Thread: First post--recommendations

Basic Member

First post--recommendations

After a severe injury which has left me handicapped I have recovered enough to once again to be interested in shooting. I have a Savage model 12 heavy barrel in 22-250 that I would like to install a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope. Are these considered to be a pretty decent scope? A few years ago they seemed to be considered very good, but reading some of the posts on here they seem to have lost some of the enthusiasm they once had. I realize this is by far not a high end scope but would it still be something decent for the rifle I have?

I also have a Savage model 10 in 243 I need to get scoped. Is the Redfield Revolution a decent scope? It seems to have pretty good reviews from what I can find and is reasonably priced. I would probably be thinking of a 3-9 power.

The most important thing to me is a scope that will hold zero and be able to not be destroyed by recoil. Light transmission and everything else is fine, but the most important is something that is reliable. Naturally the 22-250 with the heavy barrel doesn't have much recoil and the 243 is a long ways from a 300 mag but being as light as it is it still has considerable recoil.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

What is your intended use for each rifle? (Hunting? bench shooting, Prairie dog fields etc...) There are so many option out there these days that scopes have almost become "specialized". Vortex optics are a hit and miss (some get great ones, some get the lemons). Their warranty on the optic is second to none however, so if there is a problem with it, you send it in and they fix it or replace it.

Athlon optics have become more popular recently and are sold at a pretty good price point through their whole line, but I have had no personal experience with them yet. Stay away from the Nikon X and FX 1000 line as they are complete junk (personal experience). And lastly, what is your price point? With that information, there will be a lot of guys who can recommend something for you.

Basic Member
    With the 22-250 mostly target shooting. With the 243 possibly hunting. Depends on how much more recovery I make on that one.

I would spend up to $350 but anything that is rugged and dependable for a little less would be considered.

I would spend up to $350 but anything that is rugged and dependable for a little less would be considered.
    That is going to make it a tough one... Rugged and dependable for $350 is difficult. At that price point I can only suggest researching the Athlon line of optics and maybe talking to some guys who have one or have used one. Other than that I can only recommend scopes like a Leupold 4-12 standard duplex hunting optic. I have a Redfield Battlezone that is pretty good (now discontinued) Redfield is now owned by Leupold too, so the Revenge or Revolution should be comparable. Think I paid $300 for my battlezone.

Basic Member
    I bought a mueller 8-32, Its a lot of fun on the bench. Good glass, mushy turrets. I also have an Athlon Argos btr 6-24, also fun on the bench. ok turrets, ok glass, nice reticle. I am looking at a Vortex strike eagle for my next one. For target fun the magnification is always welcome.

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    So you would not recommend the Redfield Revolution? Its price is attractive but if it is not going to do the job I guess it isn't cheap at half the price. I was just going by what I read and have no firsthand knowledge about it.