Thread: M1907 Sling Configuration

M1907 Sling Configuration

I have been using my M1907 for a couple years now and have always used it in the standard configuration however I read a book lately by Jim Owens called The Leather Sling and Shooting Positions. In the book he mentioned another configuration that was used by the USMC rifle team where the frogs are facing the stock and both keepers are below the top frog, supposedly it's slightly more difficult to assume but is more secure, does anyone have any experience using the method described by J. Owens?
    Rusty Shackelford

Basic Member
    Sounds like what we call a loop sling. I never utilized it with a leather "Match" sling. But typically we disconnect the end from the butt of the rifle. Create a loop that functions like a lasso. The orientation described is used so it stays tight. Loop is placed high on the arm above the biceps just below the shoulder to avoid seeing your pulse in your sights. Sling can be tightened and loosened at the front end of the sling to adjust for each position.

Yea they're similar to the loop sling and I'm familiar with how to use it, mine is a leather match grade sling. Just looking for the general preferences in configurations and positives and negatives others found and what the most popular is. I would just try it out myself but it's about 10 degrees here at the moment so all I can really do is gather the consensus for now.
    Rusty Shackelford

Quote Originally Posted by Nub Hippie View Post
    I would just try it out myself but it's about 10 degrees here at the moment so all I can really do is gather the consensus for now.
    Pfffffffffft!!!!!!!!!!!! Man up and put your big-boy Carhartt's on and get your paste eating, window licking carcass out to the range.

If I can go out and shoot 120 rounds of .30-06 when it's -20F with the wind chill and the benches are covered in a sheet of ice, you can go shoot when it's 10F. LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brrrrrrr2018.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	5645

(note that I've never claimed to be the sharpest pencil in the box)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I could but it just sucks the fun right out of it for me lol, I did however end up trying the previously mentioned configuration and didn't find it to be any more difficult to get in and out of and provides an extremely steady shooting platform and did not loosen up as easily as the standard configuration with 1 keeper on each side of the frog. By the way the swivels pictured are not very good for a sling that will be adjusted often like mine and will be replaced asap with the round wire type, got them as a gift and really wanted to like them but they're just awful for this setup.

Rusty Shackelford