Thread: '99 takedown

Basic Member

'99 takedown

There is a square hole stud in the forend (used to unscrew the barrel) of my takedown model. I had (at one time) a schematic that listed all the parts with their names (it came from Numrich). Now they don't show the schematic online. I replaced the forend years ago with one that wasn't the correct style so I left the stud out. Now I'm going to replace the forend with the correct one and I've either lost the stud or put it in a "safe" place (so safe I can't remember where). Any ideas for a schematic/part?

I think your looking for part 99TD-185.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Thanks, Mad Dog. I continued research on that and found the original Savage 99 schematics with the original Savage part number: 99-185. Now comes the fun part to find one (I may be forced to build one as this isn't something you would normally lose). And how often would someone have a extra/damaged forend with the plug still there. Numrich had one but now they're out of stock.

Basic Member
    In my search for the barrel stud in the forestock I found a reasonably priced new/unfinished forestock. After some custom fitting of wood to metal, I have my '99F take-down looking like it did 60 years ago. At least, it will after I finish the oil finish on the forestock. Since I don't plan on taking the barrel off, I won't worry about finding/buying/building the barrel stud. If anyone out there happens upon one, let me know, please.

Basic Member
    Just an update on my '99. I've finished the replacement forestock. The short one in the photo is the "cheapy" I put on about 10 years ago. The longer one is the new replacement.[IMG]HPIM5801.jpg. I don't know if the photo will show but I hope so.