Thread: max barrel dim for target action

Basic Member

max barrel dim for target action

Gentlemen,

I am looking for some data to show what the maximum barrel diameter can be for a target action.

I saw in a thread that a member stated 1.120 x 20 threads at tennon; therefore, it seems the maximum barrel diameter can be 1.120" for a straight bull barrel cut. This would have advantage over standard savage bull in 1" since top competitors like 1.25 which provides maximum volume for stiffness and thermal mass.

Can someone please provide a reference to a print to verify these dims? Thank you!!!

Thank you

Brian

Basic Member
    Im not a competitor as such, but I choose to have guns that could be used for it for the type hunting/shooting I do.
    Standard actions like Rem 700, And Savage 110s are used with 1'250 barrels regularly, and often guns are bought just for the action.
    Many prefer to have them tapered from about the front of the chamber area to a smaller muzzle size in order to cut down on weight, but not always.
    Barrel steel is supplied to the barrel maker in certain diameter dimensions, and they can do what the customer selects from there as for twist, length, and shape. Action threads are determined by the specific action selected, and done by the one doing the chambering.

Basic Member
    Hi Yobuck,

Thanks for the response.

I have a custom barrel contour on my 284 win. Its a 1.125" diameter at muzzle and goes on a Savage PTA action. I was looking for verification of dims since he will be making a pre-fit and will not have the action. Typically, savage bull barrels are 1" at muzzle.

My actual question is, if I provide a blank to a gunsmith, what is the correct diameter of the blank for the savage PTA?

This gunsmith does not contour.

Thanks!
    BG

This FAQ has all the information you need in it.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...el-Shank-Sizes
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    thanks, this helped

Basic Member
    You could always eliminate the barrel nut and use a shouldered barrel, then you can make it as thick as you want.
    I have personally seen a guy at the range about 10 years ago with a savage that he had a custom barrel made for. It was 16 inches, and the diameter was the same as the receiver, the whole 16 inches! It was one heavy gun! And looked funny too.

Basic Member
    Understand if you can that im old, in fact very old, and due to that, my definition of lets say the word "gunsmith" dosent necessarily mesh with the modern definition of the same word.
    The term "barrelnut" would generally be a word associated with a nut owning lots of barrels, and probably never confused with and used in conjunction with the word "gunsmith".
    Some of whom in fact may also be a nut, at least to some degree, and probably sometimes due to being exposed to "barrelnuts".

Basic Member
    going the prefit route! So I can keep shooting the gun, and when the barrel arrives, take 30 minutes to replace and shoot again!

Basic Member
    LOL As long as the barrelnut doesn't make me go nuts!