that.....too late, the OP has caught the bug...��

Yeah...I guess you could say that I caught the bug. Actually some time ago because I have been gradually accumulating all the tools that I need and some donor rifles. I am sort of an "all in" type of guy once I make up my mind to try something.

It was -30 and snowing here today so I decided to spend another day in the shop. The Stevens 200 in .243 Win sat in a horrid plastic stock with a paint can camo job. I really have no idea if it is factory or someone's creation but either way it is going in the garbage can. The previous rifle was a staggered mag but this one is a single stack mag with the top bolt release. When I pulled the stock away from the rifle the mag stayed in the stock. It appears that I will have to do some minor excavating to get it out. OR...could I leave it and install either a drop floor mag or removable mag in a different stock?

Anyone have any experience doing that sort of thing? Tips?

Another lesson that I learned today, almost the hard way, always remove the scope bases before removing the barrel. The front base screw came very close to ruining the threads on the barrel when I removed it. I got lucky.

Basic Member
    I have changed barrels on a couple Stevens 200. The staggerfeed action has a screw spacing of 4.27", the centerfeed action (magazine stays in the stock) is 4.4" spacing. The magazine isn't difficult to remove from the stock. Put a flat screwdriver under the L clip at the back of the magazine and twist. The magazine should come right out. You can use the magazine box in a drop floor mag (aka hinged floor plate) or get just the bottom for the detachable mag. Newtosavage is correct, just keep reading and looking around at here and you'll figure it out. Seems overwhelming at first, but once you know the differences, it's easy.

Don't know why, but it seems like I run across a lot of the Stevens in 243 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
    I have changed barrels on a couple Stevens 200. The staggerfeed action has a screw spacing of 4.27", the centerfeed action (magazine stays in the stock) is 4.4" spacing. The magazine isn't difficult to remove from the stock. Put a flat screwdriver under the L clip at the back of the magazine and twist. The magazine should come right out. You can use the magazine box in a drop floor mag (aka hinged floor plate) or get just the bottom for the detachable mag. Newtosavage is correct, just keep reading and looking around at here and you'll figure it out. Seems overwhelming at first, but once you know the differences, it's easy.

Don't know why, but it seems like I run across a lot of the Stevens in 243 also.
    Thanks Swissfan,
    I have been doing a ton of reading here and other web sites and watching the occasional YouTube video just to break things up a bit. There has been a lot of learning on my part. I have to admit that I am envious of the selection, availability and price of aftermarket firearms parts. It wouldn't matter quite as much if ITAR wasn't blocking the border then we would just have to deal with the exchange rate. Finding aftermarket firearms parts up here can be much like being on a scavenger hunt looking for a Unicorn. (We only have one of those in Canada and he is our Prime Minister.)

If nothing else I can just be patient and watch the forums for used stuff for sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by d4dave1 View Post
    Finding aftermarket firearms parts up here can be much like being on a scavenger hunt looking for a Unicorn. (We only have one of those in Canada and he is our Prime Minister.)
    That unicorn reference made my day. Haha
    I have found CGN can be a good place to find parts

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Up View Post
    That unicorn reference made my day. Haha
    I have found CGN can be a good place to find parts
    Thanks Buck Up. I am a CGN member (same name) and that is where I purchased my Model 110's and Stevens 200's for my projects. The folks there have been very helpful but I thought that I would join this group as well because there are some very knowledgeable Savage owners here.

I did manage to find a stock to fit so once it arrives that project will be complete. Now I have to make a decision about barrel profile....#3 or #4.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by d4dave1 View Post
    I would post a picture but I do not know if I am allowed yet being a newbie.
    Become a Team Savage member and you can start uploading pics today or host elsewhere and post the link. I recommend supporting this site as a Team Savage member.