Thread: MDT AICS Polymer Magazine for 223

Basic Member

MDT AICS Polymer Magazine for 223

Ordered a few MDT magazines for my 223 that takes acis mags few weeks back haven't heard anything tried to call them the other day with no luck also tried finding them everywhere else seems to be on backorder has anybody ordered them & are waiting as well?

Basic Member
    I haven’t ordered any of their magazines..but the few things I have ordered over the last couple of months have all been shipped in a timely manner. The last items were a couple of picatinny rails for my MDT-LSS chassis that I could not seem to find anywhere else. They shipped them USPS with out any notification they had shipped. I never saw any order info on my account for them.

Send them an email or try calling again.

Basic Member
    Thanks I'll email & keep watching the mail box.

Basic Member
    In case you're in a pinch and don't hear anything soon, I ordered one of the black MDT 223 mags on Ebay. Believe it was sold by AB Arms for $40 and no shipping. One of the few places I've seen them constantly in stock. Very good magazines by the way.

Not sure how big of a shop MDT is, but SHOT Show was last week so they may have been closed up while they were out there.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    AHC222 Thanks I may have to look him up nothing in the mail yet so I assume they have ran out just wished they would let me know. Why is Magpul not jumping on this bandwagon???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOW JW View Post
    AHC222 Thanks I may have to look him up nothing in the mail yet so I assume they have ran out just wished they would let me know. Why is Magpul not jumping on this bandwagon???
    I asked the same thing on Snipers Hide. I know the market isn't huge, but can't imagine there wouldn't be some good money involved with all the 223 MDT mags I've seen around. And for what it's worth, your experience might not be great with MDT right now, but as JBaker said, they were just at SHOT and probably as busy as I am right now at work. Just know that 99% of the time they're a great company to work with and this isn't the ordinary for them. Always answered my questions in a quick manner.

FYI, metal ruger scout 223 magazines are AICS pattern and made by accurate mag.I snagged some for $30 each a couple months ago. There are also polymer ones but I haven't used them yet. Not sure how the price compares, but there's another couple options for you.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Looks like I will have to ask for my money back called again today & there still a good month or so out. Would have been nice to have known that when I placed my order or heck even a week after would have worked.

Basic Member
    The classic problem with manufacturing. How much do you commit to a product vs sales. A PITA for the mfg and the customer. The biggest thing is communication with customers. Be honest about production/delivery times.

My experiences.

A product sells well. Good. Mfg can't keep up. Backorders. Customers go somewhere else. Bad. Invest in more mfg capacity. Sales don't pick back up. Bad.

Or, invest a lot in mfg up front. Good sales. Good decision, IF increase in sales pays for equipment. If sales drop then still bad investment.

And these don't cover manpower costs of idle machine time or hiring/laying off.

These days with internet sales it is even worse. Customers expect shipping in 24hr or less. More than that and they go somewhere else, especially with all the choices out there.

Also, in a small shop communications can sometimes be a problem. Sometimes customer service is one person. And maybe they have other jobs to do. And customer interactions take a ton of time. So, communicating with customers can take a hit.

Because of my problems in a small business I give other small business folks a LOT of slack. If they have products I like I will wait for them.

Basic Member
    Ok guys so I got my mags 1 week ago. They feed like crap but I got a Pdog hunt on the way so I will make them work. Looks like the mold is setup to allow the casing to set to far back I may be able to put a spacer in there to fix it?? Kinda sucks when I am running there chassis & there mags & it still is not right.

Basic Member
    With some minor trimming I got Ruger RPR .223 mags to work in my MDT Oryx chassis... Might be an option.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOW JW View Post
    Ok guys so I got my mags 1 week ago. They feed like crap but I got a Pdog hunt on the way so I will make them work. Looks like the mold is setup to allow the casing to set to far back I may be able to put a spacer in there to fix it?? Kinda sucks when I am running there chassis & there mags & it still is not right.
    Just a curiosity question, did you go from a Savage stock to aftermarket with AICS bottom metal? If you did, the extension on the bolt baffle doesn't let the bolt travel far enough back to feed consistently. I swapped the baffle out with a long action baffle from a Savage .270 bolt and my MDT TAC .223 Mags have never had another misfeed...

The baffle on a .223 Savage bolt has about a .75" extension on it to shorten the stroke for the length of the .223 cartridge. I was told you could either grind this extension off, or order a new baffle for a long-action bolt. I tested it with the .270 bolt baffle and it totally corrected the miss-feed issue. I then ordered another long action baffle in stainless steel for about $10 shipped and have never had another issue. The bolt not coming back far enough with the .223 baffle extension caused the cartridges in the AICS Mag to flip up and point into the roof of the chamber and caused the butt-end of the round to push downward into the magazine. That was because the bolt didn't come back far enough to pick up the rim and push the cartridge straight into the chamber.

Basic Member
    Interesting. I’ve got my 260 in an mdt chassis for sing mdt aics pattern mags,and I haven’t had any issues at all. In fact they got smoother and easier to click in as time has passed.
    The only thing I found strange was capacity. It’s a hard squeeze to get 9 rounds in.
    Though I am in Canada and there could be some nonsense mag capacity law. I know they have to pin 30 round mags to 5 rounds in any rifle that’s a semi auto. Though I thought there wasn’t any capacity limits with bolt actions.

Basic Member
    I have 2 MDT magazines (.308) for a Savage 10BA Stealth 6.5, Creedmoor. Although Savage specifies it as a 10 round magazine, MDT lists it as an 8 round magazine. Very difficult to get 10 rounds in the magazine. 9 rounds is more realistic.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    Just a curiosity question, did you go from a Savage stock to aftermarket with AICS bottom metal? If you did, the extension on the bolt baffle doesn't let the bolt travel far enough back to feed consistently. I swapped the baffle out with a long action baffle from a Savage .270 bolt and my MDT TAC .223 Mags have never had another misfeed...

The baffle on a .223 Savage bolt has about a .75" extension on it to shorten the stroke for the length of the .223 cartridge. I was told you could either grind this extension off, or order a new baffle for a long-action bolt. I tested it with the .270 bolt baffle and it totally corrected the miss-feed issue. I then ordered another long action baffle in stainless steel for about $10 shipped and have never had another issue. The bolt not coming back far enough with the .223 baffle extension caused the cartridges in the AICS Mag to flip up and point into the roof of the chamber and caused the butt-end of the round to push downward into the magazine. That was because the bolt didn't come back far enough to pick up the rim and push the cartridge straight into the chamber.
    Correct & Thanks I will try this hopefully it helps me out.

Basic Member
    It sure did the trick for me. I was wracking my brain and reading everything I could find... This is the one I ordered after trying the .270 bolt baffle: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-bolt-...roduct_id=1986

The baffle was like $4 and it cost $6 to ship it. I hate it when shipping costs more than the part. Again, I have never experienced another miss-feed from my MDT .223 Mags after correcting for the extension on that baffle. Good luck!