Thread: Horus Reticles and Internal Bubble Levels

Basic Member

Horus Reticles and Internal Bubble Levels

Since the patent on some of the Horus reticles has now expired, we are seeing Horus style reticles coming out in several brands, without the added price that used to be tacked on as royalty payments to Horus Vision. One example is the new Mil-XT from Nightforce that costs the same as their regular reticles rather than hundreds more as is the case for the Horus versions. I see this as good news for the end users.

On a different note, do any of you remember the Springfield Armory branded scopes that had a small bubble level built into the INSIDE of the scope that you could easily see at the 6:00 position? A great idea, in a not so great line of scopes. I think is a fantastic feature. It eliminates the need for an exterior anti cant device plus you don't need to remove your eye from the scope to check the level. It also simplifies getting your scope mounted in the rings plumb with the rail, making for very easy scope swapping from one gun to another.

I have never seen it offered in any other brands. Certainly that patent has long expired. Why hasn't anyone else thought to add it to their product line?

Basic Member
    Sig has an internal level.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Cool. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Personally I would prefer an actual bubble level since it would work with no batteries and would likely not add as much to the cost of the scope. An electronic version is a great solution and would probably be easier to use than having to look down at a bubble inside the field of view, allowing you to keep your eye on the target.

I never noticed that option in the Sig scopes before since I haven't looked at any Sig optics other than their Romeo 1 MRDS which I own and I like quite a bit. They are offering some cutting edge stuff for sure. I wish more scope makers would offer an internal level either electronic or bubble style. My number one want would be to have an actual bubble level in the Sightron S3 scopes. My guess is the bubble level would cost less than an electronic system.