Bit of a strange idea brewing. Here's my thoughts. I made a list of wants for my budget .308 Hog Hunter Tactical/Practical build that includes light weight stock, angled fore grip, and the option to mount a bi-pod. That last one is the monkey in the wrench. Most jobs i have in mind for this build involve trekking and shooting off hand, so the bi-pod is the outlier. But, i digress.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Richard's Microfit laminate, which would be a solid platform but significant weight gain. I also considered sitting around until I could source a cast off Accufit with aluminum block. I could then use the swivel studs to place two small rails, one for the bi-pod, and one for the fore grip. That got me thinking. If ran a full 8-9" picatinny rail along the forearm on the factory stock, how much strength would that add, especially if I epoxy filled the barrel channel? if that weren't enough, additionally I could bed a section of aluminum bar stock directly onto the forearm, and mount the rail to that, adding a bit more flex resistance.

Pros:

1. Rigidity, even without a bi-pod.

2. Ability to play around with loadouts (lights, etc...)

3. Ability to use a bi-pod, if i ever decide to.

4. Unique 1 off look, especially after paint job .

5. Pretty budget friendly.

Possible Cons:

1. Added forward weight on an already barrel heavy (20" medium contour) rifle.

2. Creating a hinge point just forward of the action where the block/rail would end.

3. Possibly heavier than a laminate? Haven't done any math yet.

4. Too unique of a 1 off look... might just be ugly. Like coyote ugly.

The weight might not be an issue. Again, haven't run the numbers. That could kill the whole thing for me. Between epoxy fill, aluminum, rail, and possible counter balancing added to the butt-stock, it could get heavy. As for the hinge point, I know some folks run aluminum rods past the end of the barrel channel to avoid this. That made me think maybe I could run the rail to the front action screw and toss in a longer screw. I have no idea what affect that might have, but it is another thing to consider. And as far as ugly, I am a pretty precise fella most of the time. If it looks bad, it wont be due to shoddy work. I searched google images and several forums to see if a beast like this exists, but no luck. Plus, I kinda like 'em a little on the trashy side, just not to hefty.

So I submit it to the mob? Suggestions? Comments? Blinding-flashes-of-insight?