Thread: Pump-action 22 WMR?

Pump-action 22 WMR?

I've been wanting to buy a rifle in 22 WMR for a while now and having never owned a pump-action rimfire I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. Naturally finding one that's a vintage Savage would just be icing on the cake. However, so far the little bit of looking and research I have done hasn't turned up anything - not a single reference or listing.

So did Savage ever offer any of the pump-action rimfire rifles in .22 WMR, or are my hopes of finding a nice Model 29 in 22 WMR merely a pipe dream?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nope, they've never chambered a pump in 22 WMR, I'd have one if they ever did.

They did for a few years chamber the model 19M NRA in 22 WMR but they're few and far between. Saw one at auction about 4 months ago but it went for double what I would have paid for a rimfire. I think they did some NRA's in 22 Hornet as well.

I had a few of my old Savage pumps out yesterday and realised that they never drilled and tapped the 29B's for tang sights, just it's predecessors.

As for the 22 WMR I just sold a 63M and a 65M and bought a brand new Landry edition in 22 WMR.
    Savage- "never say never".

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    As for the 22 WMR I just sold a 63M and a 65M and bought a brand new Landry edition in 22 WMR.
    Now what did you go and do a darn'fool'idgit thing like that fer? Especially the 63M with the Mannlicher stock.

Anyway...that's a bummer on no Savage pump 22 WMR's. I guess that leaves me with the Winchester 61 or a new Henry for a 22 WMR pump-action. Would love to get a Winchester but they start at around $1,000-1,200 which is a little too rich for my blood for a rimfire rifle. Nothing against the Henry's as they're a good reliable gun, but they're just a little underwhelming with the zamac alloy receiver, clam-shell cover and powder coated finish. It also just wouldn't have that cool factor to it that an old vintage gun would.

I would also consider a single-shot breech loader if you know of anything. Something like a Winchester 1885 Low Wall, Stevens Favorite, Remington Rolling Block, etc. Chiappa/Pederosi make a cool scaled down Little Sharps rifle in rimfire, but they're right up there around $1,200 as well.

Just don't want a bolt-action or semi-auto as I have plenty of those type rifles already and am looking for something different for a change.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Not a Savage, but Rossi makes a credible clone of the old Winchester pumps. I have a .22LR I added Marbles sights to and it is a delight. They make/made a .22 WRM in short or long barrel length.

The first rifle I was allowed to shoot was a Remington M12 octagonal barrel. I love pumps.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Now what did you go and do a darn'fool'idgit thing like that fer? Especially the 63M with the Mannlicher stock.
    Ya it had a cool value because of the stock and I always wanted one for that reason but then when I got it I realised how cheap they were made. Sloppy grooves for scope mounting, every 4th or 5th shot wouldn't fire (probably a weak firing pin spring) and it was really tiny (kids could have hunted with it). Now the 65M was a hard one to let go of, great feel and could get a scope to hold zero, almost didn't let that one go but why have two bolt action 22 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    ...why have two bolt action 22 mags.
    This coming from the guy who has more 99's tucked away than the Montreal Home Guard ordered back in the 1890's.

1914-1915, lol.

Ya, I knew I was gonna take a ribbing over that one, from a guy that has to have every pump 22 Savage made from 1903-1929, and the sad part is that I have every variation of model 29.

Basic Member
    The Winchester 22 WMR was introduce in 1959 so that's the earliest vintage you could find and no pumps, the first guns introduced chambered for it weren't even Winchesters - "The .22 WMR was introduced in 1959 by Winchester, but was not used by Winchester until the Winchester Model 61 slide rifle could be chambered for it in 1960. The first rifle to be offered in the new chambering was the Marlin Model 57M Levermatic rifle in 1959, because its design was easily modified to accept the more powerful cartridge. By the time of the introduction of the Winchester 61, Smith & Wesson and Ruger had revolvers for it, and Savage had come out with the Model 24"... so even savage beat them.

For something earlier you'll have be looking at the 22 WRF (same as 22 Remington Special) that goes back to the 1890's and Savage never made a pump for that.

I have to question the Model 19M being in 22 WMR,I think the 19's were discontinued years before it was introduce, was it 22 WRF? I didn't think they even did that. Stevens made some bolt actions in 22 WRF pre-WWII.

Steven's made pumps in 22 WRF (marked '22 7˝' on the barrel) and 25 Stevens Rimfire (the longs) before WWI, that's before Savage bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
    I have to question the Model 19M being in 22 WMR,I think the 19's were discontinued years before it was introduce, was it 22 WRF? I didn't think they even did that. Stevens made some bolt actions in 22 WRF pre-WWII.
    Ya your right Gene, maybe the gun I saw at auction had been rechambered to 22 WMR. I would love to find a 19H in 22 Hornet up here but if they're hard to find in the US it will be twice as hard up here.

You know that moment when the light bulb goes on and you realize "well duh!". Yeah, I just had one of those moments after reading Gene's post. Don't know why but I was thinking the 22 WMR had come out earlier than that. Must have been thinking the old 22 WRF.